Do you find it harder to talk to "perfect" avis?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In another thread I saw someone mention that they find it harder to talk to "perfect" avis and they preferred avis with some flaws or something along those lines.

Do you feel this way?

I never thought about this before seeing that comment. I realized for me, I'm more likely to talk to interesting looking avis. The meaning of interesting varies. It's just an avi that catches my attention and makes me go "oooo." I don't really notice the ones who look like everyone else.

• Like 4

Very much depends on the nature of their (im)perfections. I approach people more based on what's in their profile usually, unless their avi is really cute.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

I'm also seeing an interesting pattern where it seems like people don't consider their own avi perfect even though they made it?

Nope.  I'm not perfect in RL and I'm not perfect in SL.

In any case, how an avatar looks does not impact at all whether or not I'll talk to them.  If I find the profile interesting, then I might.  However, I'm very introverted & a loner, so I don't talk to others much anyway.

• Like 3

I have noticed this with my own avatars where with my one account I try my best too have her look good and when I do get IM's, am complimented on her looks as being pretty, beautiful or sexy, without it going any further then that. Those IM's are infrequent and it is not unusual to not get any messages at all. Another account I have, I only dressed the avi in free clothing and a low cost (300L$) all inclusive mesh avatar with clothes and hair. I thought she was cute enough but I couldn't believe the IM's she would get as soon as she entered the same club where my good avatar barely gets any. So yes, I think the more "perfect" as in beautiful/sexy/pretty avatars, do see less IM's then those less so.

Having said that though I will mention that in chats with one's who I think are Domme fashionestas especially with a somewhat haughty look, they have mentioned they do get a fair few IM's but mostly from those looking to be their submissives rather then men looking for some slex.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I have noticed this with my own avatars where with my one account I try my best too have her look good and when I do get IM's, am complimented on her looks as being pretty, beautiful or sexy, without it going any further then that. Those IM's are infrequent and it is not unusual to not get any messages at all. Another account I have, I only dressed the avi in free clothing and a low cost (300L$) all inclusive mesh avatar with clothes and hair. I thought she was cute enough but I couldn't believe the IM's she would get as soon as she entered the same club where my good avatar barely gets any.

I've noticed something similar.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

I'm also seeing an interesting pattern where it seems like people don't consider their own avi perfect even though they made it?

I've got over a dozen heads and well over a hundred skins (thanks to super generous stores with sales, freebies, group gifts, and daily Mini/Midnight Mania boards). There's no way on this planet I'd ever consider my avatar perfect, otherwise I'd never change my look as often as I do. 😄

To give a more thorough answer - I'm with the others who say they talk to people based on profile information more than anything. Of course, I've absolutely seen people with amazing avatars, and I'll definitely let them know how cool/cute/incredible I think they look. There's really nothing about an avatar that would make me hesitant to do that, no.

I mean, the way SL works, one good sneeze and our hair can wind up stuck to our hands with our attachments floating off into the sky and ruin absolutely everything cool we had going on in the first place, so...🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I find it irritating that people will IM me about how pretty or sexy my avatar is and get STUCK on that.  For some reason they think my avatar is ME.  The whole conversation surrounds my avatars looks. "wow, you are beautiful" "wow, you have a nice butt" "wow that dress is so hot on you" Even if the conversation gets sidetracked and we actually have a bit of conversation about our likes/dislikes, where we are from, etc it comes back to. "can I just say again how sexy you are. I'd love to take you out" and then every other sentence goes like that. It's then that I just start saying some bizarre things in the hopes they will leave me alone. lol

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I find it irritating that people will IM me about how pretty or sexy my avatar is and get STUCK on that.  For some reason they think my avatar is ME.  The whole conversation surrounds my avatars looks. "wow, you are beautiful" "wow, you have a nice butt" "wow that dress is so hot on you" Even if the conversation gets sidetracked and we actually have a bit of conversation about our likes/dislikes, where we are from, etc it comes back to. "can I just say again how sexy you are. I'd love to take you out" and then every other sentence goes like that. It's then that I just start saying some bizarre things in the hopes they will leave me alone. lol

I always assume they're just wanting to compliment me and not have an actual conversation when they start that way so I just say "ty" and don't reply to anything after.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

I always assume they're just wanting to compliment me and not have an actual conversation when they start that way so I just say "ty" and don't reply to anything after.

This happens to me too. Usually after I've said 'thanks', there will be no further comments.

However, there has been the odd instance when the person goes on to fish for me to say something along the same lines in return. I naturally refrain from doing so, unless I peek over at whoever approached me and find someone I actually find to look good; for whilst I don't consider myself wholly unkind, I am prone to cruelty in my honesty - if an avatar looks like an abomination, and a failed attempt of creating the likeness of a human being, and I'm pressed for an opinion on their appearance; I will tell them that I find them to be an abomination, and a failed attempt of creating the likeness of a human being. 

And, apparently, that isn't usually what they're fishing for.

Not all are quite so bad, of course. But most are. Going to a club in SL is usually not unlike going to the zoo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

No, because I don't think "perfection" is really a thing -- both in the sense that I have no concrete idea of what it might look like, and because I think aesthetic conceptions tend to be highly subjective. What I consider ugly might well be someone else's idea of "perfect." And who am I to tell them they're wrong?

That's surely what SL is about, in large measure: representing as WE want to, rather than according to some unachievable socially-dictated idea of perfection. It certainly isn't about my idea of it.

I'll accordingly compliment someone on a particular garment, rather than their overall appearance, although I will sometimes note with pleasure someone who has produced something unique looking (which I am certainly not).

I can't imagine trying to impose my own aesthetic sense on someone else by telling them I think they look awful, regardless of my own feelings or whether a compliment was solicited or not. That seems to me the height of arrogance, and it belittles the creativity of someone who has probably put real effort into their appearance, whether I "approve" or not.

Everyone's self-expression here is valid and "perfect."

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, Orwar said:

if an avatar looks like an abomination, and a failed attempt of creating the likeness of a human being, and I'm pressed for an opinion on their appearance; I will tell them that I find them to be an abomination, and a failed attempt of creating the likeness of a human being. 

Oh you're ruthless lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.