The England-Italy Euro 2020 Final!

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tonight at 8pm UK time, England will play Italy in the Euro 2020 final! I think this game would have been a bigger deal if we hadn't gone through a year and a half of Covid 9_9

This is our first major final since 1966! :o Normally we don't get this far...and it will be tough because Italy are excellent. Boris Johnson said we would get a national holiday if England wins, which is the only sane thing he's ever said!

But who are you supporting? Shout out to Garnet, Amina, Coffee, Horus, Paul, Phil and all SL England fam :x (actually Horus might be Welsh, I can't remember! No offence!)

Well obviously I'm supporting the Lions! But it'll be a great game whatever happens, and if we lose, we were beaten by the best. The team has made history by getting to the final.

I'm really appalled by the behaviour of a minority of fans. I don't know why football attracts these people more than other sports. They need to eff off into the sea. And I hope whoever shone that laser at the Danish goalkeeper is found and done for assault. 

This song is underrated.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
Typo. I'm not even drunk yet.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Did you know that a couple of guys from Blur were involved in this song? And they actually filmed it on the same street as the Bittersweet Symphony video that it's parodying? And it got criticised for sounding too much like a hooligan anthem even though that was the entire point? 

I just love it even more now. Made as a piss take, yet genuinely uplifting and adopted as a real football anthem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Did you know that a couple of guys from Blur were involved in this song? And they actually filmed it on the same street as the Bittersweet Symphony video that it's parodying? And it got criticised for sounding too much like a hooligan anthem even though that was the entire point? 

I just love it even more now. Made as a piss take, yet genuinely uplifting and adopted as a real football anthem.

I knew the video was a Verve piss-take but didn't know the Blur connection!

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

@Amina SopwithYour post is why we need the 😍 reply

I think the bad behaviour is just a minority. Ironically the only match I've been to was Millwall, and everyone was really friendly and nice! 

Had never heard that song before, lol. 

I went to school with someone who is now a League One (Division Three, whatever, I can't keep up) footballer and has played for a number of well known teams. He was always very talented athletically and really, really passionate about football. We were all so delighted that he became a professional footballer and not an insurance salesman or something. 

He's very private and quiet on social media, but he's made numerous public statements against racism and hooliganism in football. He was always a nice kid in school too. I was absolutely crap at anything athletic and he used to give me pointers.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I was absolutely crap at anything athletic

Hehe...me too. Though I did enjoy swimming 🐟

It's weird about football...before the pandemic two people were having a joke argument in our office about football vs rugby, and the rugby fan said "At least I can stand with the away fans and not get smacked in the face!" 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Hehe...me too. Though I did enjoy swimming 🐟

It's weird about football...before the pandemic two people were having a joke argument in our office about football vs rugby, and the rugby fan said "At least I can stand with the away fans and not get smacked in the face!" 

They say football is a gentleman's game played by thugs, and rugby is a thugs' game played by gentlemen...

It really is a shame that this happens.

• Like 2

Half Italian here but 1/4 English and Dutch I think I’ll have to go with Italy! 😂🇮🇹
My husband is English but we’ll get over our differences haha 😆
I think it will be a great game regardless, I’m not a football fan but I do enjoy great sportsmanship… this Euro Cup surely showed plenty of that from every team! 👏

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

It's weird about football...before the pandemic two people were having a joke argument in our office about football vs rugby

I've watched a few rugby union games with a friend recently and I've come to the conclusion that, for excitement, it's R.U. (not league), and, for skill, it's football. But there isn't really much excitement in rugby unless the teams are reasonably closely matched, such as in the 6 Nations. Some very recent R.U. England matches haven't been worth watching for me because of the huge differences in skill between the teams.

I'll be watching tonight's Euro Final and I'll make the same prediction that I've made for each of England's knockout matches so far; that is England will lose. I want us (England) to win, of course, but why abandon a prediction formula that's worked perfectly so far? :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Fundraiser Has Been Set Up For Young Crying German Supporter

We don't deserve to take part. English football culture walks hand in hand with the very worst aspects of alcohol fueled nationalism.

Oh, some of the responses to that were beyond disgraceful. But there was also this, which I do think captures far more of the public mood than those turboturds who thought attacking a child on the internet was well hard.

Italy had the best football of the two during the whole tournament.
The way England won from Denmark in the semi finals was with poor football at best. And with the help of a Dutch referee and VAR with eyesight problems at a the wrong moment.

So I hope that Italy will win. They deserve it most IMHO.
But England has a huge home advantage with all those England supporters singing and shouting their harts out.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

He say both sides is big on simulation "pretend to be fouled" and trip over their own feet in hope to gain free kicks or penalty kicks.

ALL footballers try to cheat. They claim throw-ins when they know it's not theirs, many 'dive' as you said, most claim (with their hands) that they didn't foul the other player, and most claim that they got the ball when they know they didn't. If you can find a footballer who doesn't try to cheat, you've found a rare thing indeed.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I'm not so interested in football, but I think I will hear some shouting from hubby's chair. 😁

But he does not like either team. He say both sides is big on simulation "pretend to be fouled" and trip over their own feet in hope to gain free kicks or penalty kicks.

Screenshot_20210711-171327_WhatsApp.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Just saw some of the pre-match coverage on BBC.

Masses of people congregating without masks or social distancing - and no comment on that from the BBC. At a time when daily new infections have almost reached the highest levels seen in the pandemic in the UK...

Sometimes I wonder whether I am the crazy one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emma Krokus said:

Just saw some of the pre-match coverage on BBC.

Masses of people congregating without masks or social distancing - and no comment on that from the BBC. At a time when daily new infections have almost reached the highest levels seen in the pandemic in the UK...

Sometimes I wonder whether I am the crazy one.

It's not you...I've just seen footage from this afternoon - some of the fans have trashed Leicester Square, throwing bottles and smashing windows 😡

I do worry about anyone who gets caught up in it later tonight...sadly though, I am quite used now to people gathering without masks. 

Oh well 😐

Edited by Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.