Looking for SL players to interview for my thesis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all! I am seeking volunteer participants to interview as part of my master’s dissertation. I am investigating the relationship between playing social virtual world (SVW) games (including Second Life) and mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

SVW games, as a unique genre, has been largely overlooked in academic research related to mental wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, they are valid and popular social spaces in warrant in recognition and investigation. For this reason, I have been driven to conduct this research. Taking part in this study would be a value contribution to this academic discourse.

Interviews will likely be conducted during the month of May and last approximately an hour. They will be conducted virtually over Teams/ Zoom/ whichever video conferencing platform suits you. I am flexible with timing, so can fit around your schedule!

The participants I am seeking will be between the ages of 18-32 (this research is focusing on young adults).

Please reply to my comment here if you want to know more, I can message you with my university email address :) All prospective participants will be provided with an information sheet regarding the project and consent form, and I am happy to answer any and all questions too.

Thanks!

Sylvie

Edited by Siilviie
typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

To be fair I think this new method is because of a comment I made on an earlier thread.  That being said, it boggles my mind in general that so many folks try and make Second Life part of their thesis when they obviously haven't spent enough time here to know what it is about.   

Heading to streaming TV.   

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

it boggles my mind in general that so many folks try and make Second Life part of their thesis when they obviously haven't spent enough time here to know what it is about.   

So much this.

They have no idea and hope a game of 20 questions can unpick this to create something that meet's their course work needs. Only this time they have you on video too, privacy be dammed.

At absolute best, we get yet another piece of completely irrelevant academic guff making claims about the platform and the people who use it.

They made an account to spam here. That alone should be all anyone needs to inform any decision about participation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2022 at 8:48 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

They have no idea

Sadly, yes.

To the original poster: Fantasy Faire is on in Second Life, through May 8th. Log into Second Life. Select World->Destinations->Events->Fantasy Faire. Go there. Walk through it. It's one of Second Life's biggest annual events, the work of hundreds of people. Take screenshots (CTRL backquote). Along the way, you'll find groups of people chatting at bars, clubs, and hangout points. Talk to them. Ask them some of your questions informally. You'll find out more that way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would be more interested if the actual interviews happened in SL for better athmosphere and authenticity. We could make an SL selfie too if needed for the thesis. There is a voice talking function and you don't have to be on Teams or some other platform to make surveys about a platform where people mostly talk to each other. I find this rather unnecessary. Sorry. 

I'm not sure how valid any hypothesis about the relationship between mental health and participating in social worlds like SL would be given the atomically small group of participants you're surveying (18–32, voice-willing, etc). I certainly think the desire to conduct it out of world using video/voice will immediately tilt findings in favour of extroverted folks who are okay connecting their SL life and RL lives.

Some decent number of us are here to explore/play at/try on/learn about aspects of ourselves that we do not want or can not show in RL, so any RL interview is a no from me and others who are not okay with being "outted" as whatever we are living in SL.

I also suspect that many introverts, who may not volunteer, may be coping better with COVID and isolation than other folks. Working from home without the incessant distractions of open offices, for example? Fine by me, I wish I'd done this 15 years ago.

• Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, Siilviie said:

Hi all! I am seeking volunteer participants to interview as part of my master’s dissertation. I am investigating the relationship between playing social virtual world (SVW) games (including Second Life) and mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

SVW games, as a unique genre, has been largely overlooked in academic research related to mental wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, they are valid and popular social spaces in warrant in recognition and investigation. For this reason, I have been driven to conduct this research. Taking part in this study would be a value contribution to this academic discourse.

Interviews will likely be conducted during the month of May and last approximately an hour. They will be conducted virtually over Teams/ Zoom/ whichever video conferencing platform suits you. I am flexible with timing, so can fit around your schedule!

The participants I am seeking will be between the ages of 18-32 (this research is focusing on young adults).

Please reply to my comment here if you want to know more, I can message you with my university email address :) All prospective participants will be provided with an information sheet regarding the project and consent form, and I am happy to answer any and all questions too.

Thanks!

Sylvie

you dont ned to interview ppl , go in world and you will discover  (positive and negatife things) since most ppl will lie in interview.

So, somehow, 33 and up are "older adults", hmm?

This is 125% suspicious. Even if I didn't just barely slip outside of the "accepted" 18-32 range (being 33, just so we're clear), I'd pass. But, do you. Best of luck.

Edited by LunaRavencroft

Sounds legit. Too bad we get spammed with these so often, and the requested SL demographic is so laughably wrong, and the request is essentially "must voice verify", etc. Next, I expect these requests will get more and more specific, for example: only want mesh avatar users who live in the US, are part of the RL "workforce", within a certain income bracket, are heteronormative, not disabled, single with no kids, not cat owners, rent not own housing, lease a vehicle less than 3 years old, within the lower 48 states in the Eastern time zone.

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2023 at 9:31 PM, Khadijah Starchild said:

it's not a game because there's no way to win and there's no strategy to win. :)

This... RPG without the trophies and experience points.

Choose your own adventure, live chat included.

IDK, what else...? :D

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.