Should the listing date of an item be made visible on the Marketplace?

Jules Catlyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In my opinion it should be. A friend of mine got a 1 star review because an item of hers 'was not mesh' even though it said nowhere on the listing that it was mesh. Why? Because the item was made and added to the marketplace long before mesh even became a thing.

I can see why people would assume everything is mesh nowadays but a listing date might make them realise that the chance of that is very low if not impossible.

• Like 2

I just wanted to note that my best selling items and STILL the most popular are mostly things made long ago in the early days of mesh. I know other long time creators who can say the same thing, so while I understand that there is a lot of less than great old things on the Marketplace this means that people choosing that filter would be missing some of the best sellers on the Marketplace.   I am neither thumbs up or thumbs down on this.  If an item has a review or several you can tell age in part by those review dates. 

Since I almost never buy an item on the Marketplace without a demo -- and a LOT of folks here agree with that practice then the date really doesn't matter.  It can be NEW and MESH and absolutely TERRIBLE LOL.   

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I just wanted to note that my best selling items and STILL the most popular are mostly things made long ago in the early days of mesh. I know other long time creators who can say the same thing, so while I understand that there is a lot of less than great old things on the Marketplace this means that people choosing that filter would be missing some of the best sellers on the Marketplace.   I am neither thumbs up or thumbs down on this.  If an item has a review or several you can tell age in part by those review dates. 

Since I almost never buy an item on the Marketplace without a demo -- and a LOT of folks here agree with that practice then the date really doesn't matter.  It can be NEW and MESH and absolutely TERRIBLE LOL.   

:SwingingFriends:

It's totally true that old doesn't mean bad, and new isn't necessarily good.

Knowing the release date or when the item was last updated is still a nice bit of information to have as a customer.

That information could even be used as an indicator of whether a certain product will be compatible with another, especially when it comes to scripting. Products get updated, APIs will change, and old stuff may not get updated to work with the latest version of that other thing you're trying to use.

As an easy example, clothes made for old versions of Maitreya won't hide alphas because the old scripts can't communicate properly with the latest version.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

It'd be better to show when it was last updated rather than the original date. Otherwise, it's going to push merchants to start a new listing with every update, so that sales don't drop. That'd be bad for customers who want redeliveries. I have some stuff that's stayed as the same listing since before mesh, which means customers can get the mesh version as a redelivery. That'd all have to go if original date is added.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

It'd be better to show when it was last updated rather than the original date. Otherwise, it's going to push merchants to start a new listing with every update, so that sales don't drop. That'd be bad for customers who want redeliveries. I have some stuff that's stayed as the same listing since before mesh, which means customers can get the mesh version as a redelivery. That'd all have to go if original date is added.

Either date listed or date updated would work in this case. Maybe a system to view both, so you can get an estimate idea of customer support.

Edited by PekeNL
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

It'd be better to show when it was last updated rather than the original date. Otherwise, it's going to push merchants to start a new listing with every update, so that sales don't drop.

Creators are not going to delete listings and create new ones if there are already reviews attached to the listings.

And if we also had access to last update time and creators wanted to game it, they'll either change some description text back and forth or just drop a new copy of the content in the listing folder and delete the older copy without actually changing anything. Bam, updated!

No one wins.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

It'd be better to show when it was last updated rather than the original date. Otherwise, it's going to push merchants to start a new listing with every update, so that sales don't drop.

What about reviews, then? If someone gives a bad review to a product, the merchant could just make a new listing to avoid a bad rating... but we already have rules against that. The same could easily be applied to merchants who try to make the product appear more recent, plus, their listing will lose any metrics such as (good) reviews, relevance, Best Selling score, etc.

I'm not sure / don't think faking updates to change the "last updated" date would be as big of a deal. I would rather deal with a few merchants doing that than than have no dates at all.

I don't think general information should be kept hidden from customers only because merchants could lie. We can find solutions for that.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I agree that dating listed would have a whole lot of misinformed customers thinking because it is old it is not good. 

What I would really like to see instead of anything to do with listing price is 'Creator last logged in' I know this seems a privacy thing, but I would much rather keep on supporting content where the creator is around, also to provide assistance if needed vs someone that is just riding the unlimited value of SL content and just cashing out or just long gone for whatever reason.

I think that this would also help Marketplace in the long run because honestly having items listed in the thousands when the person may have long left the platform and not even cash out because their items don't sell or they just do not care about the lindens, it could make it easier on search and so on to be able to justifiably remove content when the owner is visibly absent. That should be something in the TOS. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.