Not a peeve: The new audio gear I was both peeving and antipeeving on recently got its debut on live gigs in SL last week. The venue staff who I asked to listen critically and give me any notes they had on the sound and mix quality of my performances were universally complimentary. So that's a YAY!

This weekend, with a little time on my hands, I cast an eye over what USED to be a neatly laid out and patched studio setup with diligent cable management and a perfectly configured pedalboard for my instrument and vox FX.

This... is a peeve. Box with the  spare velcro tape, cable ties and patch cables is currently strewn all over my floor as I try to make some kind of neatly managed sense out of it all. By the end of this weekend it will be "unpeeved" but while it's getting done, OMG is it ever a peeve...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Not a peeve: The new audio gear I was both peeving and antipeeving on recently got its debut on live gigs in SL last week. The venue staff who I asked to listen critically and give me any notes they had on the sound and mix quality of my performances were universally complimentary. So that's a YAY!

This weekend, with a little time on my hands, I cast an eye over what USED to be a neatly laid out and patched studio setup with diligent cable management and a perfectly configured pedalboard for my instrument and vox FX.

This... is a peeve. Box with the  spare velcro tape, cable ties and patch cables is currently strewn all over my floor as I try to make some kind of neatly managed sense out of it all. By the end of this weekend it will be "unpeeved" but while it's getting done, OMG is it ever a peeve...

Yeah, my emergency backup kid has a 50+ channel board in his studio, waiting to be re-connected. He estimates that the total weight of the snakes and individual cables from his original installation weighed over 300 pounds. I wondered if he couldn't replace those heavy snakes with shielded Ethernet cable, which led us to discover this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yeah, my emergency backup kid has a 50+ channel board in his studio, waiting to be re-connected. He estimates that the total weight of the snakes and individual cables from his original installation weighed over 300 pounds. I wondered if he couldn't replace those heavy snakes with shielded Ethernet cable, which led us to discover this...

Good to know! 

13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yep.  A lot of digital boards these days have this built in. My new one does, there's a port on the back for a "digital snake" connection which is basically ethernet running from the board to a stage box, making the connectors on the stage box available to the mixer for treating as input or output patches. The guy who normally runs sound when the band I'm in plays live IRL is already saying things like "I'll buy it for you, and a decent flight case.. just bring this board to our gigs please!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: when you wake up and pet the cat laying next to you in bed, and now the bed has three quarters of a billion little seed pods in it that were stuck in his fur. 

Be glad they aren't cockleburs. They hurt!

https://www.fs.fed.us/r3/resources/health/invasives/greenForbs/commoncocklebur.shtml

090302cp.jpg

Marul-umattai_(Tamil-_%E0%AE%AE%E0%AE%B0

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'll send you the texture I have from 7DS that shows where each of their female skin tones fits into their spectrum. It's on the board on the right in this picture.

1238250294_MyPlatform-Aug7_001.thumb.jpg.64d93e70f194cb97c8bbae8f54955dbf.jpg

The problem with a lot of places is, the skins are in alphabetical order in the folder when you grab a demo.  If they were numbered, they could be from light to dark which would make it much easier than having to try on each and every shade before finding the one you like.  I often grab demos before actually seeing the shades and colors on the vendor.   What the heck is Pecan?  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Yep.  A lot of digital boards these days have this built in. My new one does, there's a port on the back for a "digital snake" connection which is basically ethernet running from the board to a stage box, making the connectors on the stage box available to the mixer for treating as input or output patches. The guy who normally runs sound when the band I'm in plays live IRL is already saying things like "I'll buy it for you, and a decent flight case.. just bring this board to our gigs please!"

What about TosLink (digital audio cable)?

19 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Your digital snake is not the same thing as we're contemplating. Mac's board is all ancient analog. He has old analog 8-channel snakes, which are about 3/4" in diameter and very heavy, with individual XLR connectors on each end. It takes thirteen of those to feed the board. I proposed using flat Cat-7 cable to gather four channels. Thirteen of those take less space and weight than one old snake.

I love the "digital snake" idea, as it puts the conversion to digital as close to the stage/performer/instrument as possible. I am, however, unable to put a dent in Mac's love of all things analog... and knobby.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I have several rolls of the stuff, ranging in width from 1/2 to 3 inches.

I will now imagine you doing this...

We've got a lot of work to do, Scylla.

Pffft. I can assure you that my parents never used velcro to keep their guitar cords neat and tidy!

Now . . . the velcro TV remote idea? That's kinda good . . .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Your digital snake is not the same thing as we're contemplating. Mac's board is all ancient analog. He has old analog 8-channel snakes, which are about 3/4" in diameter and very heavy, with individual XLR connectors on each end. It takes thirteen of those to feed the board. I proposed using flat Cat-7 cable to gather four channels. Thirteen of those take less space and weight than one old snake.

I love the "digital snake" idea, as it puts the conversion to digital as close to the stage/performer/instrument as possible. I am, however, unable to put a dent in Mac's love of all things analog... and knobby.

Don't get me wrong - I too love analog gear. A suitable inference may be drawn from the fact that it's taken me this long to move to a digital mixer as my "main board" and even then I went with one that preserves my "baked in" (Oh Lord, how MANY of those gigs was I totally baked at?) analog workflows....

high-category ethernet cable is indeed a suitable candidate to carry 4 balanced channels of audio. Those 8-channel snakes that are so thick often have each pair individually screened and their screens are not connected, thus the 8 XLRs they convey are not interconnected in any way. 4-channels-over-cat7 has a single screen for all 4 audio pairs. - Now, this should not be an issue. The screen should be hard bonded to ground or it is ineffective and so individual or single screen shouldn't matter. The 4 channels over the ethernet cable would, however, be more vulnerable to crosstalk. A lot of modern gear can automatically reject this and remove it as an issue. Being sensible with your patch and restricting each ethernet cable to carrying only "related" channels - like you dont mix vox, guitars, drum mics on the same 4-pair ethernet cable - can go a long way to making it not matter even if it happens. With the old style snakes, you dont need to give a monkey's... You can put whatever channels down the snake you want and they wont risk crosstalk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Don't get me wrong - I too love analog gear. A suitable inference may be drawn from the fact that it's taken me this long to move to a digital mixer as my "main board" and even then I went with one that preserves my "baked in" (Oh Lord, how MANY of those gigs was I totally baked at?) analog workflows....

high-category ethernet cable is indeed a suitable candidate to carry 4 balanced channels of audio. Those 8-channel snakes that are so thick often have each pair individually screened and their screens are not connected, thus the 8 XLRs they convey are not interconnected in any way. 4-channels-over-cat7 has a single screen for all 4 audio pairs. - Now, this should not be an issue. The screen should be hard bonded to ground or it is ineffective and so individual or single screen shouldn't matter. The 4 channels over the ethernet cable would, however, be more vulnerable to crosstalk. A lot of modern gear can automatically reject this and remove it as an issue. Being sensible with your patch and restricting each ethernet cable to carrying only "related" channels - like you dont mix vox, guitars, drum mics on the same 4-pair ethernet cable - can go a long way to making it not matter even if it happens. With the old style snakes, you dont need to give a monkey's... You can put whatever channels down the snake you want and they wont risk crosstalk.

All of his snakes carry low impedance signals from things sharing common grounds (rack gear). The pairs inside his fat snakes have maybe two turns per foot, the flat Cat 7 cable I tested has four twists per inch. I did both crosstalk and frequency response tests and found the Ethernet cable to be superior. If crosstalk is a problem, flat Cat7 will help, as pairs maintain their orientation along the cable. Move the offending signal to a pair that's not adjacent to the victim and terminate any unused pairs to ground.

I'd be a bit more cautious in high impedance and ground mismatch applications, but even there I think Cat7 is worth considering. I weigh less than half as much as Mac and I'm almost twice as old, so I favor lightweight solutions.

54 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The problem with a lot of places is, the skins are in alphabetical order in the folder when you grab a demo.  If they were numbered, they could be from light to dark which would make it much easier than having to try on each and every shade before finding the one you like.  I often grab demos before actually seeing the shades and colors on the vendor.   What the heck is Pecan?  

Pecan at 7DS is a soft brown with a grey tone added. The texture of their different skin tones shows how they'll often add a bit of grey to a skin tone and then call it by another name. Their medium to dark tones are named after woods - oak, maple, pecan, walnut, etc. Fudge is their darkest brown, but they don't make many skins in the darkest tones.

18 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

You can have 'em!

I do think the comparison to childbirth is incomplete, though. I did not give birth to my emergency backup kid, but he's been a pain in my ass for decades.

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'd be a bit more cautious in high impedance and ground mismatch applications, but even there I think Cat7 is worth considering. I weigh less than half as much as Mac and I'm almost twice as old, so I favor lightweight solutions.

Agreed - one of the things that kept me stuck to a particular line of analog mixers for so long is that they had inputs that could be switched to high-Z. But with the new one I found a relatively cheap local source for multichannel active DI boxes that could be phantom powered and which have proved to be well made and affordable in sufficient quantity I need no High-Z inputs on the board.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I did not give birth to my emergency backup kid, but he's been a pain in my ass for decades.

Thus demonstrating that that's not "childbirth" pain but "child rearing" pain. Try having a daughter and a stepson that are three weeks apart in age in the same house for even one week. When the pair of teens decided it was time to gang up on the parental units....

Katie, bar the door!

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax