The Erosion Of Civil Rights, Including Its Effects On SL And Other Online Venues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

the erosion of civil rights comes when the right to free speech is given supremacy over other rights, and in this circumstance our actions and beliefs are interpreted to be free speech

the egregious example of this is apartheid and its derivatives like the separate but equal doctrine, etc. We get into this state by going: It is my sincerely held belief that I cannot be compelled by the State to associate in the public space with people who I sincerely believe are detrimental to my own way of living (according to my own beliefs)

this doctrine when left unchecked moves from the public space into the private spaces.  Private spaces like Second Life, Facebook, etc are co-opted into the public space (there is a push on from some legislators to make this happen)

and then it moves into our own homes, our private lives become public business. And we can't be diversely gendered or interracial, neither in private or public as it imperils the free speech right (and actions) of those who would have a sincerely held belief that discrimination (an action) is free speech

which is the thing. Just because we sincerely hold to a belief, doesn't make the belief correct

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I need to emphasize this. Religion is indeed into politics. It's plain to see this in the Bible Belt states.

It’s mind blowing how dumbed down my state endeavors to be.  https://www.5newsonline.com/article/news/politics/oklahoma-bill-allows-teachers-to-be-sued-by-parents-for-contradicting-students-religious-beliefs/527-6a310cd4-950c-46ef-b4bd-f7a9295ec9f5

This is just bizarre. I don't even know what to say.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Let me try to explain. There is this notion of 'ensoulment' used by the uber-Catholic supreme court justices, to claim that life begins at fertilization.  Most don't believe in 'ensoulment'...some mystical whoosh of whatever entering a fertilized egg.  Yet we, the majority, are now being subjected to their religious beliefs.  This isn't just, this isn't fair. Most of us don't believe in this religious notion they are now dominating the majority with.

If they're going to go all Catholic on us, they'd have to disallow birth control and masturbation as well.  Can't have potential children going to waste.  Yeah, it's Catholic doctrine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chris Corvinus said:

Chris Hedges is a known anarchist and people really take him seriously. Dude is more dangerous with his words than anything.

He's a respected scholar, worked as a reporter in war zones, and went to seminary school. He has deeply held spiritual beliefs about justice and equality, so he's okay in my book.

If anarchy can get us out of late-stage capitalism where so many are taken advantage of it's fine by me. We surely need something different.

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If they're going to go all Catholic on us, they'd have to disallow birth control and masturbation as well.  Can't have potential children going to waste.  Yeah, it's Catholic doctrine.

Yep

Cracks me up that these people tout 'freedom' all the time.

Edited by Luna Bliss

32 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The only way America will understand freedom from religion in the same way Europe does, is to get a taste of the dark ages first hand.

Well no because religion in America will not be defeated but changed from one to another. It will go from Christianity to  wokism or muslim or something. Religions are never defeated because at their core, most humans need to believe in something and it is the only way to really unite people under a banner. Atheists are a minority so it won't be them.

Interesting article by John McWhorter comparing how Wokism compares to Christianity as a religion. 

Antiracism, Our Flawed New Religion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

This isn't a "both sides" issue, a partisan court is favoring a religious doctrine over the will of the people.   If you are going to both_sides this, you have to tell me how is the "other side" materially stripping people of rights in a similar magnitude.

But Ceka is right that it's both sides...or rather, the politicians of both sides against the people. The Right just removed a women's right that's been recognized for decades, while the Left just restricted Second Amendment rights.

I am not saying that either one of these was right, or wrong...just saying I support Ceka in the view that we should put muzzles and shackles on them Washington bastiches, of both camps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are equally shrill and stupid, but they are both skilled at rabble-rousing to keep themselves in power.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I'd have to study it more, but I don't think it always means absolute loss of structure. Personally I think some kind of structure is in order, at least when I envision society today.

Perhaps he means if we all had a kind of inner life, felt deeply, where all are valued and nobody should be dominated and abused we wouldn't even need a structure like police? 

It goes against our fundamental nature and all of recorded history.

We either embrace it or build structures to constrain it. But you only have to read a little coming of age teen fiction to know why neither of those are sustainable monolithic solutions. I'd recommend the Uglies series.

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are equally shrill and stupid, but they are both skilled at rabble-rousing to keep themselves in power.

That comparison only works superficially. One campaigns for health care and social funding, the other blames jewish space lasers and wants to arm children.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well no because religion in America will not be defeated but changed from one to another. It will go from Christianity to  wokism or muslim or something. Religions are never defeated because at their core, most humans need to believe in something and it is the only way to really unite people under a banner

is not so much a matter of needing to believe in something

people cling to religion because of the redemption element. That there is a deity who will forgive me, and love me, no matter what I have done

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd have to study it more, but I don't think it always means absolute loss of structure. Personally I think some kind of structure is in order, at least when I envision society today.

Perhaps he means if we all had a kind of inner life, felt deeply, where all are valued and nobody should be dominated and abused we wouldn't even need a structure like police? 

It goes against our fundamental nature and all of recorded history.

We either embrace it or build structures to constrain it. But you only have to read a little coming of age teen fiction to know why neither of those are sustainable monolithic solutions. I'd recommend the Uglies series.

The past can be a good predictor of the future, true, but I believe in the potential we have not yet accessed. Whether we can do so before the climate crisis wipes most of us out, is a different matter. 

I believe in transformation.

39 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But Ceka is right that it's both sides...or rather, the politicians of both sides against the people. The Right just removed a women's right that's been recognized for decades, while the Left just restricted Second Amendment rights.

I am not saying that either one of these was right, or wrong...just saying I support Ceka in the view that we should put muzzles and shackles on them Washington bastiches, of both camps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are equally shrill and stupid, but they are both skilled at rabble-rousing to keep themselves in power.

The 2nd amendment includes men and women, ALL Americans.  Taking away rights for specific groups seems to be more of a right wing tactic.  Be it reproductive  rights of women or voting rights for POC.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

The past can be a good predictor of the future, true, but I believe in the potential we have not yet accessed. Whether we can do so before the climate crisis wipes most of us out, is a different matter. 

I believe in transformation.

Star Trek has shown us the way, but we're more likely to build Star Wars.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

• Moles

On careful reflection, I am unlocking the thread for now.  Please do remember, though, that

•  Spirited discussion and constructive disagreement are welcome, but name-calling and airing of grievances are not appropriate in our discussion areas. We will also not tolerate any post that encourages others to violate any policy of Linden Lab

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yep. Abortion is murder. Fellatio is genocide.

We are all going to hell ... :|

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Haha 1

Just now, Solo Alpha said:

Oh, it gets even better. 

You are not allowed to dispute moderation publically. 

May I humbly submit: not just disputing, but discussing specifics of moderation is frowned upon. This is why some of us make jokes about "Banned Camp" - you can't really explain "I was banned once for X days because Z." I believe the theory is, among other reasons, that discussing certain aspects of moderation and banning may encourage others to "push the limits", "game the system", etc.

Logged in world the other day and one of the groups --- one for Midnight Mania boards they were talking politics and stuff and talking civil rights. A few were slamming mixed-race couples (which me and my man are) and one shop owner said she would ban non-white avatars.  I simply left the group and moved on.  I thought there was too many things going in the RL world and no reason to bring it in world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Logged in world the other day and one of the groups --- one for Midnight Mania boards they were talking politics and stuff and talking civil rights. A few were slamming mixed-race couples (which me and my man are) and one shop owner said she would ban non-white avatars.  I simply left the group and moved on.  I thought there was too many things going in the RL world and no reason to bring it in world.

Well that's horrifying.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.