PhD researcher wanting to interview residents about in-world shopping habits

GuliaMCR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I filed it in but as you're not collecting the name of the platform that respondents use, I doubt that it's going to be very helpful.  The processes involved in purchasing for each platform vary widely and the way it is in Second Life doesn't compare well with others.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GuliaMCR said:

Hi everyone! My name is Gulia and I am a phd student doing my research about virtual consumption on Metaverse and what product and virtual world characteristics impact the purchasing intention. I would highly appreciate if you could help me with my research and do the survey if you are older than 18 and if you have ever purchased virtual objects for your avatar. Thanks in advance! Please help me out-karma points guaranteed:)
https://bocconi.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4OubEtxYtu3J0Ng

I  responded to your survey here, instead of the other thread!  I trust this thread better.  The links look safer.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, GuliaMCR said:

@Maitimo I use the term "metaverse" to define the platform that has social virtual world characteristics. SL fits these characteristics.

Except that by capitalizing it in your original post, you are indeed implying that you do mean Zuck's Metaverse.  If you want to use the term generically, then you should not capitalize it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, the "I'm doing research, fill out my form" people.

There was someone doing research for their thesis on another topic last week. I suggested they set up a little office in-world and interview people there. Only a small fraction of SL users ever visit the forums, and those are mostly either people working to improve SL or having problems. No reply. Their in-world account has a totally blank profile - no info, no picks, no payment info used.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, animats said:

There was someone doing research for their thesis on another topic last week. I suggested they set up a little office in-world and interview people there. Only a small fraction of SL users ever visit the forums, and those are mostly either people working to improve SL or having problems. No reply. Their in-world account has a totally blank profile - no info, no picks, no payment info used.

It was 22 questions after the "openers". Not terrible, and I usually don't do these.

BONUS: No "essay-style" questions. Just 1-7.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Too many flaws in that survey.  That is what happens when students try to do research and papers on things that they do not fully understand and have not actually used. 

I wonder if the teachers are smart enough to figure out when the students didn't really "try" to learn something about the "metaverse" themselves?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GuliaMCR said:

Hi everyone! My name is Gulia and I am a phd researcher doing my research about virtual consumption on Metaverse and what product and virtual world characteristics impact the purchasing intention. I would highly appreciate if you could help me with my research and do the survey if you are older than 18 and if you have ever purchased virtual objects for your avatar. Thanks in advance! https://bocconi.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4OubEtxYtu3J0Ng

Maybe you should read the Community Guidelines about posting in these forums. Then you would know that posting the same thing in multiple locations is considered SPAM.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, animats said:

That is because they don't give a poop about any of us. Like the empty thanks and so forth, it just sounds like so much "thanks, suckers" to me. It's people trying to unlock achievements in their educational gaming, not people who are trying to actually learn anything. This is why university degrees aren't worth anything anymore, everyone knows that now it's just a matter of buying a degree and shunting all of the actual intellectual effort onto underlings, meaning all of you.

I remember how astonished my professors were when they found out I was actually taking notes on the subject matter, and trying to learn. That was my reality check. I was literally the only person there who even cared about learning anything.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I've just done the survey, which is generally not badly designed, although a few of the questions are a tiny bit odd in the context of Second Life.

For those who worry about data and bona fides, you'll find information about the institution, the RL identity of the poster, and a statement that the data collection conforms to GDPR in the "Informed Consent" document linked in the survey itself. None of the questions involved disclosing identifying information about myself (beyond the usual generalities of sex, age, etc.)

I have no hesitation in accepting this as genuine (although I suppose it's possible web addresses could be spoofed, or whatever).

@GuliaMCR, you might want (without revealing your RL identity here) to point people to the Informed Consent, and be a bit more forthcoming about the purpose of the research, the nature of the institution, etc.: people here are understandably wary about sharing information and the more you can provide upfront, the more likely you are to get a response.

The other thing is that people here -- again understandably -- tend to be critical of those who simply create accounts to set surveys here, rather than spending time in-world and learning at least the rudiments of the platform. If you have done this, you should say so.

My last point is that your survey casts a very wide net in terms of "metaverse" platforms. SL is not at all like Decentraland, VRChat, etc., for a great many reasons. For instance, your questions about data harvesting from vendors really don't apply -- in terms of RL information, anyway -- in Second Life. I think that the form and function of different platforms are very diverse, and lumping them altogether without making any attempt to distinguish particular systems and experiences is likely to render your data much less useful. Second Life, remember, has been around for 19 years -- it, and its philosophy and function -- predate the current metaverse craze substantially.

Good luck with your survey!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, PheebyKatz said:

That is because they don't give a poop about any of us. Like the empty thanks and so forth, it just sounds like so much "thanks, suckers" to me.

This reminds me, @GuliaMCR -- will the results of your research be at all available to those whom you are surveying? I assume that this is for a thesis, in which case it should eventually be public. Promising to make your results public tends to make us feel a little less like rats in a maze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I don’t know, I am doing my PhD in an area I truly understand and am invested in. Why would anyone do a PhD in something they don’t know anything about is beyond me.

Why would you think the OP is not knowledgeable about and invested in their subject?

I'm pretty sure, from the survey, that Second Life is not itself her focus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GuliaMCR said:

@Coffee Pancakethank you for your contribution, i highly appreciate it. Yes, I am new to this community as well as to other Metaverse communities and this topic is new to me. However, I am trying to learn step by step and hope people will share their experiences and help me.

Thanks again for your time.

Have a nice weekend.

Gulia

@Scylla Rhiadra

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on the above response, i am just saying that one wouldn’t do a PhD in quantum physics without having a solid knowledge of physics. Doing a PhD in “metaverse shopping habits” without playing around in a “Metaverse” of some kind and being a newbie at it seems the same as attempting a quantum physics PhD without understanding how quantum mechanics works. 

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.