1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And there is the "open vowel" thing which people often remark upon when they say that Canadian's say "aboot" rather than "about."

Yes, I lived near the Canadian border and noticed the open vowel thing. 

With the Northern people you cited it almost sounds like a Native American influence, as I hear some of the same stresses/intonations as some Native Americans use today.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Here I must politely disagree. It's about enjoying what you're drinking. Single malts are chosen to display the best efforts of a single distillery - in the opinion of their master distillers, who may have a different palate to yours. If the characteristics of a single distillery's output appeal to you, their single malts probably will. If they don't appeal then you'll likely enjoy a reasonable blend more .

Life's too short to drink bad booze, but there are even cheap blends that aren't "bad" to many palates. Single malts are for the whiskey drinkers who have discovered something they really like about that particular distillery and want to consistently get it when they pour a glass from a bottle with that label. Nothign more, nothing less.

It was a joke. While he may not have grown up on Skye my husband is a MacLeod. There was a John MacLeod who migrated to the US in the either late 1700s or early 1800s from Skye (I forget which). My husband's great, great, however many times removed, grandfather. I like teasing him about being a Scot, so I tease all Scots equally. 😋

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I only visited once, but my friend insisted he bring me to Oak Lawn in Dallas while there (I was staying with him where he lived in Austin - another fairly diverse/chill city and we didn't want to run the risk of ruining the pleasant experience traveling around more hostile areas lol). Oak Lawn was so much FUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN (primarily gay-owned entertainment district). Had a great time in Houston, too - mostly hit up the art museums and galleries there. Not sure about its social scene, though.

Did you know that Austin was originally named Waterloo? It's true.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Did you know that Austin was originally named Waterloo? It's true.

I did not!

Also, very unpopular opinion incoming but...I actually didn't like Austin. MAN IT WAS SO QUIET!!!!!!!! 8pm and the streets were dead. Everyone partying INSIDE??? Come on y'aaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Peeve: Expecting NYC-like hustle n bustle everywhere I go and being disappointed every time. 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I'll take that. You lot over there wouldn't have survived without a bunch of celts to do the serious drinking and fighting, after all :D

Um.... I'm not white., I'm First Nations or more commonly, American Indian. LOL

• Like 1

Peeve: Being greeted with a "Hey!"

Hey is considered a very loud, shouty and aggressive word in England, usually used to gain other people's attention in such circumstances as:

"HEY! That's my fianceé/car/property that you're messing around/stealing, stop it!"  

"Hey" has been imported from the US, which in turn got it from Norwegian migrants, where "Hei" (pronounced hey), literally means hi or hello,  but with the original E that was dropped in the US.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Yes, I lived near the Canadian border and noticed the open vowel thing. 

With the Northern people you cited it almost sounds like a Native American influence, as I hear some of the same stresses/intonations as some Native Americans use today.

Interesting theory, and by no means implausible.

When Upper Canada and New Brunswick were founded and settled by United Empire Loyalists ("Tories," to you Yankee types) in the aftermath of the American Revolution, a fair number of those who were resettled were First Nations allies of the British, who had fought for Britain: the British (to their credit) considered them "loyalists," and made efforts to accommodate them. Brantford (named after the First Nations leader, Joseph Brant) in South Western Ontario, and the nearby Six Nations Reserve are existing reminders of that.

So, a fair number of the original British-sponsored settlers of the heartland of what came to be called "Canada" were, in fact, First Nations people dispossessed during the Revolution. I'm sure they must have had some impact on the English spoken.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I did not!

Also, very unpopular opinion incoming but...I actually didn't like Austin. MAN IT WAS SO QUIET!!!!!!!! 8pm and the streets were dead. Everyone partying INSIDE??? Come on y'aaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Peeve: Expecting NYC-like hustle n bustle everywhere I go and being disappointed every time. 😂

If I had made better choices, I'd have gone to college in Austin. Then I'd have a more positive memory of Texas! I did march in one major Gay Rights parade in Austin, 1988 I think.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I did not!

You would have loved it back in the biker bucket days. It was legal to buy a 6 pack in a bucket with ice from the bar and walk up and down 6th Street with it. You had to return the plastic buckets though. That stopped in the 80s.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

What was the influence causing that, do you know?

During  early 19th century westward expansion in the U.S., schoolteachers were commonly from New England. They carried their regional accent with them and taught it as the "proper" way to talk. To a degree, that standardizing influence continued even into the 20th century but it never led to homogenization of American English. People from all over the world brought (and created) their own ways of speaking, so we have ended up with a patchwork of regional and ethnic variants that overwhelmed New England schoolmarm English.  I am not familiar enough with Canadian history and demography to know whether similar forces were at work there, but I suspect that they were more muted.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Peeve: Being greeted with "Hey!", which is considered a very loud, shouty and aggressive word in England, usually used to gain other people's attention in such circumstances as "HEY! That's my fianceé/car/property that you're messing around with, stop it!"  

"Hey" has been imported from the US, which got it from Norwegian migrants, where "Hei", which means Hi.

How's "'Oy!"?

• Haha 1

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

During  early 19th century westward expansion in the U.S., schoolteachers were commonly from New England. They carried their regional accent with them and taught it as the "proper" way to talk. To a degree, that standardizing influence continued even into the 20th century but it never led to homogenization of American English. People from all over the world brought (and created) their own ways of speaking, so we have ended up with a patchwork of regional and ethnic variants that overwhelmed New England schoolmarm English.  I am not familiar enough with Canadian history and demography to know whether similar forces were at work there, but I suspect that they were more muted.

Fun fact, some Southern US accents sounded similar to British accents (mostly older people).

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I did not!

It hasn't always been quiet. When they elected Ann Richards as governor in 1991, she put an end to all the fun. She targeted biker buckets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If I had made better choices, I'd have gone to college in Austin. Then I'd have a more positive memory of Texas! I did march in one major Gay Rights parade in Austin, 1988 I think.

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You would have loved it back in the biker bucket days. It was legal to buy a 6 pack in a bucket with ice from the bar and walk up and down 6th Street with it. You had to return the plastic buckets though. That stopped in the 80s.

Austin itself is very pretty, very nice, beautiful weather, homes looked AMAZING, it had very diverse neighborhoods, the people were super friendly - no complaints at all and highly recommend it. But yeah...I'm just used to cities being rowdy, LOL. Vegas and NYC immediately come to mind whenever I go somewhere and I really need to stop expecting busy streets at 1am. 😂 I was told it was the live music capital of the US and gosh darn it, I expected parties in the streets!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Um.... I'm not white., I'm First Nations or more commonly, American Indian. LOL

Which puts you at least a couple of steps up from the folks that brought US lot in to have a go at YOU lot :)

Nothin' personal, ye ken.. was just the best scrap to be had at the time.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Austin itself is very pretty, very nice, beautiful weather, homes looked AMAZING, it had very diverse neighborhoods, the people were super friendly - no complaints at all and highly recommend it. But yeah...I'm just used to cities being rowdy, LOL. Vegas and NYC immediately come to mind whenever I go somewhere and I really need to stop expecting busy streets at 1am. 😂 I was told it was the live music capital of the US and gosh darn it, I expected parties in the streets!

It is the live music capitol.

Austin City Limits

Austin City Limits Festival

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

"Hey" has been imported from the US, which in turn got it from Norwegian migrants, where "Hei", literally means Hi, with an extra E that was dropped in the US.

An interesting theory, except that the word "hi" is considerably older than that. It's derived from the Middle English word "hy", which even predates the word "hello" (which, by the way, is more common on our side of the pond than the British "hullo").

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Fun fact, some Southern US accents sounded similar to British accents (mostly older people).

I have read that the closest thing you can get to the sound of Shakespearean (i.e., Elizabethan Early Modern English) is in the Appalachian regions of the eastern US.

So, yeah. Time to stop laughing at Jethro!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Which puts you at least a couple of steps up from the folks that brought US lot in to have a go at YOU lot :)

Nothin' personal, ye ken.. was just the best scrap to be had at the time.

Maybe someday we will return the favor. 🤣

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's a load of hogwash. lol

About the closest you might come to a British accent would be a Savannah accent. A very distinct and easily identifiable accent.

Edit: One actor who got the Savannah accent down pat was Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Maybe someday we will return the favor. 🤣

Aye well, ye had home field advantage last time. Proved to be pretty bonny brawlers in the big international tournament a few decades past too. A wee friendly match wouldna hurt       (much)

(stopping before it gets TOO silly)

• Haha 1