How to be a good friend?

MishaMilan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I also have one personal pet peeve on that very subject though; people who add me to their contact list, and then revoke my ability to see their online status through it. That just completely ruins the purpose of that list, and if I notice anyone doing it, they're off my contact list without any questions asked.

I have the same policy. I periodically check, a few people I will ask about it, though not everyone, most people just get removed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Amore said:

Just don't become that person who's waiting alone for years, for some chance meeting that blossoms into a lifelong friendship. There are people like this, in life and in SL, some day they will be older, and wiser, and looking back on all those years wasted in waiting.

Find your niche in SL, occupy those places and get to know people. Friendships are easily made on roleplaying sims, those are people you'll continue communicating with years after the sim has closed. Outside of roleplaying sims it can be difficult to make connections, I only see a couple of non-roleplayers on my FL.

Thank you! I think this is a very good addition to the answer from @Ren Toxx

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MishaMilan said:

Is it possible to somehow find out that your "Friend" is hiding from you?))

If online trackers are still a thing, then yes, but the friend might be hiding from everyone, just wanting some own space, which I found really hard to get at times. 

The best sorts of friends are those with whom I've shared common interests, we've met on neutral territory, a welcome area/infohub, or a coffee house, or even in a sandbox. 

The worst sorts of friends are those who buzz in with an IM almost before you've arrived in world, and want to take over your Second Life.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MishaMilan said:

Open their profile.

If their status indicator says Online or Offline, they haven't done anything such. If the indicator is missing, however ..

c60e10b44d8d4c16328462405868f8b5.png

Gonners by the Fjorders = you've been ghosted.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, MishaMilan said:

How to be a good friend? What does a good friend mean to you?

Being a good friend I think is a little bit more than just being a friend.

My view on this is a little unconventional.

To be a good friend you need to have the emotional and physical capacity to not just help yourself but help other people.

You will not be able to support your friend when they are having a mental crisis, if you too are not at your best up there. Likewise when physical strength is needed, if you are weak you are not going to be much of a help.

So, get exercising and sort diet out are first ports of call to me.

Listen to what they have to say, ask them how their day was and keep track of it in your mind.

Then there is leadership. If you have a long term friend, to be a bit biblical despite I am not actually religious myself - Lead them not into temptation, but deliver them from evil. They are your life long friend. You want to ensure that they make good decisions and lead a fulfilling life, have a high quality of life. Look out for them, be involved and help them make informed decisions.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, MishaMilan said:

Yes, if you go to your dashboard, to the page for buying Lindens, There is a list of your contacts. First it shows the contacts online, then after that it lists the contacts offline. Any contacts that are not on either list are hidden.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

Yes, if you go to your dashboard, to the page for buying Lindens, There is a list of your contacts. First it shows the contacts online, then after that it lists the contacts offline. Any contacts that are not on either list are hidden.

:o I didn't knew about that. Even though some of my friend's hide themselves from my online status, I be like it's none of my business knowing why they did it. If they can't be straight with me, well, I have plenty of friends, who are straight and honest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, karenx0 said:

If they can't be straight with me, well, I have plenty of friends, who are straight and honest.

With me I have a friend with several alts. I was introduced to them and they were added to my contact list. I then noticed later that my friend would tell me they needed to log and go to the store, when in fact they were logged onto a now hidden alt. The question for me was why? Was this due to their being worried that I might not understand thier desire to do something else, something I have little interest in, and are they worried I might not want to continue spending any time with them if I.do not get all their time? I am not that way, and while it would be nice if they had the confidence to say. "Hey, I am going to go do that RP you aren't into now, see you tomorrow" instead of "I have to log now to go to the store" I am not going to hold it against them.

• Like 5

So many good responses, and so many profound words as well. I for one could talk about friendship, true friendship, and even about fake friendship, but instead I think my contribution to this great question/topic will be this (atm)...

f5a947fbee78f63ad3672412e266e92b.png

23f8f211acc20095621ef13a2aa842b0.png

a5eb0f496886f4ea70cdde4f2108b62d.png

Peace...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

The worst sorts of friends are those who buzz in with an IM almost before you've arrived in world, and want to take over your Second Life.  

Sometimes they aren't even that bad, they are just lonely.  That is why I have tried to appear offline to people in the past, it is not that I don't care about them, but I can't spend a few hours every day I'm logged into SL talking about whatever may be wrong - and I admit, I make for a poor friend due to that.  It is one of the reasons I don't even add people to my friends list anymore. 

I really wish SL would give us a proper option to appear offline, that can not be compromised.  On the plus side, I suppose if they do find out that you have them temporarily ghosted and block you, then you don't have to worry about it anymore - outside of the gut wrenching guilt that you have hurt them.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I really wish SL would give us a proper option to appear offline, that can not be compromised. 

One option would be an away message, explaining why you are not accepting messages at this time.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

The worst sorts of friends are those who buzz in with an IM almost before you've arrived in world, and want to take over your Second Life

Or those who log on while you are already on, send an IM asking to meet up. You respond with a friendly reply about how you are busy at the moment but would love to see them another time, and they say thanks and log off. If your enjoyment of SL is dependent on me, then you are to needy.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 1:08 AM, Orwar said:

I also have one personal pet peeve on that very subject though; people who add me to their contact list, and then revoke my ability to see their online status through it. That just completely ruins the purpose of that list, and if I notice anyone doing it, they're off my contact list without any questions asked. It has happened that people have said that they do that because they want to be left alone - but we already have a feature for that in changing your online status to busy or away. The counter argument that 'oh but people still want your attention even if you're set to busy', is easily shot down by how such people shouldn't be on your contact list to begin with.

I had someone on my friends list who revoked my ability to see that she was online. How did I know? We lived on the same sim, and I could see her on my radar. 

I set my status to busy if I don't want to talk to people. If I really don't want to talk to someone, I remove them from my list. That happens quite regularly. I think I am too quick to accept SL friendship and should offer calling cards instead.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.