eyesore of the day

rasterscan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, animats said:

If only that worked for big, ugly, low-altitude skydomes.

uglyskydomes.thumb.png.cf0af04685547abb0101d1947a9de2f6.png

Hundreds of objects to derender to make these go away. And they block the sun.

A couple of times this afternoon I have found myself truly lost for words.  

Truly. Lost. For. Words. :/ 

• Like 1

I found that area search in Firestorm helps. Search by owner name of the skydomes. Ban all returns you get on the list. Now you have lots of floating furniture. Click one and find the owner. Search by owner name again. Ban all on the list you get back. If it is set to a group, search by "owned by group" and group name.

It worked for me. It is fast to select all the items on the page, derender and blacklist. If it is more pages, it is still very quick compared to selecting separate items.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 9

On 10/31/2021 at 1:47 PM, animats said:

If only that worked for big, ugly, low-altitude skydomes.

uglyskydomes.thumb.png.cf0af04685547abb0101d1947a9de2f6.png

Hundreds of objects to derender to make these go away. And they block the sun.

They block all forms of life on 4, and sometimes 8 sims.

I have been doing battle with them as some people know, starting campaigns, getting signatures, etc. 

And there are a few cases where they have disappeared completely -- possibly because all 20 or 25 of the ones stacked up just weren't rented, or maybe two were, making it a losing proposition. I would then see land abandoned or sold. 

I can't at all prove this is related to my petitions, sometimes placed on large billboards in the view. If anything, likely not, as these land barons do what they wish.

One thing I've discovered is that some of them also own events -- to make money in SL, you have to do a lot of different things, so you may discover that the company deploying Domes of Doom also run merchants' events, make content, sponsor contests, having social sites etc etc. 

So petitions noting that you will boycott those things unless the domes get out of the view might help change behaviour -- but unlikely. You can't get people to boycott places where they like to shop or socialize, especially if they are the Doom Dome tenants.

I've calculated that with the vacancy I see on a lot of Doom Dome stack-ups, they could remove one or two at the bottom, out of the view, and create nicer sims that are more attractive to come to (although that's not a factor, as people rent these from centralized hubs and have no idea what is happening on the ground -- they TP in, put the privacy cover on, and create little worlds with water etc inside the dome.

Recently I asked a guy who had one of these domes not even in the sky, but right on the land, why he couldn't put it up 500 m. He responded frankly, "Because I'm an Q@#@#$". His dome forced abandonment of land on 4 sims, as they often do. I entered that situation knowingly but rather putting up my own wall of dubious artistic value, I thought I'd ask politely.  His gf felt bad and took the privacy off when they weren't there - at least that gives you a blue sky and trees somewhat fitting with other neighbours. Then the white veil descends when Daddy comes home. Etc.

The Lindens have no incentive to ban Doom Domes or crime scene tape or land cutting to 256 squares and a sleight of hand involved in putting them to sale oddly so that they never appear to violate the land cutting policy. That's because they want to drive people to Bellisseria.

They are succeeding.

And they don't even have these people ruining the view on their payroll. 

Why is some landlord doing this on a large scale? If you have enough of those things to fill a region, you can rent your own isolated region for this sort of thing.

Thinking back, the ones in the picture I posted appeared when new regions were unavailable because the old Linden Lab data center was full and the transition to AWS hadn't happened yet. Now that new region sales are working again, there's no excuse for this sort of thing.

Does anyone have a "move build to another location" tool that works?

This needs to stop!!

Snapshot_18116.thumb.png.ce2e09f66dc9151f4f40438401557572.png

they are grefing with this ugly obelisks in every corner!!

i have 2 surrendering my land now,  such an ayesore and derending is not a solution!

they like to have it right in front of your lands, and if they can have it right in the middle of your land they will do it!

Webp.net-resizeimage(53).thumb.jpg.04fc684a403fbe27577a6dbe162a6a2b.jpg

Edited by SarahThe Wanderer
because
  • Like 2
  • Sad 7

I used to live there @SarahThe Wanderer, and they keep on adding more and more everywhere, right in the middle of every parcel. It is not only how ugly they are (at least to me), it is all the impact they have, since they use them as portals or something like that during their RP.

I was tempted to go back and get some of the abandoned land around, but just finding out how many more they have placed, made me change my mind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

This needs to stop!!

Snapshot_18116.thumb.png.ce2e09f66dc9151f4f40438401557572.png

they are grefing with this ugly obelisks in every corner!!

i have 2 surrendering my land now,  such an ayesore and derending is not a solution!

they like to have it right in front of your lands, and if they can have it right in the middle of your land they will do it!

Webp.net-resizeimage(53).thumb.jpg.04fc684a403fbe27577a6dbe162a6a2b.jpg

I've seen some lovely parcels for sale, but these obelisks have spoiled the view so I didn't buy. They really are everywhere, and I'm seeing more and more of them on the other continents now too ☹️ I have never seen anyone use them for anything, or even be near them. But I have noticed they seem to buy a normal size parcel, cut the 16m2 bit out, plonk the obelisk down, then sell or abandon the rest. 

• Like 3

Somehow I've not noticed these obelisks so far (not getting time to explore much these days), but they look to be pretty clear violations of the ad policy.

I can already imagine some Libertarian legalistas protesting that they're not obvious ads, but for years that was not considered an excuse: just having common ownership or appearance was deemed enough to be "advertising" something. Unless some Governance Lindens have gone crypto-anarchist recently, they should recognize those eyesores for the simple griefing that is their obvious intent.

Anyway, here's the relevant chunk of the official adfarm policy:

Advertising rules and restrictions

No one wants to be subjected to unwanted advertising — whether in the real or virtual world. Be considerate of your neighbors and avoid "ad farms."

If you operate a networked advertising business on the mainland that breaks any one of the following rules or restrictions, we will consider it to be a Terms of Service violation leading to disciplinary action that can include account suspension and loss of land.

• No more than fifty (50) locations containing advertising on the mainland may be owned and/or operated by any single individual or organization, whether through a personal account or a group account, unless you have obtained written permission from Linden Lab to exceed this limit.
  • No more than one advertisement is permitted by any single individual or organization (whether through a personal account or a group account) in any single region.
  • You should consider an "advertisement," as we’re using the term here, to be the common understanding of that term, including any content that explicitly promotes any space, good or service (whether in Second Life or elsewhere).

In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements:

• They must be grounded to the terrain, not floating.
  • They must extend no higher than 8 m from the ground.
  • They must contain no rotating or flashing content and no particles.
  • They must not dispense unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content.
  • They must emit no light sources or glow (full bright is acceptable).
  • Advertising hoardings must be Phantom.
  • Ad content must be clearly Parcel lght G.png General in nature.
  • Ads must not contain sound or temp-on-rez content.
  • Ad content may not be political in nature.
  • Ban lines should be switched off.

All advertisers must make a reasonable attempt to fit in with the local area and to respect the wishes of Residents living nearby wherever possible. Linden Lab can and will, at its sole discretion, ask you to remove or modify unacceptable advertising-related content. If you use alternate accounts, groups or other methods to attempt to create a networked advertising business that extends over 50 placements without express permission from Linden Lab, you will be asked to remove them.

Finally, if a review your land transactions shows that your primary purpose in placing the advertising content is to force the sale of land rather than genuinely advertise, this will be deemed to be a violation and dealt with accordingly.

I find it's sometimes helpful to list all the specific requirements that are violated when reporting the abuse—and you should report it, repeatedly, for every offending parcel, with as many friends as you can muster. Governance may still ignore all the reports but there's no point in making it easy for them to do so.

• Like 4

Along with this.part further down on the page @Qie Niangaocited...

You can expect that any practices that negatively impact the Mainland will be looked at and stopped where possible.

If you're engaged in something that clearly has a negative and widespread impact on the Mainland experience, we will request that you stop.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.