So I was online shopping earlier getting Spawnage some new clothes and EVERY TIME I would go to checkout to pay, items would be deleted from my basket as "out of stock" when they were there when I started the payment process.  

Why can't RL online shopping be as easy as SL MP???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

So I was online shopping earlier getting Spawnage some new clothes and EVERY TIME I would go to checkout to pay, items would be deleted from my basket as "out of stock" when they were there when I started the payment process.  

Why can't RL online shopping be as easy as SL MP???

Similar-but-different peeve (my spawnage are all old enough to be buying their own clothes now thank the Goddess)

Need to replace my mixer. I know exactly what model I want/need. Everybody has had it at "new stock expected in 5 weeks" for 9 weeks....

6 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

items would be deleted from my basket as "out of stock" when they were there when I started the payment process.

They are doing this to our medications too.

We were sort of forced into using an online pharmacy because our local pharmacies kept dropping out of our medical plan's coverage. So, fine. Did that.

About a third of the time when we use this so-convenient method of getting our prescriptions, I'll submit an order, the system will accept it, and a day or two later, I'll get a robocall telling me it's "not available". Would I like to a) wait, b) have them contact my doctor and get a substitute medication, or c) cancel?

This is a national program serving millions of people, and they can't keep their own formulary in stock???

The one upside to this is that we are discovering that we can do quite well without these medications that our doctors told us were essential to our continued health and well-being.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

not COVID. I checked. LFT negative. (old fart here so they gave me LOTS of boosters)

If you are testing with rapid tests, ie antigen, just be aware that if your viral load is low the test will return a negative. If symptoms persist or new ones appear try again in 24 hours, results might be different then.

either way if you are boosted it won’t be worse than a heavy cold. I had it three weeks ago, was just a heavy nasal congestion but I tested anyway as I have to see people, quite old at times, for my work. Tested neg on day 1 and then pos on day 2 😅
Hope you get better soon 

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

If you are testing with rapid tests, ie antigen, just be aware that if your viral load is low the test will return a negative. If symptoms persist or new ones appear try again in 24 hours, results might be different then.

either way if you are boosted it won’t be worse than a heavy cold. I had it three weeks ago, was just a heavy nasal congestion but I tested anyway as I have to see people, quite old at times, for my work. Tested neg on day 1 and then pos on day 2 😅
Hope you get better soon 

Yep. know how those tests work, they are a modified "sandwich ELISA" and I've run a bunch of 'em back when I was still a molecular biologist. PCRs too, back when PCR was all shiny-new and you never found it outside research labs - and not so often there because getting the custom primers synthesised was so god-awful expensive that you really had to justify amplifying your target DNA that way to the head of department before he'd sign off on cutting loose that much cash from the research grant.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Yep. know how those tests work, they are a modified "sandwich ELISA" and I've run a bunch of 'em back when I was still a molecular biologist. PCRs too, back when PCR was all shiny-new and you never found it outside research labs - and not so often there because getting the custom primers synthesised was so god-awful expensive that you really had to justify amplifying your target DNA that way to the head of department before he'd sign off on cutting loose that much cash from the research grant.

Yes I unfortunately do know as I am developing an ELISA assay to rapid test for certain parasite antigens.

i wasn’t implying that you don’t know how they work, I was just stating how, depending on the manufacturer, the specificity may vary. PCR is definitely  also not always the holy grail they want people to believe as it can detect the remnants of the virus up to 3 months after the infection with the number of cycles they currently run it at over here.

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
Whatever
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Yes I unfortunately do know as I am developing and ELISA assay to rapid test for certain parasite antigens.

i wasn’t implying that you don’t know how they work, I was just stating how, depending on the manufacturer the specificity may vary. That’s all 

Sounds like a fun project.

And by "fun" I DO mean it in the scientific sense of tearing your hair out, hammering your head into brick walls, draining the research grant into microscopic oblivion and generally screaming at the universe... until "the result" (and, more importantly, the resulting paper) that makes it all worthwhile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Sounds like a fun project.

And by "fun" I DO mean it in the scientific sense of tearing your hair out, hammering your head into brick walls, draining the research grant into microscopic oblivion and generally screaming at the universe... until "the result" (and, more importantly, the resulting paper) that makes it all worthwhile.

Absolutely, I’ve been cursing (in private) a lot lately but will eventually get there! Stupid worms 😂

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I need specificity, Mr. Weatherwax.

You had it right the first time. I now have more instruments that I might potentially use in sets (and need different EQ for) than I have channels on my analog mixer to handle. This requires me to finally retire my old friend and replace it with a digital where I can EITHER have scenes set up that I can punch when switching instruments or have enough channels (and configurable pathways into their different FX loops and aux outputs that can STILL feed my vocal harmony stompbox) to set 'em all up at once.

It's my own fault, I finally made enough money off my music biz that I could complete my "essential quartet" of guitars - acoustic and electric, each of 6 and 12 string. Now I've got to fix the setup so I can use 'em effectively together and not have the brain-ache of repatching and re-levelling everything for every setlist. I spend enough hours rehearsing and soundchecking for my 2 or 3  online sets a week as it is. So I've been scrimping and saving until I could get an Allen&Heath Qu-16. I've had the cash stashed for like 2 months already, finding one actually in stock is proving a little harder than earning and saving the scratch.

ETA: Although, on reflection, #4 might possibly have the ability to reduce my frustration with #1.

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

You had it right the first time. I now have more instruments that I might potentially use in sets (and need different EQ for) than I have channels on my analog mixer to handle. This requires me to finally retire my old friend and replace it with a digital where I can EITHER have scenes set up that I can punch when switching instruments or have enough channels (and configurable pathways into their different FX loops and aux outputs that can STILL feed my vocal harmony stompbox) to set 'em all up at once.

It's my own fault, I finally made enough money off my music biz that I could complete my "essential quartet" of guitars - acoustic and electric, each of 6 and 12 string. Now I've got to fix the setup so I can use 'em effectively together and not have the brain-ache of repatching and re-levelling everything for every setlist. I spend enough hours rehearsing and soundchecking for my 2 or 3  online sets a week as it is. So I've been scrimping and saving until I could get an Allen&Heath Qu-16. I've had the cash stashed for like 2 months already, finding one actually in stock is proving a little harder than earning and saving the scratch.

That's humorous, I assumed you meant cooking. 

For the music equipment, do you ever check the "Reverb" site? I've gotten a few Eurorack modules on there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's humorous, I assumed you meant cooking. 

For the music equipment, do you ever check the "Reverb" site? I've gotten a few Eurorack modules on there.

I do, but the guys with A&H Qu-series aint selling - or at least, aint selling anywhere within a reasonable shipping or collection radius of me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks for the tip Love, I’ve just had a look and it looks fantastic. The only other stuff I’d waste my money on other than horse tack lol 😆 

Hopefully they don’t ship to Ireland! 💸💸💸😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

...I finally made enough money off my music biz that I could complete my "essential quartet" of guitars - acoustic and electric, each of 6 and 12 string. Now I've got to fix the setup so I can use 'em effectively together...

Either you are playing each piece four times, or you're this guy...

il_fullxfull.1012543337_5ize.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Frankly, either way, I'd rather deal with the Kitchen Aid option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

LOL - no.

Some songs just work better with one or another. Heck, there's some that it would almost be sacrilege to play on any but a specific one of the four.

So, in my SL sets I have my av switch guitars to match the one I'm actually playing for each track. That's the limit of "off-mic fiddling around" I can legitimately do without destroying the flow of the set. Means that any messing with the mixing desk to achieve that switch on the stream, beyond pressing one button, is contra-indicated. Live IRL I have a little more leeway but us little guys don't have guitar techs, roadies or dedicated sound engineers to hand us our next tracks guitar or handle anything mix-wise. We can't afford 'em if we're going to make any money off the set! So it has to be "grab guitar, call up preset, go." and if calling up the preset can be eliminated from the equation by having each instrument have its own dedicated channels so much the better.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've got the conch shell and a giant bell - two instruments / weapons the multi-armed dieties often hold.  

• Haha 2