Smoking: Influencing vs Programmability

Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

I know that it won't happen. These things were introduced a long time ago in order to hurt the individual and essentially keep their senses dulled. It works, and has been working well for a long time now.

Smoking never dulled my senses - other than my sense of taste and sense of smell.  Nicotine can actually enhance a person's ability to focus and can improve memory.

Alcohol will have a far more severe reaction on someone's ability to focus.

• Like 4

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Smoking never dulled my senses - other than my sense of taste and sense of smell.  Nicotine can actually enhance a person's ability to focus and can improve memory.

Okay, again, you are talking about yourself, just as Jordan was. Are you everybody else?

Nicotine is harmful and addictive, it is not a good thing. For you to be making excuses for things that are harmful to people is honestly pretty mindboggling.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Nick0678 said:

Sorry Mr Vincent van Gogh but we have to remove your paintings. You are a bad influence.

Skirting the risk of descent into "cancel culture" drivel, there's some interesting semiotics here. Do we think van Gogh's self-portrait would include a pipe if painted today?

He might very well smoke something if he were alive today. Not out of character for artists, right?

But would he have included it in a self-portrait? A pipe is a very different signifier now than it was in the 1880s. In an image, smoking is now mostly associated with horrific death and debilitation, and that pipe now evokes an oxygen tank.

"The Treachery of Images" indeed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

Nicotine is harmful and addictive, it is not a good thing

Studies actually show quite the opposite, they use nicotine therapy in dementia patients. Nicotine Therapy is also great for people with ADHD and ADD. I am not telling people to smoke, but there are other ways to intake nicotine without all the harmful chemicals and combustibles of a cigarette. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

Okay, again, you are talking about yourself, just as Jordan was. Are you everybody else?

Nicotine is harmful and addictive, it is not a good thing. For you to be making excuses for things that are harmful to people is honestly pretty mindboggling.

Yes, smoking is harmful in many ways and addictive --- but it does not dull the senses.   Do some research on the topic of nicotine & brains.

I'm not arguing that smoking is not harmful.  I am simply refuting some of your comments that are not true.  You should at least use facts when arguing a point of view.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've never smoked in my life. My avatar smokes all the time (pipe, cigarette, kiseru, you name it). If it troubles someone they have 2 options:

1. make their own rules on their own land to ban smoking

2. block & derender so they can't see my avatar smoking

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are countless artists who maintain they actually do their best work when they're under the influence of alcohol.

Theresa Tennyson murmurs something to herself which she chooses not to write down, but would like to point out that she herself doesn't necessarily agree with that statement.

1 hour ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Absolutely not. The moment we restrict a single piece of artistic freedom, it opens a gateway for restricting stuff, and then suddenly we are at China level censorship

I was the one who raised the question that started this whole mess, but I did not ask if these images should be restricted or banned. Individuals make choices, just because you are free to do so does not mean you should. I am free to stick a Confederate flag decal on my car, but I choose not to. I am not now nor will I ever be in favor of censorship.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Studies actually show quite the opposite, they use nicotine therapy in dementia patients. Nicotine Therapy is also great for people with ADHD and ADD. I am not telling people to smoke, but there are other ways to intake nicotine without all the harmful chemicals and combustibles of a cigarette. 

It's a pretty effective pesticide too.

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, smoking it is harmful in many ways and addictive --- but it does not dull the senses.   Do some research on the topic of nicotine & brains.

I'm not arguing that smoking is not harmful.  I am simply refuting some of your comments that are not true.  You should at least use facts when arguing a point of view.

I have done research, clearly you have not done enough. And I'm not even going to try and debate with someone who has an obvious case of confirmation bias. Good day.

Edited by xLunaea
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

11 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It's a pretty effective pesticide too.

I mean sure, but that isn't the point of the OP. That all being said, yes I was a smoker. Yes I used smoking as a way to help me concentrate. I did not like the effects that ritalin produced after taking said medication. I stopped it and went straight to smoking. When vaping came around and I actually got into it. I now use nic salt vape juice to help me concentrate. I don't know why we demonize nicotine, when it is also used for Dementia and ADHD patients. 

• Like 1

I don't think there are many kids playing SL, due to this I think it is almost pointless to argue over avatars smoking.  For those who are older, and still easily influenced, we simply can not make a sterile environment for them without making SL incredibly bland.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Quistess Alpha said:

And morphine is an effective painkiller, but we keep it restricted to very specific medical uses only. for good and obvious reasons.

It's absolutely funny and kinda hypocritical, that people want to decriminalize drugs. But yet, they want to criminalize cigarettes. When Drugs like heroin are more harmful than cigarettes. 

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Without the combustibles, Nicotine is as harmless as caffeine. If done in moderation. 

I saw an episode of "True Tales of the Emergency Room" where a little old lady sent her whole family to the hospital when she made dinner using some greens growing in her garden, one of which was wild tobacco.

It's absolutely funny and kinda hypocritical, that people want to decriminalize drugs. But yet, they want to criminalize cigarettes. When Drugs like heroin are more harmful than cigarettes. 

And you can buy heroin at any gas station...

Oh, wait...

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I was literallly talking about nicotine with tobacco, like the patch or vaping or any other way to adminster it. Without the use of tobacco or combustibles or chemicals. 

Edited by Sammy Huntsman

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I was literallly talking about nicotine with tobacco, like the patch or vaping or any other way to adminster it. Without the use of tobacco or combustibles or chemicals. 

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Liquid-Nicotine-Used-in-E-Cigarettes-Can-Kill-Children.aspx

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Okay but I mean who is actually ingesting this stuff? Minus kids. Again I don't get why people demonize smoking cigarettes and even the administering of nicotine. Yet they don't don't do that with weed or thc. Like it perplexes me, smoking in general is terrible for your health. The combustibles created, getting into your lungs. Can do a number of things. But I digress, what is the actual issue with someone smoking in an SL pic? 

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I just want to say, it is being used in a controlled medical scenario to help people with dementia and alzheimers and adhd. 

Yes, nothing is ever as simple as good drug/ bad drug. Nobody but you is talking about "controlled medical scenarios".

Again I don't get why people demonize smoking cigarettes and even the administering of nicotine. Yet they don't don't do that with weed or thc.

Yes I *** demonize weed and thc as well.

Just now, Quistess Alpha said:

Yes, nothing is ever as simple as good drug/ bad drug. Nobody but you is talking about "controlled medical scenarios".

Yes I *** demonize weed and thc as well.

But THC can be used in vape pens and actually be less harmless than it's smoked counterparts. I don't see why people need to demonize it, I don't smoke it, however I am not gonna demonize it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.