New inventory changes -- please report :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

image.thumb.png.b911c7804b2fe0c9c49a3d310164acd0.png

In regards to his official post: https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/10806-inventory-management-and-performance/

I would appreciate any input from folks that have noticed changes in their inventory.  I want to be able to follow up on my post and since "I" have had no issues I suspect that "I" wont see any changes. But I am very interested in any input (and timeline) others can offer.   Thanks. 

• Like 3

I went and re-read the post, and the only specific "changes" to inventory it mentioned is this: 

"Starting Tuesday, June 21st, Support will implement a process to stabilize only those inventories affected.  For the small group of Residents this affects, you may see a change to the organization of your inventory, but all your objects are still there.  If you encounter any difficulty with your inventory, please reach out to our Support Team https://support.secondlife.com"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

OK. So not until June 21st. I either missed that or the post I read was updated. I will update MY post. That is a VERY LONG lead time :D.  Thanks Love. 

PS Mercury will be long out of retrograde by then so I suspect beyond the shadow also. Yesterday was NOT a good day for a lot of us LOL.  So happy to note that. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. So not until June 21st. I either missed that or the post I read was updated. I will update MY post. That is a VERY LONG lead time :D.  Thanks Love. 

PS Mercury will be long out of retrograde by then so I suspect beyond the shadow also. Yesterday was NOT a good day for a lot of us LOL.  So happy to note that. 

I got the impression in general, that the number of inventory "issues" are increasing / LL anticipates an increase.  So this is all to either fix an existing issue or head off a bigger issue, or both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Lindens

Hi all! 

So, yes, the process will not actually run until June 21.  We wanted to give those Residents affected time to organize/reorganize their inventories before we ran our process.  Support is also reaching out directly to Residents affected so we can offer some assistance before that date.  If you don't hear from us, then you are not affected at this time.  That said, now would be a great time for everyone (myself included) to organize all those shoes, hairs, accessories and everything else you've picked up in world or on the Marketplace into groupings that make sense for you. I know it's a tedious process (believe me, I know it will take me a significant amount of time to organize mine), but it will be so worth it in terms of better performance, ease of finding the object you are looking for and finding objects you forgot you bought that one late night.   😁

/me runs off to watch Alexa Linden's SL University talk on Inventory Tips:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I hope Im one of those that they help. Im so tech ignorant, and I always having issues with my inventory loading and with me logging in. I would pay alot if someone made a super easy inventory organizer of some sort and sold it on marketplace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, munchkeysmom said:

I would pay alot if someone made a super easy inventory organizer of some sort and sold it on marketplace.

I think the closest thing is CTS wardrobe, but from my limited experience with it, it's not easy to use at all. (tried it for 10 minutes couldn't get it to work, moved on to something else)

I'm so glad I am so close with all my inventories being close to organized.. I might have a chance of making that deadline since I started at the beginning of the year... hehehehe

Now if I could just stop buying things for a bit, and forgetting about those things..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Whatever you do LL, stay away from my inventory please.
I can find stuff almost blindfolded in there.
Please don't attempt to fix what isn't broken.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

I'm with Sid.  I only have 5,343 Objects and 43 folders in my Objects folder.  Logging in gives me time to nuke a new cup of coffee in the microwave, and casually walk back to my office.  My first level Inventory folders are only a mess now because of all those SL sponsored shopping events, where I must collect all the freebies.

• Haha 1

If people are interested in CTS Wardrobe and have questions about what it is or how it works I am happy to chat with you about it. If you have CTS Wardrobe and are struggling to get it to work have questions about how to use it etc I might be able to put together a class if there is some interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buttacwup Float said:

If people are interested in CTS Wardrobe and have questions about what it is or how it works I am happy to chat with you about it. If you have CTS Wardrobe and are struggling to get it to work have questions about how to use it etc I might be able to put together a class if there is some interest.

Your youtube videos were vital for me figuring CTS Wardrobe out. And now it's an inventory sorting tool I can't live without. So thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here it is almost mid June (but not the 21st) and I have something odd to report. Both my Maitreya body (which I am wearing) and my Lelutka teeth (also wearing) have moved to my Objects folder. They were NOT there last Sunday when I cleaned my inventory. I am moving them BACK under Body (well Duh!).

I also carefully opened each folder in my trash as usual to make sure no other folders had moved inside. That was fine. Then I deleted in my weekly purge. 

So just a reminder that things may be amiss -- even before the official date.   This was likely because of a crash?  Not sure but good to keep vigilant; the inventory fairy is not always freindly. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling and adding info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 6:40 PM, Sid Nagy said:

Whatever you do LL, stay away from my inventory please.
I can find stuff almost blindfolded in there.
Please don't attempt to fix what isn't broken.

Do you have a special "Blindfolds" folder? That sounds all kinds of useful!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Here it is almost mid June (but not the 21st) and I have something odd to report. Both my Maitreya body (which I am wearing) and my Lelutka teeth (also wearing) have moved to my Objects folder. They were NOT there last Sunday when I cleaned my inventory. I am moving them BACK under Body (well Duh!).

I also carefully opened each folder in my trash as usual to make sure no other folders had moved inside. That was fine. Then I deleted in my weekly purge. 

So just a reminder that things may be amiss -- even before the official date.   This was likely because of a crash?  Not sure but good to keep vigilant; the inventory fairy is not always freindly. 

That movement, particularly with body parts, happens occasionally, if I crash trying a TP.

It is that thing where a TP fails and then a crash happens. When I relog, I am back to where I originally was, when I logged in previously and not where I was when I had the TP crash.

I notice too that my alpha layers are back to what I was previously wearing and not what I am currently wearing, so I have to sort that and check if anything has been refiled in my inventory.

It is as if I was never properly logged in world, in the previous session, if that makes sense.

I will add that the movement of body parts does not always happen, but I am now used to checking that.

When you create a new outfit or modify an existing one, save the outfit and then change to something else before changing back to the new outfit.  This will ensure everything is saved in the event of logout.  The reason why your outfit isn't saved is because there is an intermittent but silent crash bug on logout which happens before it can save your changes.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Anthony Marques said:

That movement, particularly with body parts, happens occasionally, if I crash trying a TP.

It is that thing where a TP fails and then a crash happens. When I relog, I am back to where I originally was, when I logged in previously and not where I was when I had the TP crash.

I notice too that my alpha layers are back to what I was previously wearing and not what I am currently wearing, so I have to sort that and check if anything has been refiled in my inventory.

It is as if I was never properly logged in world, in the previous session, if that makes sense.

I will add that the movement of body parts does not always happen, but I am now used to checking that.

Well my only crash was a graphics card issue on taking photos which has been happening a lot lately (high end 3070 card) but may be a FS issue. 

By NOW though you would think (19 years) we wouldn't have these issues on crashing.  It also resets my graphics settings back to low and takes off shadows and I need to remember to fix all that. So sort of a pain.  But yes, my strange movement of items was like a crash thing. Realized that after a bit. Still never happy with database gets worked on. Too many "war" stories I don't want to relive. 

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well my only crash was a graphics card issue on taking photos which has been happening a lot lately (high end 3070 card) but may be a FS issue. 

By NOW though you would think (19 years) we wouldn't have these issues on crashing.  It also resets my graphics settings back to low and takes off shadows and I need to remember to fix all that. So sort of a pain.  But yes, my strange movement of items was like a crash thing. Realized that after a bit. Still never happy with database gets worked on. Too many "war" stories I don't want to relive. 

I'm using Firestorm with a high end graphics card as well but I don't get any problems such as these so there may be something going on with your setup.  I take high-res (7680x4228) pictures often without crashing and I have never had Firestorm reset my graphics settings.  I've had settings get stuffed up on upgrades between versions but that's it.

I've been logged out during teleports just like everyone else.
I've also experienced the occasional fail to save crash bug on exit, even during exits initiated by myself.
I've seen this one happen on the LL viewer as well in the past.

Firestorm has been so stable for a long time now for me that I cannot remember the last time I had a crash where the viewer just died.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm using Firestorm with a high end graphics card as well but I don't get any problems such as these so there may be something going on with your setup.  I take high-res (7680x4228) pictures often without crashing and I have never had Firestorm reset my graphics settings.  I've had settings get stuffed up on upgrades between versions but that's it.

I've been logged out during teleports just like everyone else.
I've also experienced the occasional fail to save crash bug on exit, even during exits initiated by myself.
I've seen this one happen on the LL viewer as well in the past.

Firestorm has been so stable for a long time now for me that I cannot remember the last time I had a crash where the viewer just died.

I have never had these black screen graphics card crashes -- or at least for MANY years until this latest FS -- which did fix some other issues for me.  It isn't a driver problem but could certainly be a conflict with other software. I can't even remember the last time I crashed during teleport so this is definitely a graphics card during photo taking thing for me. 

I have seen many reports of that in the past from others.  Issues come and they go and then Windows updates again :D.  It is a bit of a pain though since I blog and take a lot of photos. It isn't a "busy region" issue either as it can happen when I take photos with no DOF (shadows always on) on my building pad and it doesn't get much more "game asset meshy" than that LOL.   

At least I am still WEARING my body and teeth and not in orange cloud mode :D.  

• Thanks 1

The issue of being disconnected when SL cannot resolve the start and end location of a requested TP is something we all suffer now and then, though in recent months it seems far more common than it was for years.

At these disconnects SL loses all record of the account's configuration and reverts to the state at the last "good" shutdown, including any scripted functions.  Strangely (to me) any worn mesh changes are retained but any worn layers, be they alpha or applied (I suppose these are scripted), are not retained. In  these times of BoM that can be a real pain in the shoes... I mean ***e.

I have never experienced (touch wood) any of the more extreme inventory or photographic effects mentioned above.

Edited by Aishagain
fighting my so-called smartphone's attempted sabotage
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping this (thank goodness I linked to an official comment in my blog or I would have never found the thread :D) as I had my first major "What the ..." inventory experience.  It apparently happened this week as things were fine last Sunday.  My "Accessories" folder with 327 ish items got moved under Calling Cards (which is quite a distance in the list - so not one folder down). The file was FS protected and "I" cannot move it (I just tested that again).   

Things are back to the way they should be now as I moved things over into another folder.  But for sure, keep an eye on things still.   And be careful when emptying your trash. I remember many horror stories a few years back on that and I now open each folder to make sure there isn't an important folder inside == BEFORE I empty that trash.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.