Elon Musk buys Twitter to bring back Free Speech

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You speak for all cis people?

*Edit* Your question is both irrelevant and rhetorical.

Eh not really. Between you, Cookie and the page I linked, it is obvious that there is no consistency as to what and how many pronouns there are. Small wonder some get a little exasperated with it even if they support Trans people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only thing I'm going to say re: pronouns - how many people that you personally know use something outside of she, he, or they?

I had a guild leader years ago who used zie (or sie...I'm a terrible guildie and it's been years, so I forget now - bad me). That's it. One person in my entire life - one person in an entire LGBTQ+ guild of hundreds. Did it take some getting used to? Yup (and we all got it wrong - on voice, too...oof). Did it suck? Nope. Did any of us tweet that it sucked? Newp.

It's a such a non-issue, I have no idea why he felt the need to complain about it (and apparently neither did Grimes).

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Grammaring
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The only thing I'm going to say re: pronouns - how many people do you personally know who uses something outside of she, he, or they?

Zero. And I know a lot of Trans people and a few non-binary people. I've seen "ze" in online profiles. That's it. Thank you!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought "Karen's" called the cops because black people exist.

That's just one option of Karen. Like all sedans are automobiles, but not all automobiles are sedans.

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, I have rather mixed feelings about Warren, politically . . . but really, this is a bit of a cliche, no? Strong, articulate, and forceful women have often been labeled as "strident" or "shrill" . . . or as "Karens."

It's plenty possible to be strong, articulate, and forceful without being a Karen. It's all about your topic.

Articulate and forceful to make sure you get equal treatment? I'm down. Articulate and forceful because you don't like my motorcycle? Shut up, Karen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm not the arbiter of the word transphobic, but if Elon had simply said "pronouns suck"  which was in 2020 and he has not since said anything derogatory toward trans people I would have a hard time calling him transphobic.  When I think of transphobic people, I think of people that go out of their way to be as hateful and hurtful toward trans people as they can get away with.  

I do think, the platform of twitter could potentially allow more hateful and hurtful people on their platform, but see it as unlikely due to EU regulations, as well as the potential to lose advertising revenue.  

I do think the histrionics of people complaining about pronouns is childish, I can count the number of people I have spoken with in real life, that asked for a pronoun on one hand, more specifically one person.  They were not rude about it, they did not act like they were trying to control my speech and were understanding if I slipped up.  I think I have a more difficult time remembering people's names than I do their pronouns.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Articulate and forceful to make sure you get equal treatment? I'm down. Articulate and forceful because you don't like my motorcycle? Shut up, Karen.

That makes sense if you can call a guy that too if he butts into your business and whines. So for guys too?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Small wonder some get a little exasperated with it even if they support Trans people.

You're whining about stuff that seldom exists.  I think you just want to whine and argue. So can I call you a Karen?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Who knows what it is going to look like Theresa. I don't, I suspect you don't and I doubt the other poster does either.

Hey I heard that before with the man who shall not be named but has been known to tint orange.  Let's just give him a chance and see how it goes, they said.  My grandmother had wise words of advice to me, that when people show you who they are believe them!  So I already know what it's going to look like.

Edited by Moondira
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I'm not the arbiter of the word transphobic, but if Elon had simply said "pronouns suck"  which was in 2020 and he has not since said anything derogatory toward trans people I would have a hard time calling him transphobic.

Just wanted to point out that it's not the only incident. It's just the only one that was linked here (honestly I don't feel a need to link any others - I'm not wanting to drag the thread even further off-topic, but there were other tweets made since then and articles floating around).

Just now, Robberinthemuseum said:

How did this thread turn into a other trans discussion 😅? ENOUGH!!!

Hell if I know. I find Dr. Musk tweets a lot more concerning than his silly Kanye-esque ones.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Just wanted to point out that it's not the only incident. It's just the only one that was linked here (honestly I don't feel a need to link any others - I'm not wanting to drag the thread even further off-topic, but there were other tweets made since then and articles floating around).

You'd have to link an overwhelming number of them, and a quote from Musk himself saying, "Yes, I am transphobic" for it to be "proof".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You'd have to link an overwhelming number of them, and a quote from Musk himself saying, "Yes, I am transphobic" for it to be "proof".

I could probably find a good 5 or 6 incidents if I cared enough to look. I honestly don't, though. There's only so much mean girl behavior I can take from a grown man.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Equal treatment is literally what Warren's tweet was about.

No, or not exactly.

Our tax code is progressive. This means that people with high incomes are taxed at a higher rate than those with lower incomes. The theory is that a higher earner is more able to pay this greater amount. While that may be true, this is hardly "equal treatment".

Now, the above only considers income. Very wealthy people like Musk grow wealthier because of capital gains. The assets they own - stocks, fine art, real estate, their corporations - increase in value. This increase is not taxed until it is realized. That is, until the asset is sold. The proceeds then become income and are taxable. The wealthy get around their money being locked up in assets by borrowing against those capital assets. These loans may be quite small, relatively speaking, and are easily repaid by a number of strategies, such as treating debt service as an expense. All these maneuvers are designed to minimize income, and thus tax. Again, hardly fair, but that's how Congress has set things up.

Now there are various "tax the rich" proposals. These range from increasing the tax rate on the wealthy even more (more inequality!) to a new tax on unrealized capital gains. (Your stocks go up 20% this year, and you get taxed on that, even though you didn't see a penny of it or have use of the money. And I have not seen any proposals about giving back those taxes if your stock goes back down the next year.) This tax would presumably apply only to the "very wealthy". Again, UNequal treatment. And there is no guarantee that Congress will not redefine "very wealthy" to include more and more people, either.

I am a proponent of a flat rate tax. Everybody pays 10, 15, 20 per cent of income. Whatever is needed to make the tax revenue neutral (the new system collects the same amount as the old system). No deductions, no credits, no nothing. We would, overnight, get rid of a huge parasitic industry of IRS agents, accountants, tax preparers, and lawyers, none of whom make any actual productive contribution to the economy. And it really WOULD be "fair and equal treatment."

But I don't think that this is what Senator Warren means at all.

ps - Some will argue that flat taxes are bad. But we already have several taxes of this sort. Gas taxes and sales tax, for example, fall in equal portions (percentage-wise) on all.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moondira said:

That makes sense if you can call a guy that too if he butts into your business and whines. So for guys too?

3 hours ago, Moondira said:

So can a man be a "Karen" ?

No, he's just a butthole.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Equal treatment is literally what Warren's tweet was about.

Okay, Karen.

Troll-Face-with-Glasses-coloring-page.jp

Edited by Paul Hexem

45 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, or not exactly.

Our tax code is progressive. This means that people with high incomes are taxed at a higher rate than those with lower incomes. The theory is that a higher earner is more able to pay this greater amount. While that may be true, this is hardly "equal treatment".

Now, the above only considers income. Very wealthy people like Musk grow wealthier because of capital gains. The assets they own - stocks, fine art, real estate, their corporations - increase in value. This increase is not taxed until it is realized. That is, until the asset is sold. The proceeds then become income and are taxable. The wealthy get around their money being locked up in assets by borrowing against those capital assets. These loans may be quite small, relatively speaking, and are easily repaid by a number of strategies, such as treating debt service as an expense. All these maneuvers are designed to minimize income, and thus tax. Again, hardly fair, but that's how Congress has set things up.

Now there are various "tax the rich" proposals. These range from increasing the tax rate on the wealthy even more (more inequality!) to a new tax on unrealized capital gains. (Your stocks go up 20% this year, and you get taxed on that, even though you didn't see a penny of it or have use of the money. And I have not seen any proposals about giving back those taxes if your stock goes back down the next year.) This tax would presumably apply only to the "very wealthy". Again, UNequal treatment. And there is no guarantee that Congress will not redefine "very wealthy" to include more and more people, either.

I am a proponent of a flat rate tax. Everybody pays 10, 15, 20 per cent of income. Whatever is needed to make the tax revenue neutral (the new system collects the same amount as the old system). No deductions, no credits, no nothing. We would, overnight, get rid of a huge parasitic industry of IRS agents, accountants, tax preparers, and lawyers, none of whom make any actual productive contribution to the economy. And it really WOULD be "fair and equal treatment."

But I don't think that this is what Senator Warren means at all.

ps - Some will argue that flat taxes are bad. But we already have several taxes of this sort. Gas taxes and sales tax, for example, fall in equal portions (percentage-wise) on all.

And would Social Security payments be taxed as well? Because if so, you just put me on the streets. That is not an exaggeration. The main reason I don't live alone is because I can't afford to on a fixed income. Tax it and I can no longer pay my rent.

One size does NOT fit all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.