1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If only we could have had an LGBTQ community forum .. it's not like we aren't massively over represented in world and in everything to do with SL. 

Who makes SL? Queer people. Everything everyone cares about or uses.

Ngl I don't like being referred to as queer. I mean its great we are reclaiming the word and all. But I am a transwoman, not queer. But that is just my hot take on it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We have the option of completely ignoring (not replying, not reacting, etc.) certain posts.  

It could work.

Yeah but in my own experience, that person will get louder and more persistent. Then you will have one person who will get really annoyed and mess up and reply to him. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Ngl I don't like being referred to as queer. I mean its great we are reclaiming the word and all. But I am a transwoman, not queer. But that is just my hot take on it. 

One of my mentors was a Transman.  (He was also an ordained pastor.)  Anyway, he literally "took back" the word "queer", used it proudly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We have the option of completely ignoring (not replying, not reacting, etc.) certain posts.  

It could work.

The problem, Love, is when someone says something that is actually hateful.

As for example "humorously" suggesting everyone here or online has a "mental health issue." That's trolling, for sure, but it's also a direct challenge and attempt to undercut the central premise of the OP, which is that we have to stop stigmatizing mental health issues, and not use them as an insult to dismiss viewpoints we don't agree with. That particular post was an almost exact example of what the OP was posting about.

And you can't just be silent. Education means challenging that sort of viewpoint.

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd like to see @Persephone Emerald try again.

Getting important and worthwhile threads shut down by trolling is becoming endemic here. I think we have to push back.

Unfortunately, she'd probably end up being the one in trouble instead of the person actually responsible for getting the thread locked.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Yeah but in my own experience, that person will get louder and more persistent. Then you will have one person who will get really annoyed and mess up and reply to him. 

Whoever the OP is in the future thread or threads, could put a warning in the OP saying something like,

Please keep it civil in here or I will bring the hammer down, Hard!

thor-chris-hemsworth.gif

ETA: Just to add, If nobody responds to them and they get worse, they pretty much gonna hang themselves at some point.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The problem, Love, is when someone says something that is actually hateful.

As for example "humorously" suggesting everyone here or online has a "mental health issue." That's trolling, for sure, but it's also a direct challenge and attempt to undercut the central premise of the OP, which is that we have to stop stigmatizing mental health issues, and not use them as an insult to dismiss viewpoints we don't agree with. That particular post was an almost exact example of what the OP was posting about.

And you can't just be silent. Education means challenging that sort of viewpoint.

Agreed - but here's a strategy I was thinking of:  We could report that person's comments instead of responding.

They only have reason to report OUR replies if we actually reply.

I'll give you an example - one reason post by a distraught individual was concerning enough to report (concern for their well-being, etc.).  Doesn't mean I did or didn't reply to their post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a note on the thread folks have been discussing. It was closed within 50 minutes of me starting it, and at the time my internet server kept going down, so I was glad I was able to post anything. I don't know why it was closed and deleted so fast. I might have missed some of the comments, they went over my head, or the moderators saw the thread was about to get very toxic and shut it down to prevent things getting worse. I'm not going to prod them about it. I said my bit and some people saw it, so that's enough. I learned a new right-wing dog-whistle too, which is a good thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Just a note on the thread folks have been discussing. It was closed within 50 minutes of me starting it, and at the time my internet server kept going down, so I was glad I was able to post anything. I don't know why it was closed and deleted so fast. I might have missed some of the comments, they went over my head, or the moderators saw the thread was about to get very toxic and shut it down to prevent things getting worse. I'm not going to prod them about it. I said my bit and some people saw it, so that's enough. I learned a new right-wing dog-whistle too, which is a good thing.

Didn't know it was deleted.