As much as I thought Palia seemed interesting from what little I'd seen about it, I can't say I'm too surprised. The amount of successful big game launches in recent years can be counted on one hand. Then we've had some extremely successful small launches that really ought to show the game developers where the wardrobe should stand (.. That expression may not translate brilliantly into English. Meh!), like Valheim and Dredge. 

The amount of dumpster fires, on the other hand .. Well, no one in the gaming community has had to have their virtual hands chilly.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Orwar said:

As much as I thought Palia seemed interesting from what little I'd seen about it, I can't say I'm too surprised. The amount of successful big game launches in recent years can be counted on one hand. Then we've had some extremely successful small launches that really ought to show the game developers where the wardrobe should stand (.. That expression may not translate brilliantly into English. Meh!), like Valheim and Dredge. 

The amount of dumpster fires, on the other hand .. Well, no one in the gaming community has had to have their virtual hands chilly.

I've been playing Palia since the start of open beta a few days ago. I don't know where they got the MMO thing from at all. 25 people per server, always in flux due to people zooming between the two main zones and housing plots. The NPCs are fun, quests are even worse than your typical fetch variety (hiii can you bring my kid his lunch I totally forgot to this morning teeheeee). Skills are...there. Mostly a decorating kind of game at the moment. Definitely a bit overhyped IMO. I'd say Disney Dreamlight Valley did it better, but their cash shop is even more of a hot mess. I quit that one months ago.

I just honestly want the F2P model to go away already. I'll gladly participate in Early Access and betas and buy games up front. Cash shops, though, massive peeve. I think the only one that doesn't annoy me is Guild Wars 2's, and that's mostly because you can grind for in-game gold to convert to gems. No wallet necessary if you don't mind doing that. 

Edit: Valheim and Dredge are fantastic. 

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I don't know where they got the MMO thing from at all. 25 people per server, always in flux due to people zooming between the two main zones and housing plots.

25?! That's not an MMORPG.

tpQ5XaYhDA4b2UWbYdnHA8-1200-80.jpg

This is an MMORPG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

25?! That's not an MMORPG.

tpQ5XaYhDA4b2UWbYdnHA8-1200-80.jpg

This is an MMORPG.

From the Nintendo store. More accurately, 1-25!

image.png.ea7681cfc37ec8aa3deb212615b8a8a3.png

Man, that screenshot makes me miss WoW. The old days back when my butt got fried by a dragon someone trained into Stormwind when that was a thing that happened regularly.

Peeve: Blizzard nerfed the best shenanigans.

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

/me looks for asmongold

😂😂😂

• Thanks 1

Have you ever had this happen to you? 

I was in a grocery store and saw a man walk by with his dog on leash. I look at the dog probably a bit judgementally, because dogs aren't supposed to be in a grocery store in the US. Then I think, maybe it's an emotional support dog or something, so I don't really care. 

Later, I'm standing in line at the deli counter behind that same man and his dog, and I swear that dog gives me the most judgemental look, looking me down then up. 😆 It was like he was a human in a dog's body.

Peeve: judgemental pets

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Have you ever had this happen to you? 

I was in a grocery store and saw a man walk by with his dog on leash. I look at the dog probably a bit judgementally, because dogs aren't supposed to be in a grocery store in the US. Then I think, maybe it's an emotional support dog or something, so I don't really care. 

Later, I'm standing in line at the deli counter behind that same man and his dog, and I swear that dog gives me the most judgemental look, looking me down then up. 😆 It was like he was a human in a dog's body.

Peeve: judgemental pets

Perhaps it was a human in a dog costume :D

zeppet-collie-costume-00.jpg?quality=75&

https://nypost.com/2022/05/26/man-spends-15k-on-collie-costume-to-live-as-dog/

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The quick tl;dr - They promised all along that they'd be transparent with monetization and the in-game cash shop would only contain cosmetic items (outfits, currently). No biggie, except they kind of leaned into that same ole thing all of these goofy F2P games do where they price the items higher than the closest currency tier. So,you need to spend $4.99 for the cheapest currency bundle, but the cheapest items will cost $7.99 worth. But the next tier up is $9.99. You know the dealio.

Secondly, they brought the game down for maintenance last night and when it came back up, they announced they put pets into the game - but only for people who purchase currency - as a thank you gift. It will be retroactive, of course, so if you spent already, you get your cat. Otherwise, when  you pay for the cheapest currency bundle ($4.99) you get a budget-looking cat, but once you purchase a total of 3000 coins ($30ish - which can't even be purchased with the same bundle - gotta buy a combination), you can get the other three really cute ones! 

The F2P players went rabid, because there's currently no other pets in the game. The whales went rabid, because how dare you insult my cozy times, get a job, freeloaders. There was a brandishing of swords and clown emoji reactions. Fire. Brimstone. Polygon mag wrote up a whole article on it. Reddit burst into flames. Someone nicknamed the game Paylia and I laughed myself into oblivion.

And I'm just sitting here like...man, all I want is to be able to sit in this game.

😂

Peeve: We cannot sit down in a game that actually showed the character sitting down in their trailer. What in the actual...

Peeve Part 2 - Me not expecting this knowing it's ex-Blizzard/Riot devs. 👀

They didn't really lie. The cats are a cosmetic item. Besides how else do you think the company is going to make money? Everything else is basically free to play.  If you want a cat you have to pay for it. It doesn't affect gameplay whatsoever.

I actually think that the game is a much better version of Dreamlight Valley, which TBH is way too easy with their quests and making money that I got bored within 2 weeks.  

It's only been in open beta for 6 days but I think they did an excellent job so far.

10 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh, have I got some time peeves for you.

Appetite for Destruction is 36 years old.

Purple Rain (album) is 39 years old.

Ozzy is 74.

Lucille Ball died 34 years ago.

Furbies were released 25 years ago - the same year of Massive Attack's Mezzanine and one year after Busta Rhymes released Dangerous.

The Hammer Time dance is 33 years old...

I could go on, but I won't. 😏😩

NOW I feel forking old.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

NOW I feel forking old.

Lmao, I'm sorry. The Appetite for Destruction tidbit is the one that peeved me the most when I first heard it. I saw it come up somewhere on social media recently and oof, I have fond memories of headbanging and air guitaring my way around the house to that one. 

Purple Rain hurts, too. Album aside, I binged that damn movie I don't know how many times. 🤣

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Missy Starchild said:

SL not having an official mobile client yet. Between Starlight wanting to log me out every other minute to Lumiya's outdatedness, the options are absolutely painful.

I predict LL will have an official mobile client within a year, otherwise their demos have been very, very premature!

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I predict LL will have an official mobile client within a year, otherwise their demos have been very, very premature!

Peeve: If one sees how the Lab is "in control" with the changes on the Marketplace, I can only hope it will take them a bit longer. Otherwise it will be one of those releases in the famous Linden Lab Style™ again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: If one sees how the Lab is "in control" with the changes on the Marketplace

Peeve: Wondering if the recent (last 24 hour's posts) about MP "improvements" are a much-needed "fix", or some kind of major "rollback" to the old indexing.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
missing words.

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Wondering if the recent (last 24 hour's posts) MP "improvements" are a much-needed "fix", or some kind of major "rollback" to the old indexing.

In line with the Linden Lab Style™ it will be most likely both, then they find out it worsened things, then call it a day and forget the problem exists.

Peeve: People wonder why so many SL users are so negative when LL is involved.
Loving our wonderful world is one thing, but ........................................ despite .............................
The experienced reader gets the picture.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

In line with the Linden Lab Style™ it will be most likely both, then they find out it worsened things, then call it a day and forget the problem exists.

Peeve: People wonder why so many SL users are so negative when LL is involved.
Loving our wonderful world is one thing, but ........................................ despite .............................
The experienced reader gets the picture.

Since LL was very open about the major MP search changes that led to the problems, hopefully they share with us if there was a major change/fix, or a rollback.