Use of Tip Jars

Chloe Bunny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just saw a tip jar placed out when flying around Bellisseria - accepting lindens - it was a Halloween themed house. It all seems innocent enough to the decorator I am sure but to my mind the placing out of a tip jar, (donations), is commercial activity - can someone clarify? 

• Like 1

from the Bellisseria Linden Homes 2 covenant

== Linden Home Restrictions ==

*Activities and items that could be construed by Linden Lab as commercial and for profit are not permitted in the residential homes and houseboats in Bellisseria.

tip jars are construed by Linden as a for profit activity

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Chloe Bunny said:

Thanks - I personally construe tip jars as commercial as you are receiving money from others on your land I just did not see any mention of donations or tips specifically in the covenant as is. 

the original Linden Homes covenant (which is still accessible on the Linden Knowledge Base and shouldn't be) used to say

Business use of any kind is prohibited, including parcel rental, rental boxes, classified ads or other forms of advertising, and event listings. 

which doesn't specifically mention tip jars as it does other things

and I think (not exactly sure) that some Linden Homes regions still have the old covenant in the parcels About Land and if so then it can lead to confusion for the home owner

e.g. Tip jar is not a business use in my case. I think of it more as a voluntary expression of appreciation, like a charitable use 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Charities are still businesses. They have a special classification for being non-profit but they are still a business. I've always seen a tip jar as a means to obtaining income. Thus IMO disqualifies its use in any Linden Home, whether it is located in the old LH continents or in Bellisseria.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get asked this often and post this under our application information for the Parade of Homes listing. Tip Jars or Donations Jars are not allowed in Bellisseria. Also, links on an item to your Marketplace Store, not allowed (for profit). Bellisseria is non-profit and thus anything at your home parcel must follow under those terms.  If you see a Tip or Donation Jar located at someone's Bellisseria home, it should be AR'd, but it is up to the person seeing this to take action or not.  i.e.  I'm not sure why these specifically pointed out things have been removed (the language) from the Bellisseria Covenant, leaving more to interpretation and confusion.

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is commercial activity going on all over Bellisseria, GTFO is allowed to advertise as well as have hubs, they are a for profit group.  Their owner makes a profit from people participating, period.  People are using their homes as clubs, complete with tip jars.  We have AR'ed many times about advertising, commercial use, building out of theme, skyboxes and platforms much lower than 2000, etc.  Nothing is done.  Enjoy your home now, it is on its way to becoming exactly like the old LL homes that are now no better than mainland.  Rules/covenants are meant to be followed or it turns into trash.  Not sure why commercial activity is allowed for some and not everyone else.  I think the stores and creators should consider setting up shop in Belli too, mush cheaper than buying or renting land and obviously its okay now.  

• Sad 1

I would love to see a designated area of shops in Bellisseria that are well managed or maybe a monthly market or something like that - just in one designated area - I guess it is very difficult to keep tabs on what individuals might do if this was introduced but I would love a commercial zone with approved stores.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe Bunny said:

I would love to see a designated area of shops in Bellisseria that are well managed or maybe a monthly market or something like that - just in one designated area - I guess it is very difficult to keep tabs on what individuals might do if this was introduced but I would love a commercial zone with approved stores.

I remember many others has asked about the same. First I was all for it, but I have changed my opinion. A designated area is not enough. It would be confusing, people would try to use homes close to it as stores, and people would say why not here, if it is allowed there?

It need another name than Bellisseria, and be kept away from residential homes. And then, would it be different from other shopping districts?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I remember many others has asked about the same. First I was all for it, but I have changed my opinion. A designated area is not enough. It would be confusing, people would try to use homes close to it as stores, and people would say why not here, if it is allowed there?

It need another name than Bellisseria, and be kept away from residential homes. And then, would it be different from other shopping districts?

I can agree with you on the enforcement issues because I don't see that there would be enough resources to cover it to ensure it didn't spoil - shame though!

• Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 2:33 AM, Chloe Bunny said:

I just saw a tip jar placed out when flying around Bellisseria - accepting lindens - it was a Halloween themed house. It all seems innocent enough to the decorator I am sure but to my mind the placing out of a tip jar, (donations), is commercial activity - can someone clarify? 

Hi there, Chloe. I am the facilitator for BEE. Which is the Bellisseria Entertainers and Events group for the community. We are essentially a group of DJ's that play the big Fairground events, some of the local music venues as well as some of the public spaces around the continent. And it has always been our rule and understanding that the DJ's can certainly accept tips but they are sent directly and as nothing more than a gratuity. BEE DJ's are never, under any circumstances, allowed to use tip jars or even hint at wanting/getting tipped. I have however, heard of independant DJ's doing this from time to time. 

I do not believe that a tip or a cash gift, as in I send you 1000L because it is your birthday and I want to treat a friend, is considered in any way, a commercial activity. But a tip jar or a sign, let's say, that is directly linking you to pay and then receive some type of exchange for that, is certainly against the TOS and not allowed in Bellisseria. @Abnor Mole Can you clarify this last bit please? 

Edited by KrystalKandy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Wait.  This means I can't use my Belli cabin to tie my paypi- err, I mean, um, hang Halloween decorations from the rafters?  I gotta give the money back?

And I also need to knock down the secret tunnel that links directly from my home to my paypal account...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.