25 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It's the ones with angry rants in their profiles and "protection" prims that you do it to, then send them a screenshot.

I've been known to message someone that I never intended to talk to and say "hi baby" when the first thing in their profile says they hate that.

You'll never change my mind that the people that fight the hardest against "being bothered" are going to attract it more than anyone else.

Yes, they will draw attention like that. But why bother sending them an IM? Do you really WANT to chat with someone  who has an angry rant in their profile? I certainly don't. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I've been known to message someone that I never intended to talk to and say "hi baby" when the first thing in their profile says they hate that.

Yep, I get, "Hi, hru" every now usually followed by, "Just kidding!" or "I just had to do it"   That's funny.   It's the ones you can tell haven't even read the first page and IM as soon as you arrive that I ignore.   "Hi baby" would get you a /me just looks at you. 😁 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Yes, they will draw attention like that. But why bother sending them an IM? Do you really WANT to chat with someone  who has an angry rant in their profile? I certainly don't. 

I can always mute them if they don't get the joke like @Rowan Amore does.

You know, sort of like they should do, vs giving ammunition to the next prankster to come along.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It's the ones with angry rants in their profiles and "protection" prims that you do it to, then send them a screenshot.

You'll never change my mind that the people that fight the hardest against "being bothered" are going to attract it more than anyone else.

I'm mad that I didn't think of inventing these so-called protection devices first. I could've made good coin off those easy marks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I can always mute them if they don't get the joke like @Rowan Amore does.

You know, sort of like they should do, vs giving ammunition to the next prankster to come along.

That's their thing, and it's your thing to respond. There really isn't a "should" or "shouldn't". I don't like a person's profile, I don't IM them. But your SL is different than mine, and that's fair. I'm not a prankster.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I ran across a woman who said in her profile something like "If I've removed you from my friend's list there's a reason, and that reason is you, so look at your behavior".  I was like wow, I don't think I want to approach this woman who would automatically blame ME for any conflict and not even consider that she could be at fault some of the time at least, and so avoided her.

When people set more minor boundaries, like not wanting to be addressed as "baby" I see that as a preference (likely from some past hurt or feelings of disrespect levied against them), and so don't find this off-putting, nor would I infringe upon their needs.

There is some truth in people attracting the energy they focus on intently and put out there directed to others (fighting too hard against being bothered, as you say).

So Pet Peeve: People, some of you, maybe think about toning down your profile a bit so it doesn't look like we might be entering a soap opera by messaging you.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So Pet Peeve: People, some of you, maybe think about toning down your profile a bit so it doesn't look like we might be entering a soap opera by messaging you.

Why? That tells me who to avoid. Or if people like that, who to be friends with.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bagnu said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why? That tells me who to avoid. Or if people like that, who to be friends with.

It's true, all information is good information in terms of determining who we wish to be around.

But it's kind of like they're bringing everyone else into their roleplay, or imagining others would be the same as what they've experienced, and announcing it to the world on their profile as if we're part of their play.

I find that really offensive because I'm me, myself -- a separate person who is not part of their play, not part of their soap opera.

Maybe some profiles should have a "Shakespeare Alert" warning...LOL

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's true, all information is good information in terms of determining who we wish to be around.

But it's kind of like they're bringing everyone else into their roleplay, or imagining others would be the same as what they've experienced, and announcing it to the world on their profile as if we're part of their play.

I find that really offensive because I'm myself, a separate person who is not part of your play from your play, not part of your soap opera.

Maybe some profiles should have a "Shakespeare Alert" warning...LOL

But I just avoid them if I don't like their profiles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

So do I. I'm just saying I don't like those profiles.

I don't like the ones that say "I'm 100% lesbian, guys, you can look but keep your hands away and don't even think of trying anything".  Kind of a veiled threat really, and insulting to guys reading it.

I actually dated a woman who had that on her profile, and she scared a guy where I lived (I think he was autistic and didn't know what to make of her, and had been taunted by some women in the past in a way that really freaked him out).

I had to bite my tongue so I wouldn't beg her to remove it.

Edited by Luna Bliss

I only read profiles, if I want merchant information because I klicked on an interesting object to inspect.
😁
I ain't gonna study profiles before approaching someone. Just like in RL I just start talking if I feel like it.
Altough, mainly because of the tons of self importance and drama in SL, I seldom do.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Small text improvements.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Me, too but I guess some people need to be offended and judgey?(is that even a word?).  I usually just roll my eyes and close it.  I will.sometimes do as @Paul Hexemdoes and IM them.  I saw one the other day that specifically said NOT to IM or talk to her in local.  What the heck?  So, of course...I did.  She ignored me but she kind of asked for it.

• Like 3

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Me, too but I guess some people need to be offended and judgey?(is that even a word?).  I usually just roll my eyes and close it.  I will.sometimes do as @Paul Hexemdoes and IM them.  I saw one the other day that specifically said NOT to IM or talk to her in local.  What the heck?  So, of course...I did.  She ignored me but she kind of asked for it.

I just look, and move on. I won't even waste the energy on an eyroll. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

It might work. Check all the plugs are tight in the back. Check it's not just the socket (try plugging a lamp into the same socket).

Good luck!

It tries to start up..

The fans first spin and light up and the fans on the graphics card spin as well.. then the motherboard lights kick on.. then the dvd drive buzzes for a split second like and that's where it stops. I'm  wondering if it's the dvd drive or whatever is next in linein the bootup..I could swear the dvd player had a longer starup than just a short buzz like that.

• Sad 1

Today's peeve?

Parents! Ok, not most, but, you know, those real treat ones.

We have a field trip this week, and already have enough chaperones. Today I get an irate message from a parent because I didn't accept her request. Sorry mom, but those slots were filled last week. She tells me I have to call her on my lunch break .

I have to let her chaperone the pumpkin farm trip in a couple of weeks. I tell her I have room for two more parents. She says "ok, but I have to bring my four other kids with me and maybe our puppy because he's not trained yet". Oh sorry, mom, we can't allow that. A single sibling, especially if it's an infant, probably, but four kids, all of which I'd have to pay for and two who would need pulled out of their own classes to go for the day, nope. Also, no pets, ever, he's not a service animal! "But it's not fair we weren't at this school when they were younger, they didn't get a free pumpkin or fun trip". Sorry mom, but for one they aren't free, I pay for them, and two, that's not my problem. She thought calling the principal on me would help, lmao. It did not.

She's not even allowed to attend class parties. I had no idea, since I didn't have her older two in my class. At least now  I know what I'm dealing with. I'm so glad most parents are nothing like that. I feel for her kids though. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's often the pictures in the profiles that seem strange to me.  Especially ones in the 1st life section that are supposedly their RL photo.  Mmhm, ok.  Guess they don't know image search is a thing?

I got asked the other day if my 1st life pic is really me. I said yes. The person was dead serious, apparently. I offended them when I lol'd the comment. 

(it's my fav derpy dog in the world)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's often the pictures in the profiles that seem strange to me.  Especially ones in the 1st life section that are supposedly their RL photo.  Mmhm, ok.  Guess they don't know image search is a thing?

I saw one profile that had :

"No the RL pic isn't me, but it looked odd just being empty so, I put some eye candy in there. Enjoy!"

• Haha 3