1 hour ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I find The Netherlands very intriguing! I would love to visit there. I even hear that they are more open to immigrants than most Western countries, as they need workers. Sounds temping if you have skills that match some job that some company can’t fill with a Dutch worker.

People with the right skills are certainly welcome. But it is not totally Sugar Candy Mountain over here. Heck we don't even have mountains. 90+% is as flat as a pool table. But we have great scenery in a lot of places.

Housing is a huge problem. Finding a place to live is difficult. We face a huge housing shortage. Costs of living has become expensive over the years.
But we are still in the top 10 of the happiest people in the world.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

90+% is as flat as a pool table

And like a fourth below sea level? 😬

Peeve: Housing and inflation seem to be big problems everywhere, ugh.

Anti-peeve #1: In spite of peeve still has high life satisfaction!

Anti-peeve #2: Lots of dykes!!! 😉💀

42 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Housing is a huge problem. Finding a place to live is difficult. We face a huge housing shortage.

42 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

But we are still in the top 10 of the happiest people in the world.

Do you have to share beds to cope with the housing crisis? That would explain the happiness!

22 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

And like a fourth below sea level? 😬

Yup. An old Dutch saying: God created the world and the Dutch created The Netherlands. :D
It's all about dykes, polders and constant water management.
That's why we have so many historic windmills in the lower parts of the country. Nowadays replaced by modern ones, but the old ones are kept because of the historic significance.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you have to share beds to cope with the housing crisis? That would explain the happiness!

I think that would depend on who you have to share a bed with?

Peeve: Being forced to sleep with someone who made me unhappy.

Anti-peeve: Sleeping with someone who made me happy.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I think that would depend on who you have to share a bed with?

Peeve: Being forced to sleep with someone who made me unhappy.

Anti-peeve: Sleeping with someone who made me happy.

I read an interesting bit recently about how it was common in history for people to sleep in the same bed as visitors, not just as kindness but as a show of faith and "to keep them close".

Peeve: Even Kings slept with their visiting "enemies" to build trust. ETA: The first link is the article I read.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240111-sleep-the-lost-ancient-practise-of-sharing-a-bed

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/8wabdf/til_that_in_the_middle_ages_it_was_an_accepted/

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I read an interesting bit recently about how it was common in history for people to sleep in the same bed as visitors, not just as kindness but as a show of faith and "to keep them close".

Peeve: Even Kings slept with their visiting "enemies" to build trust. ETA: The first link is the article I read.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240111-sleep-the-lost-ancient-practise-of-sharing-a-bed

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/8wabdf/til_that_in_the_middle_ages_it_was_an_accepted/

Holy *****. I don’t really have a lot of nostalgia for earlier times, other than the dresses across a lot of periods, but the details of the daily life of even the rich and royalty kills any residual delusions lol. I think I would rather sleep in a blanket in the straw in the stable, though I guess it is even less safe than sleeping with strangers.

Also, I am pretty easily exhausted with constant social contact, and have a really hard time sleeping. I think sleeping with someone who talked half the night and woke me to share their dreams would not allow me to get any sleep. 

Just give me even just a pallet on the floor, a pillow, and a blanket and I am pretty happy, not to mention a nice big bed with a modern mattress and no smelly people or bloodthirsty, disease-ridden insects!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Just give me even just a pallet on the floor, a pillow, and a blanket and I am pretty happy

That's how I sleep! I use a special pad on the floor.

Haven't fallen out of bed since, and my fat Huskies can sleep with me!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Also, I am pretty easily exhausted with constant social contact, and have a really hard time sleeping. I think sleeping with someone who talked half the night and woke me to share their dreams would not allow me to get any sleep. 

For some bizarre reason, sleeping with someone else (or even in the same ROOM with someone else - RIP college roommate's sanity) sends me into the stupidest, giggly fits. I guess that could technically be a peeve, since it can be somewhat obnoxious. I'm entirely ridiculous when I can't sleep.

I once kept a boyfriend awake one night with a puppet show. He went from grumbling at me "stoooop I have to get up early rahhhh lemme sleep aaaaahhhhhrrrrrrrghghghghgh" to hiding his head in his pillow to muffle his laughs so I'd quit making dumb voices from behind teddy bears. 😂

It's like having a big sleepover party with girlfriends in junior high and you all eat way too much sugar before trying to go to bed and stay up late giggling and being stupid? Like that...but...as an adult.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Fixing stuffs
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

For some bizarre reason, sleeping with someone else (or even in the same ROOM with someone else - RIP college roommate's sanity) sends me into the stupidest, giggly fits. I guess that could technically be a peeve, since it can be somewhat obnoxious. I'm entirely ridiculous when I can't sleep.

I once kept a boyfriend awake one night with a puppet show. He went from grumbling at me "stoooop I have to get up early rahhhh lemme sleep aaaaahhhhhrrrrrrrghghghghgh" to hiding his head in his pillow to muffle his laughs so I'd quit making dumb voices from behind teddy bears. 😂

It's like having a big sleepover party with girlfriends in junior high and you all eat way too much sugar before trying to go to bed and stay up late giggling and being stupid? Like that...but...as an adult.

/me makes a note to invite Ayashe to her next PJ party.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lmao. Hope you don't need any sleep! 

tumblr_o5y3cxTISn1qgf1i8o1_500.gif

The literal meaning of the term "sleepover" notwithstanding, that is not actually the point of these things, is it????

I'll bring a Switch and make popcorn. You can supply "beverages"?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The literal meaning of the term "sleepover" notwithstanding, that is not actually the point of these things, is it????

I'll bring a Switch and make popcorn. You can supply "beverages"?

On it!

giphy-downsized.gif

That actually sounds fun. We should do that in SL sometime.

Peeve: Not enough places to buy cute feetie pajamas, though.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:
23 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

someone who talked half the night and woke me to share their dreams

Oh God, I am dying now xD I have had this happen to me...

Peeve: I was having a nice dream before you woke me up to tell me about your dream.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I was having a nice dream before you woke me up to tell me about your dream.

Person who woke me to tell me about their dream’s peeve: The pleasant afterglow from my dream was ruined when you bashed me over the head with the candleholder

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
Edited for clarity
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

WTF Peeve. SL AI thread removal

Because

No Advertising: Advertising outside of designated areas is not allowed on the Second Life Forums. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, services, Second Life regions, or in-world business. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.

Community Participation Guidelines

If you want to start a new thread on the topic, please go ahead.  Just don't advertise other virtual worlds in the process.

• Thanks 2

It wasn't a promotion, just pointing out what is possible with an SL style avatar though it was by someone on another grid. Even so  my post could have been deleted and the rest of the thread which was focused on SL and AI resources for it, left in place.

• Moles
6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It wasn't a promotion, just pointing out what is possible with an SL style avatar though it was by someone on another grid. Even so  my post could have been deleted and the rest of the thread which was focused on SL and AI resources for it, left in place.

It was the post that opened the thread that got the whole thread pulled, not yours (and I can't remove the first post without removing all of the thread).

I don't propose to discuss this any further, because

Abuse of Moderation or Moderators: Moderation decisions are made to provide you with a productive environment for conversations about Second Life. We understand that sometimes those decisions may not be the popular one, but we ask that you understand the moderation decisions are always made with the best of intentions for the community. We prohibit abuse of our moderation process, including the following:

Posts that discuss or re-post material that has been removed or locked by a moderator

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Peeve: I finally have an appointment for roofers to create a hole in my roof, for a vent, for a new water heater. (The hole-making was delayed due to Tropical Storm Debbie.)  Then I can finally get a new water heater..!  It will be a little more than 3 weeks since I had hot water.

• Like 3