Is the General Discussion sub-forum Forum a special breed of animal? Discuss and banter!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Must EVERY picture you post of me show me being embraced by my ex?

Honestly, Maddy . . . you'd have thought that after 12 years, you might have taken at least ONE photo of me that didn't make me cringe uncomfortably. (Not that there is anything wrong with Nat, but we've moved on ya know . . .)

(looks angelic) At least you were the one hugging our ex... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Omg, now you're making the font so small that us old-folks can't read it! 

(No, I'm not really angry with you. I'm just being silly.)

Oh! Em! Gee!

fine! fine! Just FINE!

Anyone have any other requests on my f*****g post formatting???? Why, why, why am I being targeted for such abuse? :::sniffles:::

/me trudges back over and edits AGAIN. 

C'mon folks, get your formatting requests in soon, I think my ability to edit is a 24 hour window of opportunity!

ETA: The OP now also includes Comic Sans, jumping the gun on that request!

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I am absent in most of my extended family photos (many of which contain hundreds of people, peaking at over 400) for one simple reason.

I was the photographer.

Feel free to use the following photograph to "prove" you attended the first Hippiestock. You visited me at @Maryanne Solo's photobooth, where I took the shot that's been slipped into the image. That's how most of the people got into the picture, including Torley. You are reaching for Ags Falconer in the space between the left and center billboards. I clearly recall being captivated by whatever eyeballs you were wearing during that photoshoot.

HippiestockBigLabels2.thumb.jpeg.3157a63b2f43bd7f1f09eaa7e177a030.jpeg

I can't remember if I made it in time for that picture or not, I think I was being fashionably late .. hehehehe

That was a big ole party and it was so nice seeing everyone come together.

Hippy was such a nice person. There was so much glue in the community.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can't remember if I made it in time for that picture or not, I think I was being fashionably late .. hehehehe

That was a big ole party and it was so nice seeing everyone come together.

Hippy was such a nice person. There was so much glue in the community.

If you can conjure up your look from that time, I can still slip you into the picture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you can conjure up your look from that time, I can still slip you into the picture.

I might have even taken some pictures when I was there.. I can check if you know location.. I don't think I have a lot of photos labeled back then other than a few, so the location would be the onyl way I would be able to find them..

There is like 5,000 photos I put on note cards over time hehehehe

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.a098ff38c7626ad55aff0505cc86e002.pngI have that poster in my shack at the Junkyard.  I managed to get in the picture 3 times. White haired me is my original Av who actually went to the first Hippiestock.  Beside her is one of the alt army who was created around that time.  And I'm dancing up in the back even though I was not an attendee.  I remembered being tickled by Torley who added in and sat on my lap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I might have even taken some pictures when I was there.. I can check if you know location.. I don't think I have a lot of photos labeled back then other than a few, so the location would be the onyl way I would be able to find them..

There is like 5,000 photos I put on note cards over time hehehehe

It might take us some time to connect in-world, but if you don an outfit that reminds you of that time, I'd be happy to photograph you in my booth and add you to the image.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It might take us some time to connect in-world, but if you don an outfit that reminds you of that time, I'd be happy to photograph you in my booth and add you to the image.

It's ok really..More than anything I really enjoy looking at it and seeing all those people from back then..

It just wouldn't feel the same as being there for the picture..It's enjoyable enough for me just remembering that time period. :)

I do appreciate the offer though.❤️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's ok really..More than anything I really enjoy looking at it and seeing all those people from back then..

It just wouldn't feel the same as being there for the picture..It's enjoyable enough for me just remembering that time period. :)

I do appreciate the offer though.❤️

You were there as much or more than many of the others. Hippiestock was never about the actual event. It was always about the greater community, primarily in the forum. You've been an integral part of that since before I arrived here. You belong in that picture as much as any of us. Still, I understand your thinking. Even more still, the offer will remain open.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Meow. Back by popular demand! Demand, I tell you!

Well, one overtly via IM and one covertly, sideways & not so much of a demand for return as it was a snark, but still! Meow. Out of curiosity, to see if I could log in and what it looks likes.

/me looks for some nice leather boots in the community to rub against, and possibly scratch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You were there as much or more than many of the others. Hippiestock was never about the actual event. It was always about the greater community, primarily in the forum. You've been an integral part of that since before I arrived here. You belong in that picture as much as any of us. Still, I understand your thinking. Even more still, the offer will remain open.

It was definitely a much better time period than we are in right now..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It was definitely a much better time period than we are in right now..

It was a moment in time. I hate to think I'm thinking with rose-colored glasses on. There were some horrible, horrible things that went on, and some of y'all know that I know that very well. I have PTSD, and it did not fare well during some of that, what can only be called abuse. But... yeah... in some ways it was also better. Look at those photos. I can't speak to the GDF's community right now, this very minute, because I've been gone for years. But two years ago? I can't imagine anything like those photos taking place two years ago. How has this community changed in those two years? I don't know. Many people keep saying "better"... I don't know.

Time moves on. Things change. People come and go. Attitudes change. Better? I don't know. Different, for sure.

As I said in the OP, something drew me back, and Ceka, after all these years, you are still here too. Is that true for other subforums? I don't think so.

Edited by Seicher Rae
sigh.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

It was a moment in time. I hate to think I'm thinking with rose-colored glasses on. There were some horrible, horrible things that went on, and some of y'all know that I know that very well. I have PTSD, and it did not fare well during some of that, what can only be called abuse. But... yeah... in some ways it was also better. Look at those photos. I can't speak to the GDF's community right now, this very minute, because I've been gone for years. But two years ago? I can't imagine anything like those photos taking place two years ago. How has this community changed in those two years? I don't know. Many people keep saying "better"... I don't know.

Time moves on. Things change. People come and go. Attitudes change. Better? I don't know. Different, for sure.

As I said in the OP, something drew me back, and Ceka, after all these years, you are still here too. Is that true for other subforums? I don't think so.

There were a lot of things that happened before that forum version was done.. But the conflicts were more SL world related, things like the adult ratings and the things that happened around it..

No time period is all happy times.. but, before that version of the forums was over, there was as tight a bond as ever..

The main thing we really had over the other versions was, we pretty much were self moderated.. For being Self Moderated and not being a crazy house at each others throats all the time.. That speaks pretty loud for that time period..

Here now since the 29th, we are walking on eggshells and that's where my opinion is formed.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

The OP asked...

Is the General Discussion sub-forum Forum, different than the rest of the SL sponsored Forums? If so, how, in your opinion?

I would answer "yes" because the other named forum topics refer to some specific topic of discussion. The GDF is open-ended.

On July 29 Tommy Linden said in Announcements...

We hope these new guidelines will help provide a more structured forum environment where conversations about Second Life can continue to flourish, and where members old and new alike will feel comfortable and safe in participating.

Additionally the GDF carries the restriction "Anything that doesn't quite fit in the other Forums welcome here -- so long as it's specific to Second Life. "

So here is my theory... I believe the changes had nothing to do with making us feel comfortable and safe. I think it is simply another attempt to reduce expenses.

Does Linden Lab really care if a few people argue about politics or social justice or whatever? As long as they are civil in discourse, why not?

However, Linden Lab moderates these discussion and perhaps they believe there is less to moderate if they prohibit various topics.

Edited by diamond Marchant
usual typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

The OP asked...

I would answer "yes" because the other named forum topics refer to some specific topic of discussion. The GDF is open-ended.

Additional,ly the GDF carries the restriction "Anything that doesn't quite fit in the other Forums welcome here -- so long as it's specific to Second Life. "

So here is my theory... I believe the changes had nothing to do with making us feel comfortable and safe. I think it is simply another attempt to reduce expenses.

Does Linden Lab really care if a few people argue about politics or social justice or whatever? As long as they are civil in discourse, why not?

However, Linden Lab moderates these discussion and perhaps they believe there is less to moderate if they prohibit various topics.

IMHO, they will need to moderate more now as we've already seen.  Off-topic posts, slight derails that before would have gone unnoticed and left, have been removed.

I also predict MORE reports being sent by some vigilante types thus making MORE work for moderation.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

[snip]

Additionally the GDF carries the restriction "Anything that doesn't quite fit in the other Forums welcome here -- so long as it's specific to Second Life. "

I agree.

This Forum doesn't generate any direct revenue for LL. They need it so they can keep the helping of newbies and other residents to our unpaid, ever-widening butts, but they don't want to have to pay moderators to police us any more than they absolutely have to. Maybe if the mods didn't have to understand all the history and nuance of our bickering, leg-pulling and in-jokes they could even outsource the work like they did before.

The General Discussion Section used to be a platypus, but now it will be a Meeroo.

2125910765_meeroo2.png.8eda942f6507bd33f6fe97f176fef024.png

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

This is an observation, not a complaint, or anything else...

I've noticed that it is mostly oldbies responding to this thread about "how do you think the GDF is different from the other subforums?" and discussion of community, etc. There's been a lot of general nostalgia.

There's been much fewer "newer" faces commenting, and theirs have been on different angles.

I'm doubting you could get 40+ people to participate in group photos for "community" today.

The GDF has been its own kind of "undying thread" (that Ceka brought up a while ago and is still going on in the people/friends subforum). Maybe it is time to just "let this one die."

My timing has always been horrible...

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

This is an observation, not a complaint, or anything else...

I've noticed that it is mostly oldbies responding to this thread about "how do you think the GDF is different from the other subforums?" and discussion of community, etc. There's been a lot of general nostalgia.

There's been much fewer "newer" faces commenting, and theirs have been on different angles.

I'm doubting you could get 40+ people to participate in group photos for "community" today.

The GDF has been its own kind of "undying thread" (that Ceka brought up a while ago and is still going on in the people/friends subforum). Maybe it is time to just "let this one die."

My timing has always been horrible...

Honestly it's was just a different time and different world in a lot of ways.. Anyone could become a creator just from the information from the different sections and information there and the inworld tools.

I think they separated the community in a huge way when that went away. A lot of people made some of their stuff back then and it gave things to talk about..

I think there was just more communication between us and LL back then in far more areas than there is now. I think that gave us more localized things to talk about.

Just look at how much you can't see or can't comment on now compared to then. They even had a spot that you could see reprimands.. I don't believe you could see who was in trouble, but you could see why and when..Almost like reading the local paper and what happened over the weekend in town.

So much more conversations had to do with in world than out of it.

Maybe it being Resident Answers instead of GD had a lot to do with a lot of things, why it was kept more about SL that RL..  I know just from being in there and seeing everyone being so helpful and just rattling off answers and being so helpful.. That inspired me to try and be like that..

I used to be pretty helpful but over time and breaks I lost a lot of that.. I know I felt like I wanted to be right in there with them when I was in there. That just kind of got lost with each version I guess.

Honestly, I think it's a kind of irony that over time, things that they took out  that kept people talking about in world, over time has evolved to more out of world conversations entering in.. So now they had to make a rule to force more of the inworld conversations, because those are not as much part of the nature of the beast anymore.

That's kind of a rough summary of just a little bit of my opinion on it..  I doubt it's that simple really but my tea is still brewing so, might even be a mile off like usual.. I don't think too clear before tea enters  the bloodstream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

One big thing I forgot to mention also that we had then but don't now..

We had Torley! \o/   How many outfits do you have with the watermelon texture in there?

I used to think, why are there so many things with watermelon textures on them.. Then put the two together..

Torely!!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

So now they had to make a rule to force more of the inworld conversations, because those are not as much part of the nature of the beast anymore.

Except that isn't how it's going to work. The in-world communication tools, and maybe especially group chat, are really not well suited for the kinds of discussions we have here. A simple example: you can't quote in group chat. And it doesn't remain as a record people can come back to and add to: if you're not there when it happened, it might as well not happen at all.

The irony here then is that the new rules will be forcing us to use more non-LL tools, such as blogs, Twitter, and Discord. And an additional irony is that that will make even more publicly available some of the kinds of discussion we have about SL that LL would prefer people not see happening here.

Good post, Ceka. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.