19 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:
19 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: It's always mentioned that Kirk kissed Uhura. I bet Luke Skywalker would have kissed her, if he wasn't so busy kissing his sister.

What's seldom pointed out is that she kissed him back.

She Uhura, or She Leia? Or both?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is why planning is important.

A retired military friend always said, "7 P's" ("P.P.P.P.P.P.P."), which means "Proper prior planning prevents pish poor performance."

Hard to plan while your approach evolves, as you learn over the years "good vs. bad vs. better vs. newer" methods for LSL scripting!

Example: Notably, this is the first "major" project I've done using the LSL JSON support.  I've decreased lines of code, increased productivity, decreased memory required, and increased functionality - all substantially.  But I've gotten questions from other old-timers, "Why would you ever want to use JSON instead of LSL Lists"?  

• Like 2

Recursion is an unavoidable side effect of creativity. 

As an example:  Asking "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" misses the point that the chicken and the egg are both anomalies that would not exist without a creative spark of life. I don't mean that in a religious or philosophical sense, but in a thermodynamic one. The Second Law is clear that the natural flow of entropy is toward randomness, not order. Yet life exists. From a thermodynamic perspective, life runs in the opposite direction, temporarily producing -- and reproducing -- order.  That's recursion, continuous self-replication that is a natural companion to the creative process -- and in local defiance of entropy.

So, you create a script. If it's any good at all, it carries the seed of uncertainty that makes you keep going back and tweaking it over and over and over again, and it spawns other scripts. It's the curse of being a creative scripter. Your mind won't let it do anything else.  

How's that for a peeving thought? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

So, you create a script. If it's any good at all, it carries the seed of uncertainty that makes you keep going back and tweaking it over and over and over again, and it spawns other scripts. It's the curse of being a creative scripter. Your mind won't let it do anything else.  

How's that for a peeving thought? 

You've given some of the best advice recently which I am learning finally. Let it stew (to paraphrase).

By "diving in" to large projects in the past and "just coding it", I've gotten myself overly committed to something that in the end, did not work the way I wanted; was too hard to maintain; had features I didn't really need; still took too long; etc. and ultimately was abandoned.

So my current workflow is to take notes about features, review the notes, sleep on it, add the notes to a script, think about it, and REFACTOR / rewrite the code as I go.

Like in the R&B song, I've learned to "take it slow".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

:::discussion about recursion:::

I don't understand this at all. I swear like a sailor at times → in SL ←, but with a little bit of concentration I can stop cursing. There certainly isn't a call to repeat the curse, ie: recursing.  Just count to ten and breathe before you utter the thing, and before you know it the expletives will stop flowing.

No need to be peeved about cursing, just be kind to yourself, and practice saying → in SL ← golly gee whiz!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Recursive poetry!

Verse 51 from Whitman's Song of Self 

The past and present wilt—I have fill'd them, emptied them.
And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.

Listener up there! what have you to confide to me?
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.)

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

I concentrate toward them that are nigh, I wait on the door-slab.

Who has done his day's work? who will soonest be through with his supper?
Who wishes to walk with me?

Will you speak before I am gone? will you prove already too late?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I don't understand this at all. I swear like a sailor at times → in SL ←, but with a little bit of concentration I can stop cursing. There certainly isn't a call to repeat the curse, ie: recursing.  Just count to ten and breathe before you utter the thing, and before you know it the expletives will stop flowing.

No need to be peeved about cursing, just be kind to yourself, and practice saying → in SL ← golly gee whiz!

Many "curses", specifically "swear words" - the milder variety, are mangled versions of words originally meaning "God". Who is..recursive.

• Like 1

Two ANTI-PEEVES :D:D:D

Remember this one?

On 7/28/2022 at 10:59 AM, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Similar-but-different peeve (my spawnage are all old enough to be buying their own clothes now thank the Goddess)

Need to replace my mixer. I know exactly what model I want/need. Everybody has had it at "new stock expected in 5 weeks" for 9 weeks....

GOT ONE!

shinyUnboxed

And this one....

On 7/9/2022 at 5:10 PM, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Peeve: RL guitar designers that make instrument shapes nearly impossible to model efficiently in blender.

*yes, I know, I'm weird. Playing a tune in SL without having a faithful copy of the actual instrument I'm playing it on in my avatar's hands just feels wrong.

On 7/9/2022 at 5:52 PM, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Bad form replying to ones own comment but...

What I'm modelling right now is a Reverend Airwave 12.

The jaguar-style body is no problem, but that teardrop soundhole is a bastard to do without the geometry looking like a plate of spaghetti

Hard part is done. Now just the easy-but-time-consuming process of optimising and LODing it.

BlenderAirwave1024

Today, life is good.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Recursive poetry!

Verse 51 from Whitman's Song of Self 

The past and present wilt—I have fill'd them, emptied them.
And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.

Listener up there! what have you to confide to me?
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.)

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

I concentrate toward them that are nigh, I wait on the door-slab.

Who has done his day's work? who will soonest be through with his supper?
Who wishes to walk with me?

Will you speak before I am gone? will you prove already too late?

I don't have myself down as having much of an appreciation for poetry, but sometimes some do stick in the brain. This one for example does (might not be perfect, but is how I remember it)

In this city, perhaps a street,

In this street, perhaps a house,

In this house, perhaps a room,

And in this room, perhaps a woman crying, 

Crying for someone who has just left the room,

Switching off the light,

Forgetting she was there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sales events in SL....the only thing that seems to differentiate them now are the signage and sims they are on. Just a remix of all the same stuff.  Same thing with sim decor. Rural boho deco is nice but dang...literally every other sim now.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 4

Just now, Modulated said:

Sales events in SL....the only thing that seems to differentiate them now are the signage and sims they are on. Just a remix of all the same stuff.  Same thing with sim decor. Rural boho deco is nice but dang...literally every other sim now.

And THIS would be why I buy my home parcels rather than renting them then take WAY-TOO-EFFIN-LONG meshing my own house/workshop/social space and doing my own darn landscaping.

I may not be as good as some out there, so maybe my builds aint exactly perfect when they are finished..  but "perfect" is the mortal enemy of "good enough", particularly when the style I want aint been built in the configuration I want by anyone else :P

If I didnt suck at rigging (I'm working on it, honest) I'd make all my own darn clothes too!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I don't have myself down as having much of an appreciation for poetry, but sometimes some do stick in the brain. This one for example does (might not be perfect, but is how I remember it)

In this city, perhaps a street,

In this street, perhaps a house,

In this house, perhaps a room,

And in this room, perhaps a woman crying, 

Crying for someone who has just left the room,

Switching off the light,

Forgetting she was there.

Alan Brownjohn.

One of the things I love about poetry is the way it can concentrate and crystalize a feeling and a moment. It's like it takes an emotional response to an often tiny, insignificant utterance or event, and pack it into a little word-bomb that can totally overwhelm you.

That's a good one. Thanks for sharing, Marigold!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Alan Brownjohn.

One of the things I love about poetry is the way it can concentrate and crystalize a feeling and a moment. It's like it takes an emotional response to an often tiny, insignificant utterance or event, and pack it into a little word-bomb that can totally overwhelm you.

Indeed - and thank you for helping me find the original.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Alan Brownjohn.

Why did I not think to Google this?! Thanks for the author's name, now I shall go and have a binge.

(How does anyone ever get bored? I hope I shall never ever find out.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I enjoyed this description of poetry -- out of all I've read today it made my day!  But I must partially disagree, even though I'm not a lit-ur-chure professor.

I would say it often takes what we only believe is an insignificant utterance or event, and causes us to realize how significant and beautiful it really is!

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I enjoyed this description of poetry -- out of all I've read today it made my day!  But I must partially disagree, even though I'm not a lit-ur-chure professor.

I would say it often takes what we only believe is an insignificant utterance or event, and causes us to realize how significant and beautiful it really is!

It can be both.

Poetry can either whisper silently to your heart or it can stand up and roar.

And sometimes, it's the same verse does both.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Why did I not think to Google this?! Thanks for the author's name, now I shall go and have a binge.

(How does anyone ever get bored? I hope I shall never ever find out.)

There's obviously a lot of poetry on the web, so you can pick and choose. But if you're looking for one good source for a lot of really wonderful verse, I highly recommend the Poetry Foundation. It has a really diverse range of verse, old and new, and often with introductions, info about the authors, and so forth. AND it's fully licensed: poets receive actual money for the publication of their work there, which is . . . unusual.

I've spent many evenings just wandering the site and exploring new poets.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Expand  

It can be both.

Poetry can either whisper silently to your heart or it can stand up and roar.

And sometimes, it's the same verse does both.

I was basically saying what we often think is insignificant or unimportant is frequently one of the most significant parts of life. Poetry is amazing in its ability to help us realize what we all too easily ignore.

• Like 2