Peculiar "characters" in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What are some peculiar "characters" you've seen in Second Life? By "characters" I mean other users. (Don't name the exact people of course, just describe them and what's odd about them.)

I sometimes visit Ahern, and there's quite a few wacky characters there. One is this guy that stays afloat and never seems to move or disappear - although he does chat from time to time. Another is this little penguin dude who appears from time to time and just hides behind the railing thing, seeming unnoticeable and never contributing to chat. And on this area and Social Island 10, you see some people that are always there and never leave. Interesting characters, I must say. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I get called the person with the split personality disorder,  1 of my alts acts like me the other 2,  they have their own personality,  they do and say what ever, I just drive and keep them from doing things that could cause me problems.

Are your alts as adorable as you are?

E6072387-6B0F-40B5-9B79-6ED6949DA214.jpeg

• Like 3

I think the most peculiar folks I've encountered are the ones into the kink known as "objectification".  They get a thrill out of being turned into some inanimate object...a statue, a coffee table, a public toilet...

And they'll stay that way, sometimes for months at a time. Just...being there. Not interacting with anyone, except sometimes if you IM them they will talk with you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think the most peculiar folks I've encountered are the ones into the kink known as "objectification".  They get a thrill out of being turned into some inanimate object...a statue, a coffee table, a public toilet...

And they'll stay that way, sometimes for months at a time. Just...being there. Not interacting with anyone, except sometimes if you IM them they will talk with you.

Ooooh, I should try to find one of these people and have them sit in a corner of my 35 LI skybox, wearing all the holiday/seasonal decorations that would throw me over the limit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

What are some peculiar "characters" you've seen in Second Life? By "characters" I mean other users. (Don't name the exact people of course, just describe them and what's odd about them.)

There was a little character (not sure what she was) that lived in one of my waterfalls in the store. Every day when I logged in she'd be there, and sometimes other times during the day. I guess she just needed a home and liked that waterfall.

• Like 4

Just now, Claireschen Hesten said:

For a time i used to have an alt that went around SL as a tree

lol I do that. I change my group description line to Tree By, and then my name is under that. People in the store think I'm a tree for sale  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It isn't THAT unusual in SL, but one of my fave characters is a guy who hangs out at a club and is a hamster... with a wicked sense of humor and silly dances and outfits. Often "adult topics" humor, from a hamster. :)

It isn't unusual in the forums for a cute little thread to have the Judge-y McJudgers come in and start (some obviously some less so) mocking others. Guess the memo on "live and let live" and "your world, your imagination"  got lost.

Edited by Seicher Rae
words... huh? what?
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I said in another thread, "FUNiture" vs. furniture! 

Oh lordy, where do I start? Apart from myself, a few notable characters I've met include Avariel the unicorn (regular attendee at various Relay For Life events as well as Second Life Birthdays), Ito the dancing Cylon (does RP and helps out at Sci-Fi Con & Sci-Fi Expo), DJ Puddles (fairy riding her unicorn companion, DJs and is involved in BURN2 events), and DJ Bunbun (cutest of bunnies, DJs and runs his own store selling clothing and accessories), my friend DJ Foxy (fellow Gorean Whip Radio broadcaster), plus the staff and owners of Club Neon Wyre.

• Like 1

Shortly after arriving in SL, I had a lovely chat with someone who wanted to be a Ferris wheel. I thought that must be something that could be scripted, so looked into it. I was disappointed to see that LSL doesn't allow people to "sit" on other people. It wasn't long after that I discovered I wanted that ability for myself, to allow giving piggyback rides. I ended purchasing "RendeZvous" (or something like it) and had great fun with it, carrying my partner at the time either on my shoulders, or in a fireman's carry.

I had several discussions with the couple who'd designed the thing. They mentioned that quite a few people had expressed interest in becoming ride-able objects. It's a shame that LL hasn't made this possible. I imagine there's some griefing aspect I haven't considered, but even LL's marketing imagery shows this scenario...

275663440_ScreenShot2022-04-26at7_31_35PM.thumb.jpg.434c6e162f7a19b6c2edcfaaa23f8352.jpg

"Lift and carry" is a fetish, but there's a lot of non-sexual pleasure to be had from sharing a ride on someone. Who of us hasn't had a ride on a parent's shoulder? I'd love to have a "1-2-3-Go!" animation for three people, in which the one is the middle is swung back by the outside two. Or a centrifugal animation where one spins the other 'round until their feet leave the ground.

• Like 2

I recall seeing the late Ever Dreamscape hanging around Bay City as a fire. I think she set her hoverheight full-left so her name tag would be underground. If you got close enough, she'd jump out and engulf you. I think Ever will always be the quintessential SL fire starter. Though I came by my schtick on my own, I can't hold a candle to Ever's lasting legacy in Bay City. I think, every year on Ever's SL birthday, Bay City residents set fires all around the area. It's an impressive and moving thing to see.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

quite a few people had expressed interest in becoming ride-able objects. It's a shame that LL hasn't made this possible.

Oh, but it IS possible. One might point to horse or dragon "saddles", where both the animal avatar and the rider avatar sit on an invisible "vehicle" that makes it appear the person is riding the animal avatar.

But I encountered another example even closer to a person becoming a rideable object. At one time, Sin Labs had a test track. You could sit on something that turned you into a motorcycle, and then your partner could sit on you and drive you around...very darn fast.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, but it IS possible. One might point to horse or dragon "saddles", where both the animal avatar and the rider avatar sit on an invisible "vehicle" that makes it appear the person is riding the animal avatar.

But I encountered another example even closer to a person becoming a rideable object. At one time, Sin Labs had a test track. You could sit on something that turned you into a motorcycle, and then your partner could sit on you and drive you around...very darn fast.

The RendeZvous thing I purchased was a vehicle. Though it was fun, it was a far cry from what I wanted. Virtually all SL animations are. Having one organic object ride another requires collision modeling well beyond what SL can do. RendeZvous became a complete nuisance if I did anything but walk over flat ground. It's a faint fuzzy memory, but the Ferris wheel fella was very specific about the feeling he wanted to get from being one. The vehicle approach was a non-starter for him.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Shortly after arriving in SL, I had a lovely chat with someone who wanted to be a Ferris wheel.

I've seen a video about a Florida woman who lives not far (Gibsonton, "winter home for carnivals and circuses) who married a Ferris Wheel. I think it's a Ferris Wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

the Ferris wheel fella was very specific about the feeling he wanted to get from being one. The vehicle approach was a non-starter for him.

I think this might be possible. Here is how I'd approach it.

• Build a ferris wheel. Include several sit poses in it.
  • One of the sit poses has an avatar crusher in it. It makes the sitter scrunched up small and shoves them under the ground so they can't be seen.
  • The other sit poses are on the seats of the wheel.
  • The first sitter (the one who's now invisible and underground) has a HUD, or a menu (the sorts of things you get when you are on a dance machine). It lets them start or stop the wheel's motion.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think this might be possible. Here is how I'd approach it.

• Build a ferris wheel. Include several sit poses in it.
  • One of the sit poses has an avatar crusher in it. It makes the sitter scrunched up small and shoves them under the ground so they can't be seen.
  • The other sit poses are on the seats of the wheel.
  • The first sitter (the one who's now invisible and underground) has a HUD, or a menu (the sorts of things you get when you are on a dance machine). It lets them start or stop the wheel's motion.

Puts me in mind of a "Haunted / Possessed Ferris Wheel", Stephen King style.

• Like 1

Back when I was a newb, I (or maybe it was my first av - I can't remember) used to hang out at NCI Kuula (we both did) and there was an individual, whose name I can't remember who was an amalgamation of a castle with Doc Octopus arms and wheels with a little living room/console inside.  He was very gentle and kind and liked to build things.  He helped me out with a door script when I was learning how to build with prims.  He let me come inside his avatar, a privilege he didn't offer to many.  It was very cozy with seating, bookshelves and a lamp, all built in to the walls.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've seen a video about a Florida woman who lives not far (Gibsonton, "winter home for carnivals and circuses) who married a Ferris Wheel. I think it's a Ferris Wheel. 

If you can't be, with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with   :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Ooooh, I should try to find one of these people and have them sit in a corner of my 35 LI skybox, wearing all the holiday/seasonal decorations that would throw me over the limit.

Back in 2004 I built a little 'portable' museum display that consisted of myself dressed as a neanderthal frozen in a block of 'ice' balanced on a dais with 'Pleistocene Man - Frozen 190,000 years. Please do not sit on exhibit' on a placard on the display. Why? Sheeps and giggles, you could say. Thought I still had a snapshot of it, but guess not.

And 2006 I brought this randomness into being. (no, I'm in the air, I didn't make it 70 feet long) ;) 

43933.jpg?width=1200

Edited by Psyra Extraordinaire
  • Like 3

I spent a lot of time in a dystopian RP sim at one point. While there I met someone who had at least three alts in the sim and was perfectly happy to have the alts RP with……each other.

It was none of my business so nothing negative to say about that part of it…

But when she kept trying to set me up w one of the alts; that felt a bit strange 🙂

image.gif

13 minutes ago, Amanda Crisp said:

But when she kept trying to set me up w one of the alts; that felt a bit strange 🙂

Possibly the entire point of her RP'ing with her Alts..

If you found out she was RP'ing with her Alts when noone else was around, now THAT would be unusual!

I suppose people do that so they can collect the chat logs..as we've seen people post chat logs on here also (with alts, drama, etc.).

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.