Smoking: Influencing vs Programmability

Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, xLunaea said:

"But does it help promote the idea that smoking is glamorous and [thus] increase the chance that others might smoke in RL?

And I agree that yes, when someone posts pictures with drugs/alcohol, that can and will influence someone. That is all. This is not about blame or force, but the fact that what others do can lead people into making either good or *****ty decisions.

No one is promoting it, they are using it as a tool to set the mood. Especially when you see most of the pics, are of someone escaping reality, dealing with lots of crap. This helps to portray that, without having to show what they are escaping from or what kinda bad stuff they are dealing with. In any pic I took, that had a cigarette in it. It usually was a dark pic, and it was used to signify escaping from something. So I would assume, that this is what the artist is trying to convey. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

No one is promoting it, they are using it as a tool to set the mood. Especially when you see most of the pics, are of someone escaping reality, dealing with lots of crap. This helps to portray that, without having to show what they are escaping from or what kinda bad stuff they are dealing with. In any pic I took, that had a cigarette in it. It usually was a dark pic, and it was used to signify escaping from something. So I would assume, that this is what the artist is trying to convey. 

You are focusing on a word rather than the bigger picture, and this is why you are missing the point that miss Luna Bliss and I are trying to convey. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, xLunaea said:

You are focusing on a word rather than the bigger picture, and this is why you are missing the point that miss Luna Bliss and I are trying to convey. 

Here is a good example, someone did a picture of them in the hospital a few years back. They were hooked up to IVs and everything, and they had people who clearly cared for them in the picture. I do actually get it, but I also realize that it is not there to promote anything. I realize that there is a deeper meaning, and sometimes a cigarette isn't just a cigarette. There is a much deeper message to get from it. 

24 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Again, why are artists or even YouTube content creators responsible with what they put in their content?

Artists generally are very concerned with their content and how it affects others. Especially great artists are driven by the desire to make the World a better place. Picasso painted Guernica to protest war. Similar feelings led John Lennon to write "Imagine". The notion that artists just create in a vacuum with no regard for anything else is wrong.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayeleeon said:

Artists generally are very concerned with their content and how it affects others. Especially great artists are driven by the desire to make the World a better place. Picasso painted Guernica to protest war. Similar feelings led John Lennon to write "Imagine". The notion that artists just create in a vacuum with no regard for anything else is wrong.

So what should we as the creator put a warning label in our descriptions, telling people that this is harmful and why it is harmful. I feel like this is what you and the two others are saying. Oh if I have cigarette in my picture, I should tell the viewer that harmful effects of smoking and that they shouldn't do it. 

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So what should we as the creator put a warning label in our descriptions, telling people that this is harmful and why it is harmful. I feel like this is what you and the two others are saying. Oh if I have cigarette in my picture, I should tell the viewer that harmful effects of smoking and that they shouldn't do it. 

I am a musician. If I were to create sad, depressing music, I would keep it to myself. Why? Because people could relate to those songs and end up committing suicide. The point is that what you choose to portray will influence someone. No one is saying that you need a warning label.

• Haha 1

Just now, xLunaea said:

I am a musician. If I were to create sad, depressing music, I would keep it to myself. Why? Because people could relate to those songs and end up committing suicide. The point is that what you choose to portray will influence someone. No one is saying that you need a warning label.

So we might as well just not have anything bad in media at all, especially in film, tv shows video games or art. It might just influence someone to do a bad thing. Do you see how moronic that sounds? I do, it is a form of censorship. And there has been tonnes of sad songs out there, and i mean yeah it can influence feelings. But if you have ideations about suicide, maybe you should seek some help. And not blame it on the artist. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So we might as well just not have anything bad in media at all, especially in film, tv shows video games or art. It might just influence someone to do a bad thing. Do you see how moronic that sounds? I do, it is a form of censorship. And there has been tonnes of sad songs out there, and i mean yeah it can influence feelings. But if you have ideations about suicide, maybe you should seek some help. And not blame it on the artist. 

No one is even saying that anything should be censored. In my original post on this thread, I even stated that people's freedom of expression should not be infringed upon. This sounds moronic to you because you already have a bias and refuse to see other people's perspectives.

Edited by xLunaea

5 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

No one is even saying that anything should be censored. In my original post on this thread, I even stated that people's freedom of expression should not be infringed upon. This sounds moronic to you because you already have a bias and refuse to see other people's perspectives. And I do not have any ideations of suicide, my point flew completely over your head. 

I wasn't saying you had ideations of suicide, but if others have ideations. Then maybe they need to get help, you can't blame the song for them committing suicide. I mean that is absolutely absurd. No its the fact that people need to take self accountability for their actions and stop blaming others. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

I wasn't saying you had ideations of suicide, but if others have ideations. Then maybe they need to get help, you can't blame the song for them committing suicide. I mean that is absolutely absurd. No its the fact that people need to take self accountability for their actions and stop blaming others. 

I edited my comment since I realized you did not mean that. Anyway, I think I'm gonna go smoke a blunt now LOL. Have a good one (seriously, not trying to be an ass). xD

46 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

This is basically like those posts about how we should hide sexually explicity images on Flickr, or we should not be taking them. I don't take them. But anything that invokes some sort of negative feelings, seems to get their knickers in a knot and wants it banned or some sort of warning label. Just to protect them. 

I feel like anything that somehow has a negative influence on someone, that they somehow want it to be banned. Instead of scrolling on by and just dealing with it, they want to be coddled and anything bad should be locked away. But somehow word it, to where they somehow think that in their mind, they are not wanting it banned. We are all gonna see negative influences in our life. We just have to deal with it, and not hide it away. Be accountable and responsible for ourselves and stop holding the artists and creators responsible for our own actions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Be accountable and responsible for ourselves

The problem is, many people never taught their children this.  It's far easier to be the victim.  Far easier to blame this or that for why you've done something.  Far easier to shield your children from anything negative.  Far easier to bail them out instead of making them face the consequences of their actions. That is often the most difficult thing for a parent to do.

I remember my father telling me, "Don't ever call me from jail and think I'm going to come bail your a** out.  You do something wrong, you pay the price."  He was a police officer, too.  I've taught my son the same thing and not to blame his actions on anyone or anything else but what they are.  HIS actions.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The infamous example is Nazi propaganda and censorship (aka controlled media and cancel culture).

Yes. Holding people responsible for things they say and do is just like *checks notes* genocide, forced labor, and waging war on an entire continent. 

Jesus Christ.

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Be accountable and responsible for ourselves

This is true, but it is a two way street, the artist also needs to be responsible, he or she cannot say "my viewers need to be responsible so I don't have to be."

• Confused 3

I already said that I don't support censorship, nor that content needs a warning label (as did others.) I can take accountability for the fact that my content can influence people into making choices, whether that is on SL or other apps. I can also realize that other people's content can influence me into making choices, and I do take accountability for that as well.

The question was, "does it...increase the chance that others might smoke in RL?" Yes, it does, and that doesn't mean that we are not taking accountability for our actions. It is called being self-aware, and not having an ego. It has nothing to do with blame, nor victimhood. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.