Is SL too hard for newbies?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

SL isn't a game. It's a sandbox.

5 hours ago, cunomar said:

Best description by far i have ever seen .

If your not into creating stuff then this game ain't for you .

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What a load of horsecrap. WTF is wrong with you?

1) I REPEAT, SL IS NOT A GAME.

2) You don't have to be into making things to have a place in SL! 

You deliberately twisted my words around to mean what you want them to mean. Again. You've done this several times. Stop it.

30 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean that is very subjective, to some people, it is a game. You really can't tell people how to think. That being said, you don't have to be a creator to enjoy SL, that I can agree with. 

Something is wrong with this picture. You seem to have just outed your own alt.

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Something is wrong with this picture. You seem to have just outed your own alt.

That isn't even my alt. So thank you for accusing me of that. But I stand by what I said, saying that everyone has to say SL is not a game is very wrong. I mean I look at it as a game. Heck, I made tonnes of friends on other online games. There is nothing wrong with anyone looking at SL in that way. 

Also this is the only account from my PC that uses SL forums. 

Edited by Sammy Huntsman

5 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

That isn't even my alt. So thank you for accusing me of that. But I stand by what I said, saying that everyone has to say SL is not a game is very wrong. I mean I look at it as a game. Heck, I made tonnes of friends on other online games. There is nothing wrong with anyone looking at SL in that way. 

Also this is the only account from my PC that uses SL forums. 

I used the word SEEMS because it was NOT an accusation.

I never said there was anything wrong with looking at SL as a game. I said it isn't a game. Huge difference.

Again, I just pointed out to you how it SEEMED. I did NOT accuse you of using an alt.

SEEMS does not mean IS. FFS.

43 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

1) I REPEAT, SL IS NOT A GAME.

I honestly think it's time we let this die.

Sure, it's not a traditional video game with things to do, monsters to kill and resources to compete over.

But loudly declaring "SL IS NOT" is broadly unhelpful, no one has ever had their interest peaked or gotten excited to hear what something isn't. It begs the question "WHAT IS SL" that's invariably followed by confusing vague nonsense that leaves no one any the wiser.

It's no wonder LL famously have no idea what this mess is or why any of us continue to use it, and that confusion taints everything it touches.

If people want to see SL as a social video game, sure thing, good for them, someone tell LL and we can get on with moving the platform forward with a defined purpose in mind.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The only thing I've ever created in 12+ years is a lovely wooden box.  I've styled avatars, landscaped and decorated my home.  Does that count as creating?   I've never considered it a game either but a social platform and it's more than fulfilled that niche.

I think it's a mistake to think of "game" and "create" as binary words.  There a loads of ways to create and there are many different kinds of games.  SL is a really soft "game" without preset rules or goals, but it's still loosely in the continuum of places where you can pretend, role play, and imagine.  Heck, playing with paper dolls is a "game". ;)  Creation is the same way. There are the hard core types who make fancy mesh and build castles, and then there are people who decorate their homes and change their outfits daily.  We're all creating ourselves and our personal space and the space we share with others.  I know that messes with the sort of labels we put on SL when we talk with the outside world but that's the way RL is too.  RL is a creation game too.  We all play it differently.

Tom Koch, 89, Dies; Comedy Writer Invented a 43-Man Game - The New York  Times

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think it's a mistake to think of "game" and "create" as binary words.  There a loads of ways to create and there are many different kinds of games.  SL is a really soft "game" without preset rules or goals, but it's still loosely in the continuum of places where you can pretend, role play, and imagine.  Heck, playing with paper dolls is a "game". ;)  Creation is the same way. There are the hard core types who make fancy mesh and build castles, and then there are people who decorate their homes and change their outfits daily.  We're all creating ourselves and our personal space and the space we share with others.  I know that messes with the sort of labels we put on SL when we talk with the outside world but that's the way RL is too.  RL is a creation game too.  We all play it differently.

Tom Koch, 89, Dies; Comedy Writer Invented a 43-Man Game - The New York  Times

Is this the part where some old person (me) is supposed to admonish you for playing at life? 🤭

On 11/30/2021 at 11:38 AM, Rolig Loon said:

I think it's a mistake to think of "game" and "create" as binary words.  There a loads of ways to create and there are many different kinds of games.  SL is a really soft "game" without preset rules or goals, but it's still loosely in the continuum of places where you can pretend, role play, and imagine.  Heck, playing with paper dolls is a "game".

As usual, Rolig dispenses wisdom.

From almost the beginning, I thought of SL as very like a big adult game of dolls. I still do.

It seems to me that seemingly endless arguments over whether SL is, or is not, a game are useless. Obviously, there are differences in how people define game and differences in how they utilize SL. There's nothing wrong with that. To each their own, as long as all take care that no one gets hurt.

Creating can be rewarding even when the skill required is low. I have very limited building skills, but I enjoy making the simple, useful (to me) things that I make. Decorating and furnishing my house is a continuing source of joy, as is putting together outfits for my avatar, and tweaking the avatar's appearance. These are creative activities even though they do not require much skill.

• Like 5

I made a stupid mistake yesterday; I let McAfee clean up unnecessary files from my computer. Tuns out that McAfee regarded the pref settings for Firestorm and Firefox as unnecessary. Oh well, I won't make that mistake again.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining and this gave me the opportunity to see the interface as it is presented to a newcomer. There were three very obvious things that can be improved, two of them should be very simple fixes, the third probably not. So, if any viewer developer reads this:

1. Disable the silly typing, shouting and God-knows-what-else chat animations by default. Yes, it's a minor issue but it can be embarrasing enough to be a newbie among veterans anyway, no need to rub it in.
  2. Enable WASD and the other keybord movement controls by default.
  3. Reconsider the default graphics settings. I know this is difficult since there are so many hardware combinations to take into account. But the graphics quality Fs chose for my computer was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to low and that's not good of course. It's even worse if some people get graphics quality too high for their hardware.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new beginning areas of SL are definitely way more complicated than they were when I had my first account, back in 2003, much less when I came back in 2015. 

I don't generally speak to noobs, simply because I hate being ignored or being treated like I don't know what I'm talking about or something. It's pretty much the exact same way you get treated as a host, at a club. Some will be nice and talk back, but others will act like you're just a bot or something. Like, really? I'm here too. Not just the DJ or something. Or, they'll try to proposition.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:15 PM, cunomar said:

Best description by far i have ever seen .

If your not into creating stuff then this game ain't for you .

There’s anther level in SL. Without the barrier  of social construction of what is normality we can be who we feel we really are inside.  Like others said, SL  is a highly customisable  platform that allows for self expression.  I guess if you want to digitally play out a fantasy or try something you always wanted to do you will persist with learning. If instant gratification is your thing there’s Xbox.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.