Smoking: Influencing vs Programmability

Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

But THC can be used in vape pens and actually be less harmless than it's smoked counterparts. I don't see why people need to demonize it, I don't smoke it, however I am not gonna demonize it. 

Depending on the vape pens, they can be quite dangerous than smoking the actual plant. People have died from "popcorn lungs" due to *****ty vape pens. But unfortunately when it comes to the actual plant, people are growing them with pesticides now, which isn't good for anyone to inhale. Dispensary weed = poison. You have to pay more money for "organic," which is crazy.

Homegrown all the way! xD

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

But I digress, what is the actual issue with someone smoking in an SL pic? 

Nobody said a piece of art depicting smoking should be censored. Someone simply said it's something to consider -- how the portrayal might affect society.

This is a personal choice an artist can make... and for me, if I am creating a piece of art intended to show beauty I don't want something in it that has caused untold suffering and death.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Which is what started this whole mess.  NOTHING you do in SL pictures is real, ffs.  

But how many times has it been said, "behind the avatar is a real.petson with real.feelings" it seems that is said when it is convenient and forgiven when it's not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

Depending on the vape pens, they can be quite dangerous than smoking the actual plant. People have died from "popcorn lungs" due to *****ty vape pens. But unfortunately when it comes to the actual plant, people are growing them with pesticides now, which isn't good for anyone to inhale. Dispensary weed = poison. You have to pay more money for "organic," which is crazy.

Homegrown all the way! xD

I mean the only way it is dangerous, is if there is diacetyl in your vape juice. Whether it be nic salts or a thc vape. Vape juices made without that chemical, do not cause that issue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:

1) Analogies are a thing.

2) You could totally compare mortality rates and expected medical expenses.

Yes, but you are comparing instant injury and death, to injury and death that happens over a period of time. Smoking doesn't instantly kill you, but jumping off a building depending on the height does. You are using an analogy that is totally wrong to the situation. A better one would be, comparing smoking to say that of heroin use. 

2 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

But how many times has it been said, "behind the avatar is a real.petson with real.feelings" it seems that is said when it is convenient and forgiven when it's not.

Yes, but if you don't like the content. You can easily just scroll on by, or if you don't like what you see on the avatar. You can block and derender. There is no need to make a scene. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean the only way it is dangerous, is if there is diacetyl in your vape juice. Whether it be nic salts or a thc vape. Vape juices made without that chemical, do not cause that issue. 

Regardless, I would not ever suggest anyone smoke dispensary marijuana. There is a reason why there is a cancer warning on their labels of the products. Marijuana has always been a therapeutic, it has never previously caused anyone cancer. It has been used as an herbal remedy for centuries. But I could see it actually causing people cancer at this point, what with corrupt companies having their grimey hands all over it.

• Haha 1

Just now, xLunaea said:

Regardless, I would not ever suggest anyone smoke dispensary marijuana. There is a reason why there is a cancer warning on their labels of the products. Marijuana has always been a therapeutic, it has never previously caused anyone cancer. It has been used as an herbal remedy for centuries. But I could see it actually causing people cancer at this point, what with corrupt companies having their grimey hands all over it.

I am not talking about dispensary marijuana, and smoking marijuana is just as bad as smoking. Again, due to the combustibles. That all being said, I think it would be far healthier and wiser to vape it. Making sure the product you get, does not have Diacetyl in it. 

Maters, Mater worms, Taters,Eggplant, Peppers..pretty much anything in the Nightshade family..

Then there is okra cauliflower, some teas and a few others that I forget that are outside the nightshade family

All yummy sources of nicotine.. Well maybe not the Mater worms being so yummy though I guess.. hehehe

They are kind of neat, because when I first seen one , I always wondered what those holes were in their sides..

They shoot out nicotine when something like a bird or whatever is about to eat them..

Caw,CawCaw!! Snatch!

((POOF!))

CAWF,CAWF, CAWF!! as the bird flies away..

hehehe

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I am not talking about dispensary marijuana, and smoking marijuana is just as bad as smoking. Again, due to the combustibles. That all being said, I think it would be far healthier and wiser to vape it. Making sure the product you get, does not have Diacetyl in it. 

Vape pens are also dispensary. And I disagree, it is nowhere near as bad as smoking cigarettes. Everything in moderation though.

Also, how would one know whether it has diacetyl or not?

15 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

People just do not want to take accountability for the fact that their images can have negative repercussions. And by people, I mean that it's mostly women (not to sound sexist but look who is commenting) since we tend to think more emotionally rather than logically when a question is presented to us. Just want to say, there was nothing wrong with your question. It was a good one.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

Vape pens are also dispensary. And I disagree, it is nowhere near as bad as smoking cigarettes. Everything in moderation though.

Also, how would one know whether it has diacetyl or not?

I mean here in Canada, companies have to legally put their ingredients on the item. So I usually just read the side of the bottle to check if it has it. That and I buy from the same company, so I know for sure what I am getting. That being said, everything in moderation as you said. But I feel like moderation is just a fantasy today, and everyone is just a glutton to their addiction. 

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

how the portrayal might affect society

I think it is more than this. Why do you choose that imagery, and what are you trying to say with it? Adding a cigarette to the hand of a villain to make him look evil is one thing, adding one to the hand of a beautiful woman to make her more glamorous is another. Where does your attitude come from? Are you influenced by the marketing of tobacco companies without even realizing it? 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

People just do not want to take accountability for the fact that their images can have negative repercussions. And by people, I mean that it's mostly women (not to sound sexist but look who is commenting) since we tend to think more emotionally rather than logically when a question is presented to us. Just want to say, there was nothing wrong with your question. It was a good one.

But here is the thing, you are not being forced to look at that image. You can just as easily scroll on by, to avoid getting triggered. So the accountability and responsibility doesn't lay on the artist, it is on the viewer. We need to stop putting it on the creator, I mean YouTube is a fine example of that. Creators have to create content that is either family friendly or has some kinda warning of adult content. As somehow they are responsible for their viewers who watch it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

And by people, I mean that it's mostly women (not to sound sexist but look who is commenting) since we tend to think more emotionally rather than logically when a question is presented to us.

I'd say the predominance of women responding has more to do with the ratio of women to men here in the forums.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, xLunaea said:
19 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

The Western world is overly-individualistic and does not want to admit to a connection between self and the rest of society in many cases. It's all about "freedom" and "taking responsibility for self" without any notion that each individual is connected to the whole.

How each person connects to the whole is complex and nuanced, and many just want that simple, black & white answer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.