Opinion piece: Kudos to Oberwolf and Phillip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

Say what you like about Phillips avatar, but at least he bothered to get a decent microphone.  

The only thing that has ever bothered me about the iconic Phillip avatar - is that it doesn't even slightly resemble RL Phillip!

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The only thing I didn't care for was his admission that he doesn't come inworld. Not because he is busy with other companies; he says he is thinking of SL "24/7". But he should come inworld and he might get some basics better and possibly solve them, like the welcome areas, the lack of effective advertising, etc.

It landed like the owner of a coffee chain saying he only drinks tea.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

Say what you like about Phillips avatar, but at least he bothered to get a decent microphone. The other two sound like they are talking through a blanket.

The one-handed Mexican wave thing is super distracting. lol

yeah i loved Phillips mic quality. I had quite hard time understanding the interviewer. But may its because english is my 2nd language 😄 The "blanket" part made me chuckle, thanks for the laughs😁

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It landed like the owner of a coffee chain saying he only drinks tea.

It may be that Oberwolf doesn't spend much time because he is on the shy side around new people. He struck me that way in his first (I think) taped appearance. Reserved; a little stiff, seemingly not the outgoing type to go out and start chatting with residents he doesn't know.

I may be off base, but the point is we can't reach any conclusions about why he doesn't spend much time here. I doubt he doesn't like us or the game he shelled out for and bought!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I may be off base, but the point is we can't reach any conclusions about why he doesn't spend much time here. I doubt he doesn't like us or the game he shelled out for and bought!

I don't mean to suggest he doesn't like us or Second Life, just my impression is that he's most excited about the sexy delivery trucks the coffee company came with.

From the perspective of a fintech guy, SL is a giant churning potion that's prone to chaotic movements and wild fluctuations with impossible to determine causes, every time he looks the pot is doing something different, or is a different size, or sometimes just empty and simmering. Yet everything depends on how happy the potion is.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I thought the Oberwolf-Phillip SLB19 chat would not be very interesting, but on the contrary, I found it fascinating. To understand more about how our new owners fit together and organically came to be was heartening. Phillip's integrity, love of community, vision, and gentle style counterbalanced Oberwolf's practical, timely, and sharp business acumen. I appreciated that Oberwolf explained the business model they are betting on, and in my unlearned opinion, think it makes sense. I was pleasantly surprised at their transparency.

I may be all wrong, but in my observation, I think we sadly may have lost some Lindens but gained some wonderful moles. Cut costs here, invest there: they did empower Patch to let his active imagination soar resulting in the beautiful Belli continents. I eagerly await 2048 Belli. (Hint hint: very high ceilings/glass wall open concept modern Meadowbrook-like builds would be amazing on 2048 lots!)

A couple years ago when we first were told of the sale there was widespread fear that we would be acquired and sold off in pieces. On the contrary, Linden Lab is heavily investing in SL, has cut fat, and looks for ways to give us the most bang ("value") for our buck. Of course nothing is perfect, but I have certainly noticed the difference. I appreciate that they chose to continue Ebbe's successful open interactive style with the residents.

Fingers crossed, I left thinking that we are in very good hands. 

Nevermind it was posted I will however watch it based on the post you've presented.

Edited by Aria Aurelia

40 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I don't mean to suggest he doesn't like us or Second Life, just my impression is that he's most excited about the sexy delivery trucks the coffee company came with.

From the perspective of a fintech guy, SL is a giant churning potion that's prone to chaotic movements and wild fluctuations with impossible to determine causes, every time he looks the pot is doing something different, or is a different size, or sometimes just empty and simmering. Yet everything depends on how happy the potion is.

INSIDE EVERY CYNICAL PERSON THERE IS a DISAPPOINTED IDEALIST George ...

So, good for you @Coffee Pancake!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It might be that you just need to review and accept the Tilia terms & conditions - when they got updated I got that same message but when I went through the pages in my SL web dashboard there it was. Reviewed, ticked, and it all went open to trade again.   Might not be that, but worth a look.

Thanks.  I've been through my dashboard (repeatedly) and I cant find anywhere to accept Tilia's T&C so perhaps I already did it-  or I'm just really bad at finding it.   Thanks for the suggestion though.

1 hour ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

It may be that Oberwolf doesn't spend much time because he is on the shy side around new people. He struck me that way in his first (I think) taped appearance. Reserved; a little stiff, seemingly not the outgoing type to go out and start chatting with residents he doesn't know.

This is interesting to contemplate -- how much does the head of an organization need to have hands-on experience?  It seems, usually, they get feedback from those they surround themselves with who have greater knowledge, and make decisions accordingly. I'd like to think that Oberwolf roams SL and feels a part of it, but would that actually help?  I mean you'd have to actually be a newbie and try to make a body and get dressed, go shopping and all. Or create mesh and open a MP store and try to sell things.  In other words, there are so many niches in SL....would he have time to experience all of them personally and in depth? And could his time be spent better doing the things that supervisors do?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This is interesting to contemplate -- how much does the head of an organization need to have hands-on experience?  It seems, usually, they get feedback from those they surround themselves with who have greater knowledge, and make decisions accordingly. I'd like to think that Oberwolf roams SL and feels a part of it, but would that actually help?  I mean you'd have to actually be a newbie and try to make a body and get dressed, go shopping and all. Or create mesh and open a MP store and try to sell things.  In other words, there are so many niches in SL....would he have time to experience all of them personally and in depth? And could his time be spent better doing the things that supervisors do?

Personally I think bare minimum should be to go through the new user experience. You dont have to use it every day, but at least understand how you are onboarding new users (or indeed, failing miserably to onboard new users). Its one thing to be told and another thing to experience it first hand.

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse
  • Like 4

First, here's your coke. *hands it over*

Thanks.

When you request support, are you talking only to Boxy or have you gotten thru to a Linden?

Oh no, I have filled out most of a ticket then it wanted me to explain my reasons in a box so I tried like three times to explain myself and then gave up and just closed the window.  I have not gone back yet.

But also I'm not premium on this account; I want to sell some lindens to pay for premium.  I added the payment information and thought the sell limit would update from 0 to higher than 0 if I waited 24 hours but that didn't happen.  Maybe it will fix itself if I charge one month of premium to the card...

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Anaiya Ahren said:

But also I'm not premium on this account; I want to sell some lindens to pay for premium.  I added the payment information and thought the sell limit would update from 0 to higher than 0 if I waited 24 hours but that didn't happen

If you are talking about your account name in this forum, you are a Basic member with NO Payment Info On File, so of course you cannot buy lindens from your RL dollars.  I think you are trying to sell your lindens to change them into Tilia US Dollars, but keep them in your Tilia account, so you can Buy a premium account.  Premium accounts can only be bought with dollars, from your Tilia balance, or from an external RL bank/credit card or Paypal account where you need PIOF, and you do not have PIOF.

Seems you need to file a ticket and let them explain it to you.  How hard is it to say "I can't convert my lindens to dollars so I can buy a Premium account, can you explain why?  Thank You"

Copy and paste that in a ticket :)

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

For Oberwolf specifically no, there is no need to do such a thing as he is plain and simply the head of the board, Executive Chairman of Linden Lab. The CEO of Second Life (aka Linden Lab) that reports to said head and board should do... oh wiat...

Edited by Drayke Newall

12 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

For Oberwolf specifically no, there is no need to do such a thing as he is plain and simply the head of the board, Executive Chairman of Linden Lab. The CEO of Second Life (aka Linden Lab) that reports to said head and board should do... oh wiat...

Many years ago I was a board member of an international sporting organisation.

To reduce the amount of travel needed to attend annual board meetings, I arranged for every one of those old codgers on the board to get a SL account and log in and we held a board meeting inside Second Life. We did this twice during my time on the board. It was a great experience for them all.

If we could do it, then yes, I would expect the CEO of Second Life to log in every now and then and immerse himself in his own product.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Space Zehetbauer said:

If we could do it, then yes, I would expect the CEO of Second Life to log in every now and then and immerse himself in his own product.

You missed my point. Second Life doesnt have a CEO. Tillia does Second Life/Linden Lab does not.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Collectively we are expert at assuming the worst. Lol!

I believe Oberwolf did say in that first interview that he went through as a newbie would. But rather than speculate, why not ask?

Hi did. However the newbie experience is not in any way representative of anything in SL, neither is having a member of staff work out a well tailored avatar.

Can you image the priority bump things we've been struggling with for years would get if it frustrates the boss for 5 minutes?

Let alone the perspective gained from having a truly accurate new user experience, shopping for an avatar, getting utterly bewildered by the range of options, prices and systems required to assemble something half decent. Getting a home, no not that one, a nice one .. decorating it ..

• Like 4

Moving on to the Thursday Meet the Lindens session...

I was very happy to have seen Mojo Linden in this live event. He appears confident, knowledgeable, and experienced. I love Patch but I now think only Mojo should answer any question that involves an understanding of engineering. Mojo was respectful of the audience and gave what seemed to be honest assessments of the issues they raised. I don't think he ducked anythig. He has a good attitude and I am glad he is here. Let's see what happens :)

Grumpity, of course, was a huge cheerleader for PP, which (to me) means she was either trying to put on the best face on a difficult situation OR she really thinks "all that work" (not sure what that would be) really improves things. If it's the later, I am worried. She quoted 700 PP subscribers as if that were a great success. I have no idea. I don't even know what number you divide that by to get a percentage. Any guesses on the current number of Premium users? Or the number of Basic members that pay for estates or rent?

I did appreciate Grumpity's remarks about Meta and taking them seriously because they have so much money to burn. Thing is, it is not just Meta. The second anyone begins to crack the metaverse nut, they will be well funded in typical blitzscaling fashion.

On thing comes to mind after this session. They keep saying how dedicated LL is to a fee-based business model. The competitors will not be. Would it not be prudent to investigate a way of monetizing those who currently pay ZERO. Let's talk lag for a sec. An avatar that pays ZERO contributes just as much lag as one who pays thousands of dollars. If a person just wants to go to clubs or have sex or sail around in a boat... all they need to pay for is (one time) avatar enhancement. And the boat (get a Bandit). They pay LL nothing. Yet they are being entertained just as we are. Why not monetize them? Everybody else will.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

[snip]

On thing comes to mind after this session. They keep saying how dedicated LL is to a fee-based business model. The competitors will not be. Would it not be prudent to investigate a way of monetizing those who currently pay ZERO. Let's talk lag for a sec. An avatar that pays ZERO contributes just as much lag as one who pays thousands of dollars. If a person just wants to go to clubs or have sex or sail around in a boat... all they need to pay for is (one time) avatar enhancement. And the boat (get a Bandit). They pay LL nothing. Yet they are being entertained just as we are. Why not monetize them? Everybody else will.

I think most Basic users contribute to the SL economy by buying things and renting places to call home. They also contribute to LL by paying fees when they purchase linden dollars. The people they buy from or rent from, then contribute to LL by paying for their land and Premium subscriptions, their upload fees, Marketplace "fees" on items they sell, and their cash out fees.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

I was very happy to have seen Mojo Linden in this live event. He appears confident, knowledgeable, and experienced.

Mojo has really made an impression at TPV developer meetings, he brings a lot of confidence for the technical future of SL and he's not afraid to look around SL and call out the jank.

17 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

There is a hidden value to free accounts that I don't think gets as much recognition as it should. While not directly contributing to bottom line with memberships, they do buy L$, they are our friends, they are the hooks that keep us coming back day after day and they are an enormous driver of trends and interests.

Free accounts was one the best things to happen to SL and we certainly wouldn't be here debating it today if that hadn't happened.

• Like 8

If your are talking about your account name in this forum, you are a Basic member with NO Payment Info On File

That's weird, I did just check my in-world profile and you're right - it says no payment info on file, but my mesh uploading status has updated, I just teleported into a gaming region...and now I've gone and paid for a month's premium with my semi-existent payment info.  I'm going log out and back into everything and give it an hour to see if it updates my lindex limits but if not, I guess I'll have to capitulate and put a ticket in.  I really wish there was just a button in the trading limit page you could click and have the system self check itself for consistency.  If you can charge my card, it must be on file.

Thanks for quote for ticket explanation box, I'll just cut and paste that across if I do have to do a ticket.  I really wish there was a button to request the system "check my privilege(s)" for internal consistency and reconcile itself. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.