Requesting an LGBTQ+ sub forum.

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Linden Lab is free to restrict how they please and always have been.

Apparantly not restrictive enough for this group claiming to represent all of LGBTQ+ in SL with a dire request for a seperately seggregated policed safehaven in General Discussion.

ETA : Tell me how you'd feel treated by LL if they'd supply a seperate subforum for people who do no longer tolerate your smiles on every post ? 

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I gotta get off this planet.

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

Take me with you!

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Are you human?

5 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

I'd like to think I qualify as such despite some claiming otherwise. 

Would you call these off topic posts? Seems like they have nothing to do with the thread topic at all.

6 minutes ago, Solo Alpha said:

a dire request for a seperately seggregated policed safehaven in General Discussion

I'm quite appalled how a request for a community forum can be met with such an amount on synthetic drama and vitriol. Having an area for an LGBTQ+ community that absolutely exists in SL does not take anyones perceived freedoms away in any imaginable way. And recognizing a certain group as a minority group that has to face repressions in many many countries and places on this world does not take any of your rights away. What it does not do and what some people seem to dislike is that recognizing a minority won't grant a "repressed majority" status to the rest of humanity.

And while I quote Solo Alpha for their heavy leaning into dramatization, I would want to addess my first and very likely last statement in this matter to the whole of us and this whole discussion. And I want to point out that it's altogether quite a very good example that this whole thread turns into a proof for the positive need of the requested forum.

Full Disclosure: European, so called caucasian white transgender speaking here. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

46 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I agree with much of what you said, but the Lindens are making specific community pages, so I guess it doesn't seem like an odd request to me to have community sub forums - perhaps tied to that project, even.

Depends on how much LL wants to run with that idea, I guess.

I actually think sub forums for communities would be fine.  Expecting moderation to be better than it is?  I just don't see that happening and that's the one amd only reason I don't think it will work out as hoped.  I'd love if I were.proven wrong.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, CarlaWetter said:

Having an area for an LGBTQ+ community that absolutely exists in SL does not take anyones perceived freedoms away in any imaginable way.

Never claimed freedoms are stripped away. But this specific subforum is requested to stifle debate or opinions contrary by limiting speech of others. That's the intend.

And recognizing a certain group as a minority group that has to face repressions in many many countries and places on this world does not take any of your rights away.

I doubt this group lacks recognition, especially inworld or in these forums. It's not my problem they see enemies in every statement made by those they deem exclusive. 

And while I quote Solo Alpha for their heavy leaning into dramatization, ... 

.. I'd prefer the term hyperbole.

ETA : Stating , again , that I am not objecting to the creation of said forum.

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I actually think sub forums for communities would be fine.  Expecting moderation to be better than it is?  I just don't see that happening and that's the one amd only reason I don't think it will work out as hoped.  I'd love if I were.proven wrong.

That's very true. I like Maddy's optimistic view that if the subject matter isn't of interest, most will simply scroll on by. But yeah.

• Like 2

Reminder, while there are a vocal few loudly protesting and mud slinging, there is no need to engage or debate their "points".

Their aim seems patently clear, drag this thread into the weeds and get it locked before we can get an answer from @Linden Lab, which is pretty much what they do with every single thread that has a LGBTQ+ theme and precisely why I have made this request.

I've spoken with quite a few LGBTQ+ SL friends, most of which are aware of the thread and simply don't feel safe sticking their neck out due to the persistent hostility on display. If we get granted an LGBTQ+ forum, that would go a long way to getting them to engage with these forums.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 5

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Reminder, while there are a vocal few loudly protesting and mud slinging, there is no need to engage or debate their "points".

Their aim seems patently clear, drag this thread into the weeds and get it locked before we can get an answer from @Linden Lab, which is pretty much what they do with every single thread that has a LGBTQ+ theme and precisely why I have made this request.

I've spoken with quite a few LGBTQ+ SL friends, most of which are aware of the thread and simply don't feel safe sticking their neck out due to the persistent hostility on display. If we get granted an LGBTQ+ forum, that would go a long way to getting them to engage with these forums.

So your objective IS to exclude people from the sub forum. This post makes that very clear.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

But no one seems to have an issue with someone posting a kitten meme and then having 15 posts after that all about kittens in a thread, which is clearly off topic.  Which btw, is totally irritating and unnecessary.

Grumpy cat is displeased with you for suggesting cat memes are irritating and unnecessary. He's not very happy with your stance on this topic either.

140417123_GrumpyCat2.jpg.7219aa64a8657f37f43c956a0dd08aff.jpg

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

So your objective IS to exclude people from the sub forum.

The objective of an LGBTQ+ forum can only be to offer a positive focus on themes of the aforementioned community. If you feel that would impede on your right to be a negative influence, that's alone on you. No matter how you want to dress it up.

Get real, what do you think the forum moderators would do in such a group different from what they do elsewhere? And how comes our liberties aren't affected by the need to stay on topic in the Land or Tech centric forums? It's not helpful to this discussion if we keep building up and burning down each others straw men.

Edited by CarlaWetter
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, CarlaWetter said:

I'm quite appalled how a request for a community forum can be met with such an amount on synthetic drama and vitriol.

26 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

See, one can do this until the cows come home. I've been present to this type of attitude, witnessed it first hand both in thought and action - and watched to how it progressed to a point that others were getting TRULY hurt - whether at the least ostracizing and mistreatment from the controlling majority or at the worst getting banned from a platform.

And every single time, every single time the attitude was always that everyone else was being hostile, harassing, belligerent, rude and the accusation of simply got repeated over and over and over again - and without any proof and in many cases no reasoning to feel that way.

You're not going to win anyone over to your cause when you keep labeling those who just hold a different opinion or worldview from your hostile, or that they are a danger to you.

Speaking your opinion is fine, and fighting for your worldview is fine too. It's when it starts to go beyond: calling for the ostracizing, boycotting or just telling people "you don't need to talk to them" then yes, this topic needs to be locked because it has become pointless.

Note: I don't hold any grudges or ill-will against anyone here I disagree with, and I don't have a problem with them in an way - until of course they come with pitchforks to my front door...

6 minutes ago, CarlaWetter said:

The objective of an LGBTQ+ forum can only be to offer a positive focus on themes of the aforementioned community. If you feel that would impede on your right to be a negative influence, that's alone on you. No matter how you want to dress

Again,  you are thinking the worst of another Second Life member, and framing them as a hostile or negative force - when there is no reason to believe so.

You cannot win people to your side by villainizing those who don't agree with you.

Edited by entity0x
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, entity0x said:

You cannot win people to your side by villainizing those who don't agree with you.

It's even worse : you cannot grow stronger in your goals whilst decimating your possible allies. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Solo Alpha said:

This thread is also a very fine example of a militant left-winged attempt under guise of the banner of LGBTQ+ to attack freedom of speech by corporate means in an environment that is supposed to be free and inclusive for ALL.

Courage to those excluded from Scylla's love. 

When have you had your freedom of speech attacked in the past few days? I've even asked you to clarify and expand on some of your statements and you haven't.

• Like 1

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

When have you had your freedom of speech attacked in the past few days? I've even asked you to clarify and expand on some of your statements and you haven't.

I never claimed I was personally attacked. I find the attitude of many of these self-proclaimed representatives disturbing, because they demand controlled speech for everyone but those sharing their exact opinion. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Solo Alpha said:

I never claimed I was personally attacked. I find the attitude of many of these self-proclaimed representatives disturbing, because they demand controlled speech for everyone but those sharing their exact opinion. 

But not you, apparently, even though you don't share the exact opinion?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, entity0x said:

you are thinking the worst of another Second Life member, and framing them as a hostile or negative force - when there is no reason to believe so.

I am forming an opinion on peoples thoughts and opinions based on what they write. If that is somehow unreasonable I'm certainly guilty as charged. Otherwise there's the old adage of shoes that fit...

And now excuse me, there's far too many glasshouse shards already around to be good for my heart rate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.