What can we share about residents and businesses when writing articles about events in SL?

AmberJoyBliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a very negative experience in SL a while ago. It is still  haunting me and I want to talk about it.

I want to name names of two people, the groups they use to recruit their targets, and the name of the business they operated from.

This experience desecrated me somehow and now this account is ruined, it is meaningless, I don't care if I violate some TOS rule and get suspended. I only care about what I write not being taken down.

Obviously LL can't do anything about what we post around the internet, but they can delete things from the forums.

What are our limits on sharing things about SL and in SL?

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, AmberJoyBliss said:

simple, you can not share any personal details, naming or even hinting on recognizable persons and businesses, at any level at  Linden owned channels.
It will get moderated, or removed. 

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In general advice, I'd strongly recommend that you don't throw everything away on the basis of your experience. You are not desecrated, your account is not ruined, it is not meaningless and you do not want to get banned because of those people. That is exactly what they'd like you to do, so don't fall for it. Take a break from Second Life if you need it, write it up on your own blog if that'll give you some closure, but leave the doors open to come back and find new friends.

If what happened to you breaks the rules, you can also abuse report the people involved. Not always an option, as some people are careful to never quite go over the line.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, AmberJoyBliss said:

This experience desecrated me somehow and now this account is ruined, it is meaningless

I heard about being AFK on a adult nude beach while tanning on a sun lounger may get one desecrated, yeah.
If you wanna avoid things happening you dont like, avoid them by learning from the mistakes you made.
Like Polenth said, there is actually no reason to dump your account.

22 hours ago, AmberJoyBliss said:

Problem is, if they were gonna allow personal details to be posted in a negative context..  nothing would stop fictional revenge posts that are only meant to harm people. You can't just objectively verify the circumstances. And I personally agree that the potential negative consequences for an innocent person to become a target and not being able to defend themselves outweigh whatever you can achieve with calling out people "rightfully"

2 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I guess I am a bit confused.. this is posted in a land forum and I am not sure I see how this is related to SL Land. I believe there is a general discussion forum that is not about land... and there is probably a social forum somewhere too. Might one of those be a better place for a thread like this?

General Discussion in the People forum is where it belongs.  Others have made this mistake in the past.  This one should be call General Land Discussion to avoid confusion 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

General Discussion in the People forum is where it belongs.  Others have made this mistake in the past.  This one should be call General Land Discussion to avoid confusion 

That is indeed correct! Wrong forum, can I move this to the right one? If not, fast solution is to report myself, have it deleted and repost. Thank you for the heads up!

On 12/27/2022 at 4:19 PM, Abnor Mole said:

Alwin is correct. You can find the Forum Participation Guidelines here

What you are describing would likely fall under the category of Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary.

Thank you for the reply, this does actually not belong in the forums at all. Stay tuned for removal of post. 

On 12/27/2022 at 1:30 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

simple, you can not share any personal details, naming or even hinting on recognizable persons and businesses, at any level at  Linden owned channels.
It will get moderated, or removed. 

That said, you  CAN post about it and share it on other social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, blogs and non-official forums, etc, and you can put links to those channels in your in-world profile. 

On 12/27/2022 at 4:01 AM, AmberJoyBliss said:

I want to talk about it.

So find some people in world and chat about it. Like this:

From "The Music Man".

If you want to gossip, organize an afternoon tea in world. Have some friends over, or meet in one of SL's many coffee shops.

One of the great things about Second Life is that everything is local. It's not a broadcast medium. You can talk to your neighbor over the backyard fence, but not broadcast to everyone. It's hard to be annoying beyond 100 meters, and if you figure out some way to do that, it's clearly griefing. This is why SL doesn't need an army of in-world moderators armed with ban hammers. Meta/Horizon and Roblox have that, and they need so many moderators they outsource to some low-wage country.

These forums are mostly for talking about the mechanics and operation of the world, with a bit of event promotion and real estate ads. They're not a social network.

19 hours ago, AmberJoyBliss said:

This is not worth the time, effort and energy. I sort of don't care anymore.

2023 is around the corner, and I am fired up for success with my dreams, SL & RL. Time to let go and create a life so good, this will not even be there as a memory.

Consider this topic closed on my behalf.

This is by far the best approach. I wish you all the best.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.