Old coder - well ok

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm ditching premium on my accounts as they come up.  I find no value in it.  I've already stopped importing cash into SL.

And after all, Meta will be along in a moment with something better than SL, with added Zukerblob - not only that, but by profiling my behavior they will be able to offer me, well, err, wonderful things!  I can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

it could be something the LDPW requested.  For inworld Premium gift givers/games/experiences and such. Like touch to get a ride ticket. If premium get two tickets, etc etc

the return values are either 0 Basic or 1 Premium. So it appears that Premium Plus has not been considered for inclusion at this time, which doesn't mean that 2 Premium Plus might not eventuate one day (dunno tho exactly)

But once inserted, that line of code could then be amended for 2 or 3.

44 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But once inserted, that line of code could then be amended for 2 or 3.

yes. It could happen at some future time

just about why I  think that is most likely a request from LDPW, is that llGetObjectDetails is restricted to region

is not a grid-wide function like llRequestAgentData https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestAgentData which returns agent account info like: DATA_ONLINE, DATA_NAME, DATA_BORN, DATA_PAYINFO

that Linden chose to surface OBJECT_ACCOUNT_LEVEL and not DATA_ACCOUNT_LEVEL suggests to me that the feature request was for a narrow circumstance/use case based on region. And I can only think of LDPW who would be able to make a compelling case to have it done the way it has been

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

OBJECT_ACCOUNT_LEVEL that returns If You Are - or not - premium

Currently, yes. However, it's not a 0/1 type field so in the future it could tell your exact premium tier status, once other tiers have been introduced. We still don't know what they look like but with this LSL change in mind there might be a greater interest in determining someone's status than there is now due to whatever features are included.

Also with this feature introduced it would be interesting to see how big the percentage of premium members in full event sims actually is.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I wonder if releasing such info to the public is according to the EU rules about privacy on the Internet.

Completely fine, it's a coding value that simply returns a state. Such commands are used all the time in software development. Unless there is something hidden under the hood or the endpoint of an API that fetches your account data is exposed, the only meaning this value will have is return 2 states, well 3 if we count the -1 value.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I wonder if releasing such info to the public is according to the EU rules about privacy on the Internet.

If showing the payment info status hasn't been a problem, this won't be either.

Personally I don't care / I'm not concerned about this feature, at least it can't be used to actively harass someone outside of SL like previously released features.

Sure it's easy to think of all the worst ways new account info can be misused, but this isn't gonna be any different from what we already have. (As an aside, don't all premium users have payment info on file and used?)

Re: Landowners, they have always been the rulers of their kingdom. Allowing them to exclude people for any reason is their right and nobody here has argued against it before.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

...at least it can't be used to actively harass someone outside of SL like previously released features.

Not being argumentative or challenging a person who is infinitely more knowledgeable than me, but just seeking knowledge, what previously-released features allow harassment outside SL?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Not being argumentative or challenging a person who is infinitely more knowledgeable than me, but just seeking knowledge, what previously-released features allow harassment outside SL?

It's a totally fair question!

The most recent one in my mind is https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTargetedEmail. Its original functionality would allow you to send emails to an object's creator, even if you didn't know the address. All you needed was any modifiable object from them.

After this was brought up on the forum, that functionality was disabled and now emails can only be sent to the object's owner, which isn't exploitable because the owner can obviously delete the object.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

It's a totally fair question!

The most recent one in my mind is https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTargetedEmail. Its original functionality would allow you to send emails to an object's creator, even if you didn't know the address. All you needed was any modifiable object from them.

After this was brought up on the forum, that functionality was disabled and now emails can only be sent to the object's owner, which isn't exploitable because the owner can obviously delete the object.

Also, llOpenFloater() which also had to be neutered (made Linden use only).

• Thanks 1

I'm fairly unconcerned. If someone doesn't want me around, I have no use for them anyway:

Last year I saw something on the MP that I thought might be pretty useful for an outfit I was putting together. But I'm one of those people who doesn't buy clothing or the like without a demo and there wasn't one available on the MP. However ... the listing did say that a demo was available in-world.

So I attempted to TP to the link listed for the shop only to get a message telling me I can't teleport to that region. I was confused!

I jumped on to my main avatar and WAS able to tp into that region. Hmmm ... very strange.

So I sent a notecard to the creator of the item explaining the problem and asking if they had any idea what was going on. I got a response telling me that the region was blocked to anyone who didn't have payment details on record.

Given that I used to buy all my $L on one avatar (I stopped buying quite frankly ... there's just so little I actually want these days that I'm just using up my existing balance) naturally there's no reason to have payment info on my alts.

End result ... A lost sale to that creator, and to my delight I found a better item that was mod so I had a big win there.

I've never found any place or thing on SL that I couldn't access that caused me to go without ... there's always an alternative.

5 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I think llOpenFloater was always restricted to Linden-owned experiences, wasn't it?    

Lucia will know more about it, just that as I remember Linden asked for feedback from residents at the time, both here on the forums and at the inworld user group meeting.  The overwhelming response from resident scripters was that it would be unsuitable for general release, given its open-endedness

• Thanks 1

• Moles
13 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

Lucia will know more about it, just that as I remember Linden asked for feedback from residents at the time, both here on the forums and at the inworld user group meeting.  The overwhelming response from resident scripters was that it would be unsuitable for general release, given its open-endedness

Thanks.   I'm just wondering if it ever was available to non-Linden experiences.   If it was, it couldn't have been for long.   Has anyone but me ever actually used it?

5 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I think llOpenFloater was always restricted to Linden-owned experiences, wasn't it?    

I believe its fate was the same as llTargetedEmail, as in it was further restricted before it was released on the main grid. llOpenFloater was definitely going to be available to any Experience at first.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

It didn't make it to agni with usage outside of Linden use only, unlike llTargetedEmail() which managed to last at least one week on agni before being nerfed.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.