Weapons hud always bad?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are weapons & combat HUDs used in various RP games within SL. These use an external server and provide XP accounting and leveling in the game as well as weapons damage control. Plus they enforce part of the game rules. For instance with play rules if you have been killed is disables your avatar to some extent.

In addition to a game HUDs weapons have separate HUDs to make the weapon conform to the games rules; fire rate, magazine size - 10 rounds or 50 then stop to reload or whatever. Plus there are left-right wear, draw and holster, etc.

While there are lots of things in SL that can be used for griefing I doubt 99% of weapons + HUDs are designed for griefing. I think most (may be 90%) are designed to be compatible with as many games as possible.

There are griefer guns. One only has to look at the controls and bullet types to know which is which. Having bullets that shroud one in smoke or kicks the target  into orbit teans to be the griefer toys. I've never seen a game that allows either of those bullet types.

In SL lots of people have opinions. And many of those opinions have no actual support. So whether I or Belinda have it right, it is hard to KNOW. I'll suggest that anyone that makes blanket statements about SL likely has it wrong. SL like RL is complicated...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There are weapons & combat HUDs used in various RP games within SL. These use an external server and provide XP accounting and leveling in the game as well as weapons damage control. Plus they enforce part of the game rules. For instance with play rules if you have been killed is disables your avatar to some extent.

In addition to a game HUDs weapons have separate HUDs to make the weapon conform to the games rules; fire rate, magazine size - 10 rounds or 50 then stop to reload or whatever. Plus there are left-right wear, draw and holster, etc.

While there are lots of things in SL that can be used for griefing I doubt 99% of weapons + HUDs are designed for griefing. I think most (may be 90%) are designed to be compatible with as many games as possible.

There are griefer guns. One only has to look at the controls and bullet types to know which is which. Having bullets that shroud one in smoke or kicks the target  into orbit teans to be the griefer toys. I've never seen a game that allows either of those bullet types.

In SL lots of people have opinions. And many of those opinions have no actual support. So whether I or Belinda have it right, it is hard to KNOW. I'll suggest that anyone that makes blanket statements about SL likely has it wrong. SL like RL is complicated...

which is why I said to flag them...................................

let the powers that be decide................................

• Confused 1

Yes, your shtick is getting old.  

The items.the OP mentioned ARE for fun and things like that have been around for years.  Flagging everything that MIGHT be used to.grief is a waste of everyone's time.  

@Clarke Millarif you see someone using an item such as you mentioned to grief, that, in my opinion, is the time to file an abuse report.and not report something that MIGHT be used in that way.  I'm sure many of us have used silly items like.the gun that fires frogs that was mentioned above.  Mine shoots bananas.  🍌

• Like 6

In the early days (somewhere in 2008 I guess) we used Christmas trees one hot summer night to bug people on a beach.
So go and flag all the Christmas trees on the marketplace, they are possible grief tools.
🙈

And wasn't there that famous watermelon shooter from Torley Linden?

Edited by Sid Nagy
There is always a reason to edit.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

You'll find plenty of RP and other types of sims that are set up for combat for guns and swords and whatever else you can fight someone with..

AR the person if they are using an item in a bad way. Because an item never got up and hurt anyone on it's own, 10 out of 10 times it's someone using it.. heheheh

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

Done the combat sim stuff, was fun but got old pretty fast. I'm in SL for SL, not for an FPS game. Taking most weapons out of a combat sim just causes a slight annoyance, if at all. For the most part.  Don't do it, you'll get banned pretty fast.

Once this guy managed to to beam both me and my Porsche up into his space ship. It was a race, pretty liberal sim as far as what's allowed, and since I was about to beat him he resorted to that. He's a friend, though, and pretty  no holds barred agreed beforehand. I was impressed more than annoyed :)  

• Like 1

Hi, @Clarke Millar!

Rowan and Sid have given you great advice. The things themselves should not be reported or flagged, because it's how they are USED that's important. A weapon or a HUD can be a great deal of fun, when used between consenting parties. This could be in a combat region, or simply horsing around with your friends. It's when they are used to annoy people that you get griefing behavior, and that's what you should report.

Yes, I know. Some of those tools ARE found in the hands of griefers more often than not, and no doubt their sellers are taking advantage of the "it's not the thing, it's how it's used" policy to gain a veneer of legitimacy. I'm reminded of an old cartoon. A gun shop salesman is showing a bazooka to a man. "Of course it's a hunting weapon," he says. "Just imagine you've cornered a deer and he runs into an old abandoned warehouse..."

• Like 3

Some of the most fun teenage me, about a whole lifetime ago, had on SL was creating the most obnoxious effects we could think of and using them, consensually, on each other. I wouldn't doubt that's where most these still get used... I can't actually even remember when I last got hit by a griefer who had more than particle spam to offer. It used to be more common, granted, but these days it isn't.

I mean, think about it. When's the last time you got orbited or the like?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

I mean, think about it. When's the last time you got orbited or the like?

Ages ago... maybe 2009?
I remember that was the time when shields were popular to hold your spot no matter what.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

I can't actually even remember when I last got hit by a griefer who had more than particle spam to offer

One of my favorite memories was from years ago, when I was teaching my Safety class at Caledon Oxbridge. One of the students got rowdy and disruptive, so I ejected him. He retaliated by filling the lecture hall with school buses.

Fun times.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, Clarke Millar said:

My understanding is these are mostly used for griefing, can anyone attest to actually using them for fun and laughs?

They're just a bit of fun 🙂 You haven't second-lived until you've been orbited by a nuclear missile ☢️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.