22 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
23 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Come visit me sometime when I'm wearing my "Spontaneous Moral Decay" avatar. It's four little invisible boxes, each with a particle emitter. I think the ARC is around 1000, but it'll try to hurl the blades off your computer fans if you get close to me.

You do realize that is griefing right and I would report you so fast. 

First, you must cam almost into my avatar body for the fan spinning effect to occur. If you're looking for trouble, you're likely to find it, and you can find it in a lot of particle emitters.

Second, I can't think of a reason I'd invite you to visit me.

Take your idle threats elsewhere, Sammy.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sounds like something a vampire would say!

.. Now that you mention it, I suppose that's how I get most of my meals. But the other way around. Or something. But usually it isn't a pasta dish .. Wait, did I ever date any Italians? Ponders for a moment. Oh right, yes. Two even. That I remember, anyway. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Pet Peeve:  Consumer culture is bad.  It should never have spread to SL.

Pet Peeve: Complaining about something that other people are doing and enjoying, even when what they're doing doesn't actually hurt or threaten you.

Consumer culture hurts everyone.

climate emergency.jpg

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So how do we go about having an economy without consumer culture? What do we do with the goods and services that help pay the bills of the creators?

Buying/trading goods and services is not bad -- it's only when it's taken to excess that I consider it a problem.

This whining about not getting enough free stuff, or good enough free stuff, is what got to me.

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Buying/trading goods and services is not bad -- it's only when it's taken to excess that I consider it a problem.

This whining about not getting enough free stuff, or good enough free stuff, is what got to me.

I wasn't whining about it, I said that what bothers me is when creators mark gifts with a linden value. That isn't a gift anymore, that is just a heavily discounted item. I don't like how in SL creators have found ways to redeifne the word gift, to mean making a profit. And if anyone voices that opinion, you are somehow an entitled Karen and somehow should be happy that they released it at all. I mean yeah I would be a Karen if I was complaining about a free item. But a gift that costs me money? How does SL society consider me a Karen? In that same boat. How does SL society consider that a gift? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Consumer culture hurts everyone.

climate emergency.jpg

How many forest are we destroying by consuming pixels though? I realize the servers and all out computers use electricity, but making, selling and buying virtual goods is still far easier on our planet than making, selling and buying physical ones. I consider SL shopping to be a far superior form of entertainment than shopping in RL. I guess we could all unplug our computers and read library books from our local library, which we go to on our bicycles in our thrift store clothes, sitting outside in the free, natural sunlight, but then we'd probably have to socialize with people in RL too, and that can get pretty annoying sometimes, especially when they keep interrupting you when you're trying to read your book.

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

How many forest are we destroying by consuming pixels though? I realize the servers and all out computers use electricity, but making, selling and buying virtual goods is still far easier on our planet than making, selling and buying physical ones. I consider SL shopping to be a far superior form of entertainment than shopping in RL. I guess we could all unplug our computers and read library books from our local library, which we go to on our bicycles in our thrift store clothes, sitting outside in the free, natural sunlight, but then we'd probably have to socialize with people in RL too, and that can get pretty annoying sometimes, especially when they keep interrupting you when you're trying to read your book.

I don't think you understand. What occurs in SL is simply a reflection of RL. And this pattern, this obsession with consuming as much as possible, is annoying to me.  It is destroying the world, literally.

I don't think you understand. What occurs in SL is simply a reflection of RL. And this pattern, this obsession with consuming as much as possible, is annoying to me.  It is destroying the world, literally.

And using RL as inspiration is a bad thing? So what should we do about it, ban any sort of use of RL items being created in SL? You need to offer solutions to these issues and instead of saying is bad and keep on that train. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

People who create things to sell and then b1tch about consumer culture.  

As I said...it's not that people do this...buy and sell.  The problem is when it's done to excess, or there is an obsession over it.

As I said...it's not that people do this...buy and sell.  The problem is when it's done to excess, or there is an obsession over it.

What is your solution to fix it then? You have not put any effort to try and offer any solutions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

And using RL as inspiration is a bad thing? So what should we do about it, ban any sort of use of RL items being created in SL? You need to offer solutions to these issues and instead of saying is bad and keep on that train. 

A solution?  Stop whining about free stuff and go into SL to create something   :)

• Like 1

A solution?  Stop whining about free stuff and go into SL to create something   :)

I mean some of us don't want to waste away 14 plus hours of our day working on creating stuff. But here is the thing, people can complain about subpar creations even if it is free. I mean if a creator or their little posse want to attack you, that is their perogative. But we do have a right to freedom of speech, complaints are part of it. 

• Like 2

Peeves people, peeves! My cat's breath smells like cat food. That's a peeve.  Things like genocide and the ongoing climate disaster are so far beyond that,  it does them disrespect to be merely peeved!

So anyway.... being the only naked one at a nude beach, that's my peeve of the day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Some people may not be inclined to be creative, but I am.

Last night I wanted a good moth display for my alt's bedroom, but couldn't find anything I liked on MP. I copied 2 moth display images from pictures I found online instead, then used a full-perm mesh box I'd bought years ago to make a reversible display with a different moth on each side. No moths were killed and no trees were cut down to make the wooden frame. No gasoline was used to transport the framed moths to a store nor for me to go to a store. No low-paid Amazon worker had to pack the framed moths nor drive them in a truck to my home. No packing material was tossed in my garbage to be left for thousands of years in a garbage dump.

I created something that brought me enjoyment and cost next to nothing. If I were inclined to try to sell stuff in SL I could put copies for sale on MP, but I'd rather just give away virtual gifts to a few people without charging them.

Not wanting to spend much money in SL doesn't make me virtuous, however. It's just my response to having more time to spend than money to spend. I love the SL consumer culture because it incentivizes people to be creative. This is one of the big selling points of capitalism, that profit incentivizes people to work and create stuff. And at least in SL, there's not much waste nor taking advantage of low-paid workers. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to add last paragraph
  • Like 2

Fortunately I don't know creators like this.

I have met many creators like this, basically call you ungrateful for raising your concerns for the item. And they ultimately ban you from shopping at their store and marketplace. Creators cannot take constructive criticism if their depended on it.