18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The International Chess Federation (FIDE) has decided to effectively ban trans women from chess competitions

Why are there even different classes between males and females in the first place...?
One could argue that chess would only need one single class, open to all genders.
Problem solved.

Edited by QuietEventide
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:
21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

PET PEEVE:  I'm having trouble getting my lazy butt over to a Blender lesson.

You could consider taking the rest of you, and leaving your lazy butt behind.

I'm in deep conversation with it atm, and have almost convinced it to come along. Unfortunately, I can't leave home without it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The International Chess Federation (FIDE) has decided to effectively ban trans women from chess competitions for up to two years, and will strip players who have transitioned of the prizes previously won because . . .

. . . um, trans women have a natural "advantage" at chess over cis women? Due to . . . testosterone? Or something?

Peeve: Misogynistic, transphobic idiots.

Not sure if I replied this, but meant to:  What about Trans Men?  Shouldn't they be banned from competitions with other Men?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not sure if I replied this, but meant to:  What about Trans Men?  Shouldn't they be banned from competitions with other Men?

The 2-year ban explicitly applies only to trans women; I've found no mention of a parallel penalty levied against trans men.

FIDE also has a different new policy regarding the retention of past titles following transition:

"4.1. Titles. If a player holds any of the women titles, but the gender has been changed to a man, the women titles are to be abolished. Those can be renewed if the person changes the gender back to a woman [...]

If a player has changed the gender from a man into a woman, all the previous titles remain eligible."

This is presumably because mens titles are more "legitimate" than women's ones: a trans man can't "pretend" that titles won while representing as his biological birth sex (i.e., female) "count" once he is representing as a man, with the implicit assumption that this is because titles awarded to women don't mean as much, and it would be misrepresenting their value to allow a trans man to claim them.

Yeah. It's stupid.

25 minutes ago, QuietEventide said:

Why are there even different classes between males and females in the first place...?
One could argue that chess would only need one single class, open to all genders.
Problem solved.

Yep!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The International Chess Federation (FIDE) has decided to effectively ban trans women from chess competitions for up to two years, and will strip players who have transitioned of the prizes previously won because . . .

. . . um, trans women have a natural "advantage" at chess over cis women? Due to . . . testosterone? Or something?

Peeve: Misogynistic, transphobic idiots.

For a bunch of experts of chess, this was a really bad move.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Peeved.

My new phone arrived. Not that I want it, per se, but evidently having an up-to-date smartphone is a requirement to at all survive in modern society, and my old phone was pretty much at death's door. So, charge up the new phone, go find a sewing needle to pop the SIM card over, start the new phone up and .. The old phone dies. Like, takes its final breath there and then. Oh well, I don't really care about that, except ..

.. I didn't get a chance to transfer my phone book. And guess where I wrote down the gobbledy***** that I punched in all those years ago when Apple wanted me to make an account with them? In the phone, of course, because where else in the world would I ever want to besmirch mine hands with something as ludicrous and stupid as an AppleID? 

At least this time around when I made up a new one I could tie it to my actual email so that there's a sensible way of resetting it.

Also to install a certain Swedish bank app you now need to use the phone to photo your passport or ID card. Worked fine until it wanted to verify with the outside of the passport. You know, that faux gold-tooling that rubbed off after 2 minutes the first time I put it in my pocket. Frickin' brilliant idea, that. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

FIDE .........

Yeah. It's stupid.

The chess world is full of huge mathematical brains. This type of people are generally speaking not really known for their social awkwardness. Have a look at the long list of somewhat strange incidents, fights and drama.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Glad I hate sports and never learned how to play chess so I circumvent this issue. I'll stay inside with my games, thanks. They can't argue where I'm supposed to go if I don't participate.

It is STUPID though.

Edited by cariboustag
Spelling
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Try gobbledygoop instead. It's the k that does it because it is an Asian slur.

Yes, but since when do bad words turn into asterisks? And it's pretty silly when it dissects words and goes 'aha this part of the word could be considered a bad word so let's censure it!'.

Do people even still use that slur? It feels positively ancient. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Yes, but since when do bad words turn into asterisks? And it's pretty silly when it dissects words and goes 'aha this part of the word could be considered a bad word so let's censure it!'.

At one time the filters were converting part of the legacy SL name, "Sweetwater," to asterisks.

Let's see if that still happens . . .

ETA: Ok, they fixed that. It used to become "Swee****er"

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Orwar said:

When LL sets the word filters to bleep only the "bad" part. Yes, it is silly.

I still use the gobbledy word, but I've never used it as a racial slur. The single word by itself, I have never use it to insult/humiliate anyone. But, since so many find even the gobbledy word offensive I changed it to goop. That was decades ago.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

At one time the filters were converting part of the legacy SL name, "Sweetwater," to asterisks.

Let's see if that still happens . . .

ETA: Ok, they fixed that. It used to become "Swee****er"

Next: "Water" become a bad word! 

Kind of like on some platforms (TikTok, etc.) where they have to say "unalive"..whereas, in actual really reality, we will all be unalive one day. Sorry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Peeve: I have no clue what to do with the rest of my life.
Since I had to stop with working, life mainly became boring, with exception of some days.
They became very boring.

A well, it is what it is.
Carry on, nothing to see here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

My personal take on this chess thing is that we are being played.

I am putting forward a theory that people are being played against each other on a massive scale.
Specifically, we are seeing the old technique of "divide and rule".

The purpose, from my very personal viewpoint, seems to be:
to keep people perpetually unhappy, demoralised and in-fighting between themselves.

It's a rather sad outlook, I know. 
That's why I'm making this post - in the hope that I am wrong!

Some groups I can think of being relentlessly played against each other are:

• men against women
  • old against young
  • black against white
  • immigrants against residents
  • LGBT against CIS
  • homeowners against renters
  • working people against unemployed
  • "left wing" against "right wing" (a massive group)
  • petrol car owners against environmentalists
  • trans chess players against all other chess players...

There are many more, but these groups popped into my head first.
"Divide and rule" seems to be actively pushed by channels like television, newspapers, large marketing companies, politically driven vested interests etc.

---------------------------------------
In the case of chess, I would like to take a closer look at the board/management of the Chess Federation.
Who, exactly, took this decision to play one group of chess players against other groups of chess players?
Where exactly did such an order originate? It must have originated with a person. Someone decided this. Who was it?

That's where we should look. "We the people" should not get distracted into in-fighting.
Look further.

---------------------------------------
I also think this specific attempt at causing division among chess players (seriously...?) needs to be seen in a larger perspective.
This "divide and rule" concept is going on in every corner of society. Someone wants things this way.

Next question: Qui bono? Who gains?
I do not have any answer to that. The road ahead becomes too foggy around that bend.

Edited by QuietEventide
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: I have no clue what to do with the rest of my life.
Since I had to stop with working, life mainly became boring, with exception of some days.

Maybe write down 10 things you secretly want to do, pin them to a wall, then have a few drinks, put on a blindfold and spin around in a circle, then throw a dart at the wall...and do the thing that you hit? 🙂

• Like 3