1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You do know that "OK" itself is only about 150 years old, and derived from a joking abbreviation for "Oll Korrect," itself a deliberate misspelling of "all correct"?

Some sources used to say it came from "Order Received", and the "R" became a "K".

• Like 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hear hear!

Can we also ban the ampersand "&" while we're at it?

It's a barbaric innovation introduced by those damned Woke Renaissance Humanists, and I'll have NONE OF IT!

The Latin "et" was good enough for my great great great great great great great great great great great grandmother, and it's good enough for me!

That far back, you'd have to go to the other side of the pond where it was good enough.. hehehe

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That far back, you'd have to go to the other side of the pond where it was good enough.. hehehe

It's an Americanism!!

ETA: Sorry, "Ok" is an Americanism. The ampersand is continental European, and actually has its roots even in some ancient writings.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

WHO?!! \o/

Yeah, sorry, see my correction above. I was talking about OK, not the ampersand.

Everyone knows the Russians invented the ampersand . . . 😉

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Why choose, let's compromise.

Can I get a "Hell Yeah Ah!"?

Why not "Hell Yeah ah, y'all!" ?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You do know that "OK" itself is only about 150 years old, and derived from a joking abbreviation for "Oll Korrect," itself a deliberate misspelling of "all correct"?

I did actually. Did you know KK is a derivative of KUWTK, more widely known as Keeping Up With The Kardashians, and can refer to either Kim, Khloe, or Kourtney Kardashian?

IMG_3884.webp

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, sorry, see my correction above. I was talking about OK, not the ampersand.

Everyone knows the Russians invented the ampersand . . . 😉

I'm just playing around.. hehehe

Although I don't think I have heard Americanism before.. That's new to me..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Did you KK is a derivative of KUWTK, more widely known as Keeping Up With The Kardashians, and can refer to either Kim, Khloe, or Kourtney Kardashian?

lol

Citation definitely needed.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't think I have heard Americanism before.. That's new to me..

Really???

Possibly because you're an American? I think it's pretty common, certainly, outside of the States.

(Waits patiently for someone to argue that I'm using "American" incorrectly, because it should apply to anyone in North or South America.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Typo
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

/me unfollows the peeve thread and screams like a banshee on the way out of the forums for the day, "MARK SITE READ" Are you sure? "YES DAMMIT!!!!! NO MORE."

KK?

OK!

SURE THING!

YOU BET!

Supposedly, even worse than "ok" to the young'uns these days, is just "k".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roxy Couturier said:

As someone that uses it, I feel it's better than adding that 3rd k.

Once in a blue moon I'll accidentally type three "k"s (yes, I am one of those heinous people who uses "kk"). Almost always, I'll catch it before I hit "submit," but VERY rarely I'll have actually said "kkk" in chat.

Which generally results in my serious descent into panic mode.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suspected that "kk" came from "kekeke". Korean onomatopoeia for laughter.  

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kekeke

Actually its origin is similar to the origin of woot. Woot is a short form of wow, loot! KK is short for k,kewl. Kekeke is similar to heheh as laughter, not an acknowledgement.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Really???

Possibly because you're an American? I think it's pretty common, certainly, outside of the States.

(Waits patiently for someone to argue that I'm using "American" incorrectly, because is should apply to anyone in North or South America.)

You still wouldn't be using it wrong.. because people in the U.S. are Americans too.. And those darn Canadians.. hehehe

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Once in a blue moon I'll accidentally type three "k"s (yes, I am one of those heinous people who uses "kk"). Almost always, I'll catch it before I hit "submit," but VERY rarely I'll have actually said "kkk" in chat.

Which generally results in my serious descent into panic mode.

IMG_3885.jpeg

• Haha 1

Just now, Cristiano Midnight said:
6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suspected that "kk" came from "kekeke". Korean onomatopoeia for laughter.  

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kekeke

Actually its origin is similar to the origin of woot. Woot is a short form of wow, loot! KK is short for k,kewl. Kekeke is similar to heheh as laughter, not an acknowledgement.

Peeve: The other possibility is "kikiki".  I heard it originated in a video game where the "hahaha" was transliterated in an "alien language" to "kikiki", but I can't find that now.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kikiki

• Like 1