14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I suspect that Lindal meant you can always leave the Experience later if you want to.  Will you get auto-ejected if you leave the Experience while you're there? My guess is that you probably won't, although that's possible. It's more likely that you simply won't be able to do a lot of things that are scripted to work in the Experience -- like play certain games, sit or ride or objects, use vendors, open doors, use teleportals. An Experience gives scripters ways to personalize many functions by, for example, storing game scores in KVP or temporarily attaching HUDs or other tools that are used on the region.  Some of those things can be done without an Experience but many cannot (or are much clumsier).  So, you have a choice whether to enter the region and participate the way that the owner intended visitors to.  If you change your mind after going in, I suspect that you'll be disappointed but that's your choice too.

I asked because it happened to me once. I don't know if there is a feature in the experience that can be set to eject or not eject. I'm not premium and therefore don't have access to the tool(s).

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I suspect that Lindal meant you can always leave the Experience later if you want to.  Will you get auto-ejected if you leave the Experience while you're there? My guess is that you probably won't, although that's possible. It's more likely that you simply won't be able to do a lot of things that are scripted to work in the Experience -- like play certain games, sit or ride or objects, use vendors, open doors, use teleportals. An Experience gives scripters ways to personalize many functions by, for example, storing game scores in KVP or temporarily attaching HUDs or other tools that are used on the region.  Some of those things can be done without an Experience but many cannot (or are much clumsier).  So, you have a choice whether to enter the region and participate the way that the owner intended visitors to.  If you change your mind after going in, I suspect that you'll be disappointed but that's your choice too.

I mean if you are that scared, it is pretty easy to read what the experience is gonna do to you. Before you click okay. That is what I do, so I know what is going down. 

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I asked because it happened to me once. I don't know if there is a feature in the experience that can be set to eject or not eject. I'm not premium and therefore don't have access to the tool(s).

That's fine, Silent. I didn't say that it couldn't eject you or refuse to let you enter the region. I just said that I didn't think it probably would. It all depends on how the scripter has written it.  

BTW, you don't need to be Premium to accept an Experience and use the features that it has made available. All of the LL games like PaleoQuest and Linden Realms use Experiences, for example, and you can play them whether you are Premium or not.  The only thing you can't do as a Basic member is to own an Experience, which means that you can't put one on your own land if you want to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean if you are that scared, it is pretty easy to read what the experience is gonna do to you. Before you click okay. That is what I do, so I know what is going down. 

Not really. It will tell you what tools it wants access to, not how it intends to use them.

I'll admit that I always hesitate before saying yes to an experience, but I rarely go places where I'm likely to find myself feeling uncomfortable or regretting it. Mostly they are shopping experiences.

I've never actually had a bad one, so it's mostly just excessive caution and a teeny bit of paranoia on my part.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not really. It will tell you what tools it wants access to, not how it intends to use them.

I'll admit that I always hesitate before saying yes to an experience, but I rarely go places where I'm likely to find myself feeling uncomfortable or regretting it. Mostly they are shopping experiences.

I've never actually had a bad one, so it's mostly just excessive caution and a teeny bit of paranoia on my part.

That is why I say I read it first before I click okay. I am not gonna mindlessly give someone access to certain things. I am not that stupid. I mean I read fine print for everything. Lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Thanks. 

That's not what I meant. You have to be Premium in order to create an experience.

Speaking of premium, I am probably gonna go back to premium at the end of this month. Just monthly, but it's better than nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Paranoia is good for you. It keeps you from wandering willy-nilly into tigers. 

It's smart to be alert to scams and potential risks.  On the grand scale of Scary Things That Might Hurt You in SL, Experiences rank pretty low though. Many of the things that they ask permission to do are things that you already grant automatically without knowing it (like animating your avatar when you sit on a scripted chair), but they do them more efficiently.  Others are things that you would otherwise get a barrage of pesky permission dialog boxes for ( "This object requests PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS and PERMISSION_CONTROL_CAMERA. Is this OK?"  -- Well, duh.  How am I going to drive this car and see where I'm going if I can't control it?).  In other words, Experiences are mostly just making it easier for you to do things that you would do anyway but with more hassle.  Among the most important things that an Experience cannot do (and can't even ask) is Permission to debit your account.  You and your paranoia are safe from that worry.

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Does RLV rank higher than Experiences?

In my personal opinion, yes. I do understand that people who use RLV are voluntarily giving up some control, just as they are with Experiences. They are giving up control over more things, though, and some are things that I am personally uncomfortable with (like forceably removing my clothing, for example).  In the heat of the moment, I fear that I would forget how to revoke my permissions.  But that's just me.  Plenty of people have less RLV paranoia than I do.

BTW, as far as I know, RLV cannot ask for PERMISSION_DEBIT, so at least on that score it and Experiences are equally safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

In my personal opinion, yes. I do understand that people who use RLV are voluntarily giving up some control, just as they are with Experiences. They are giving up control over more things, though, and some are things that I am personally uncomfortable with (like forceably removing my clothing, for example).  In the heat of the moment, I fear that I would forget how to revoke my permissions.  But that's just me.  Plenty of people have less RLV paranoia than I do.

BTW, as far as I know, RLV cannot ask for PERMISSION_DEBIT, so at least on that score it and Experiences are equally safe.

That is why it is always a good idea to read what the Experience is gonna do to your avatar, before you click okay. And with RLV lock it down to yourself or to someone you totally trust. I don't understand people who will have their RLV wide open to everyone, you can get creeps who will do stuff to you. That you are uncomfortable with. Same with experiences, make sure you read it and understand it and trust it. Also make sure that the person who created the Experience is a trusted source and not some rando. 

• Like 1

I'd like to clarify that I did not post what I did because of paranoia. I know exactly how Experiences do and don't work, what they do and don't do...I just find it annoying that a sim owner would require an Experience be accepted just for entry. It's dumb. Anyone doing this : IT'S DUMB.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Just now, Modulated said:

I'd like to clarify that I did not post what I did because of paranoia. I know exactly how Experiences do and don't work, what they do and don't do...I just find it annoying that a sim owner would require an Experience be accepted just for entry. It's dumb. Anyone doing this : IT'S DUMB.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I mean I don't think it's dumb. Especially if they have created an experience on their sim and have worked hard on it too. Then I would like to be able to experience it. And if one of the requirements is to accept it or be banned. Then I am fine with that. It is entirely up to the owner. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean I don't think it's dumb. Especially if they have created an experience on their sim and have worked hard on it too. Then I would like to be able to experience it. And if one of the requirements is to accept it or be banned. Then I am fine with that. It is entirely up to the owner. 

I said it was the right of the owner in my 1st post, but another thing, Cica Ghost one of the most well known sim creators ever, doesn't require that you accept the experience for entry. There is an object there telling you about the environemnt settings and the build. The sims I went to were not these kinds of sims, not even on that level. So, it's dumb.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Modulated said:

So, it's dumb.

Yeah, it might be.  Still, that's not necessarily the owner's opinion, and he's the only one who counts. ;) 

Just so you know, allowing or forbidding entry is not a function of the Experience itself. If an owner has made that choice, he has included a deliberate test to check whether you have accepted the Experience and then is using a different function (like llAddToLandPassList) to let you enter (or not).  That's why I said earlier that I thought it was unlikely that you'd get bumped from the region for not accepting the Experience. I just don't think most owners would go to the trouble of doing that. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, it might be.  Still, that's not necessarily the owner's opinion, and he's the only one who counts. ;) 

Just so you know, allowing or forbidding entry is not a function of the Experience itself. If an owner has made that choice, he has included a deliberate test to check whether you have accepted the Experience and then is using a different function (like llAddToLandPassList) to let you enter (or not).  That's why I said earlier that I thought it was unlikely that you'd get bumped from the region for not accepting the Experience. I just don't think most owners would go to the trouble of doing that. 

I actually tried going to a place in the destination guide this.last week that bounced me twice before a.popup telling me the region owner required me to accept an experience before entering.  It wasn't set up very well IMO.  It should also have been mentioned in the Destination Guide write-up.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I actually tried going to a place in the destination guide this.last week that bounced me twice before a.popup telling me the region owner required me to accept an experience before entering.  It wasn't set up very well IMO.  It should also have been mentioned in the Destination Guide write-up.

I hate when people don't write down certain things, whether it be lacking info for something like what you went through or even them not writing what body is something rigged for. I feel like a lot of people in SL are really bad for this. And then when you bring it up to them, the owner/creator will get mad at you for not reading. Look buddy, nowhere did it say anything about this, Maybe explicitly let us know if something like this is a requirement. I am not psychic, nor have been to this sim before. So expecting me to know, is rather presumptuous of you. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

By the way, I've never had any problems with Experiences I've accepted. By that, I mean that they do enhance your, um, experience and they don't do anything harmful.

No, to reiterate, neither have I.

My hesitation is, as I tried to suggest, excessive and maybe slightly paranoid. But then, honestly, I'm a little paranoid too about sitting on furniture that isn't mine, merely because I do like having full control, and I don't like surprises (and have, in the past, had a few, albeit nothing too serious).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Does anybody else wonder why Panties are now wedgie machines in SL? I mean it's so far up the crack of their butts, that looks so uncomfortable looking at it. Lol 

I think it's because most the skins on mesh bodies don't have the ugly dark butt spot problem anymore.  😄