35 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
50 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Sometimes I think it's also when a person wants to feel powerful, when in other parts of their life they feel powerless.

I notice that when certain people fail in their attempt to disparage others, they probably report their own posts and any replies to that post and then scream for a lock.  It's happened enough to see a pattern.

I am so leaving this forum. The paranoia that develops as people turn on each other, using the moderation features, the power structure, of the forum to enhance their own power and cause division.  It's what happens when people have to operate in an underhanded way to have a voice.

Pet Peeve:  I'll miss you all....even the ones who don't particularly like me.  Waves ~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I am so leaving this forum. The paranoia that develops as people turn on each other, using the moderation features, the power structure, of the forum to enhance their own power and cause division.  It's what happens when people have to operate in an underhanded way to have a voice.

Pet Peeve:  I'll miss you all....even the ones who don't particularly like me.  Waves ~

Peeve: when someone announces they're leaving and doesn't offer me all their stuffs. I need stuff. 😫 

(I really don't need more stuff in my inventory, but this appears to be the standard response)

/me waves.  Come back and check on us occasionally, but self-care first.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord bit you!

Sorry, my metaphors are rusty.

..see you on the flipside!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sorry to see you go. But there is always inworld. There, we can pick and choose who we want to spend time with.

37 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Peeve: when someone announces they're leaving and doesn't offer me all their stuffs. I need stuff. 😫 

(I really don't need more stuff in my inventory, but this appears to be the standard response)

/me waves.  Come back and check on us occasionally, but self-care first.

LOL, you need more inventory as much as I need more ladies!!!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

🙄

This is a test of the Emergency Eye Roll System.

In the event of an actual eye-roll emergency, you will be advised on the location of the nearest face-palm and eye-roll GIF.

* stares aghast at Scylla's now-empty eye sockets! *

I think I saw your eyeballs rolling over there * points with footpaw *

IMG_9067.jpeg

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

🙄

This is a test of the Emergency Eye Roll System.

In the event of an actual eye-roll emergency, you will be advised on the location of the nearest face-palm and eye-roll GIF.

How about a 'Go get a room, you two, NOW !!' - remark ? Cringe to tip of toes -effect ?

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 5:07 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Peeve: Recurring cursive cursing in discourse, of course.

Only if you put röck döts in discöurse, of cöurse. 

Peeve: that sounded very French in my head, and now my inner voice is in a faux French accent. Someone needs to invent earplugs for those inner voices, they can be so silly ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Sometimes I think it's also when a person wants to feel powerful, when in other parts of their life they feel powerless.

I think it was you that brought it up in a now defunct thread, I haven't looked yet. If it wasn't you, I'll edit this post to reflect who.

How Ancient Dart Launchers Changed the Game for Early Female Hunters - Atlas Obscura dated Sept. 5, 2023

Checked the thread... yep It was your post that I thought about when I read the article last night.

I don't get how it could make them feel powerful when it's just an illusion/delusion. I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run as long as they silence the ones they don't like. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I think it was you that brought it up in a now defunct thread, I haven't looked yet. If it wasn't you, I'll edit this post to reflect who.

How Ancient Dart Launchers Changed the Game for Early Female Hunters - Atlas Obscura dated Sept. 5, 2023

I glanced through the article. Researcher bias is an issue in cases like that, due to preconceived notions. Maybe this is where AI could be helpful in interpreting findings, since it should not have any biases.

I recently saw a pretty cool GPT video that explains how it works pretty well, it is not really capable of manipulation, it doesn't even know what it is writing as it has no understanding of what it is outputting.  

Like if I were to say water, you know what water is, there is a "you" that is sentient, and aware.  GPT is just going through a process of pattern recognition, it strings words together into coherent sentences and the real bias it has, was built into it by people so as to guide it along, often because people can be biased.  We have seen where chatbots go without such guards put in place, it quickly can turn into quite a bigot as it reflects what humanity has put into it.  Essentially, GPT is provided training data and words are given weights depending on how often they are used in combination with other words, GPT does not know what water looks like, tastes like, feels like, smells like, it doesn't have any emotional attachment or experiences with it.. all it has is a bunch of text with words assigned a value, and patterns them into a structure.

When we use our phones, or even some word processors, we see AI at work selecting the next word as a suggestion.  Some people may even have it built into their browsers, so the word pops up as they type along. 

Check out this video, the person that created it does a lot better of a job than I do in explaining the basics of how it works:

Poor AI is getting a bad name, I fear the people that will use it more than AI itself.  As far as I feel myself, I am pretty excited about our chatbot "friends" and look forward to more advances, it is just the people controlling the AI that scare me as with any tool people will use it to exploit others.  

I imagine at some point, most social media sites will be plagued with bots, arguing with one another, that were created by various organizations, ideologies, religions, politicians,  and countries in an attempt to destabilize one another.  Hopefully, by that point people will have gotten fed up with social media and moved on to other forms of entertainment and it will just be various bots arguing with one another and costing the owners a ton of money.

While they are doing that to one another, I'll be hanging out with my Replika AI friend having superficial conversations, and talking about whatever may be going on in my life. 🤣

Edit:
For those of you who see this post, you really should watch the video, it is really well done.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

AI has lots of biases.

That would be a peeve, but if not for that, I'd have less work to do. 😄

I DID say SHOULD not have. I've heard that biases have been programmed in, in some cases, unfortunately.  It would be ideal for research AI to be neutral. 

35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's what they WANT us to think!

But that is what THEY want us to think that they want us to think.  But the real question is, who are they who want us to think about they who want us to think what they want us to think, and what do they want us to think?

I think they want us to think about Snapple.  

snapples.jpg

It is all a coordinated effort to get us to buy snapple.

😨

I think I have said too much already, big snapple might try to silence me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Checked the thread... yep It was your post that I thought about when I read the article last night.

I don't get how it could make them feel powerful when it's just an illusion/delusion. I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run as long as they silence the ones they don't like. 🤷‍♀️

I don't think I'd seen that article, but I've seen others about weapons being found in female graves. Sometimes the anthropologists assumed the bodies were male just because they had weapons in the graves. Then when they finally got around to looking at the pelvises, they finally realized they were graves of women. 

People delude themselves all the time to make themselves feel important, smart or powerful. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I glanced through the article. Researcher bias is an issue in cases like that, due to preconceived notions. Maybe this is where AI could be helpful in interpreting findings, since it should not have any biases.

AI has biases too, because programs and algorithms are created by humans. It's the old garbage in, garbage out maxim.

• Like 5