Flexi hair. Yes or no ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I sometimes use it, but I am cheap and I can usually find it for free.  I think mesh hair looks gorgeous, and I use that too, but there are only so many available for free and sometimes I can't resize them to fit my mesh Ruth avatar.  For my pixie avatar, it is mostly all flexi hair though because I can easily resize it, and I think it looks fantastic :)

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But actually, I agree, in a sort of general way.

The best mesh hair these days has anything older than a couple of years beat hands down in terms of quality of texturing. But I do have a couple of mesh styles (short cuts) with bits of mesh to add some movement, and they look great I think.

And I'll still occasionally run across something made with prims and sculpties that is a marvel of creativity and detail. I certainly miss the days of really digging into building in-world.

That's the one downside to mesh.  Before, when it was all prims and sculpties, your average SL user could build something without an external program.  I do miss that at times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I give it a year to a year and a half before they figure out how to combine mesh and flexi.

I would like that, a lot.

Many of my styles are chosen with still photography in mind anyway, so texturing and detail is more important than movement, but I DO go dancing a lot, and a touch of flexi add a LOT to the visual experience. But, of course, it has to be done in such a way that you don't have your ponytail swinging through your head.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

I think the only use it has now is for pics. @Janet Voxel That IS a great pic. I just think for walking around it looks weird and glitchy. 

Thank you!

And I agree! Sometimes depending on how its done, it looks weird when you cam around it, especially if its its like hair cards of flexi. I think we've become so accustomed to zooming in on objects and scrutinizing minute details that we forget that everything doesn't look perfect when you look hard enough.

But it definitely has its place and isn't gone from SL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Dress the way you like, wear whatever you desire.
Who cares what others say, wear or think you should wear.

Except that there are now sims which ban avatars from entering if they don't have mesh, so people who want to go where they choose have no choice but to follow other people's ideas of what they should look like.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I certainly miss the days of really digging into building in-world.

Out of curiousity, what's stopping you? I'm still banging the prims together on a swathe of green, not stuck in the dark grey poorly-lit cubicle that is called Blender.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Except that there are now sims which ban avatars from entering if they don't have mesh, so people who want to to where they choose have no choice but to follow other people's ideas of what they should look like.

Those are exactly the sims where I really really really don't want to be then.
What an immature people there then.
I left high school more than 45 years ago.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

What a immature people there then.

Its not immature to demand quality. Plus its their sim and their rules. You aint paying their bills. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Except that there are now sims which ban avatars from entering if they don't have mesh, so people who want to go where they choose have no choice but to follow other people's ideas of what they should look like.

Yes and these same places did much the same for every superficial change that came down the pipeline.

Looks are not the end all, be all and while some of the older avatar components and such do look incredibly out of place/dated these days ... others do not.

What a immature people there then.

The thing is with that approach, you're rationalising why you don't want to go there, so underneath it is the fact that you *do* want to go there, but....

One particular region I'd like to go back to sometimes is actually quite amusing in that it was founded and run for some time by somebody who had the tattiest old avatar I've ever seen, but she had built and was running a great place. And now I think back, she had flexi hair that sort of reminded me of the gorgon's head.

Now there's a thought, does anybody do tentacle-hair?

@Chris Nova Still. I really really really don't want to mingle with those narrow minded people.
They may do whatever they want with their land, sure.
I may do whatever I want with my SL.
And if these two things don't match.... kudos for them. Nice not knowing them any further than.
The town is big enough for the both of us.
Thousands of other sims to hang out in.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

Still really really really don't want to mingle with those narrow minded people.
They may do whatever they want with their land, sure.
I may do whatever I want with my SL.
And if these two things don't match.... kudos for them. Nice not knowing them any further than.

We arent all like that. When I had my sim open to the public, it was open to everyone. Even furries lol. I have my own opinions on the default avatars but I wont exclude them from my sim. Thats nonsense. 

• Like 1

Point is, I have tried several times to build a Sid Nagy with mesh demo's that would be acceptable for me.
Never worked. I'm probably to stupid to handle those hud's and incrowd technical terms or I'm not interested enough or both.
Last efforts are all in the bin again.
So... The Nagy is still a classic and as it looks right now will be for a long time to come.

Edited by Sid Nagy

19 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Out of curiousity, what's stopping you? I'm still banging the prims together on a swathe of green, not stuck in the dark grey poorly-lit cubicle that is called Blender.

Oh, nothing. And I do, on a much smaller scale than before. I build for photo backdrops, and for exhibitions.

For photos, I've built a Metropolis-themed club, an art deco office, and a film noir detective's office. Although I use a mix of prims, sculpties, and bought mesh pieces for most of those. It's still fun . . . but probably the biggest issue is that building something detailed using prims is MUCH more LI heavy than a well-made mesh equivalent

Just now, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

My mistake, I forgot to leave a hint that I was tongue-in-cheek

And it was whole-body flexi fur I had in mind, not just tails. Think of the fun you could have rubbing them up the wrong way @)

Heh, I got both bits there. Just felt like clearing it up in case someone actually did wonder!

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

but probably the biggest issue is that building something detailed using prims is MUCH more LI heavy than a well-made mesh equivalent

That's where things like mesh-generator and the other in-worrld converters score, get your build just how you want it in prims, textures as efficiently as you can, then mesh it, either all of it or else sub-components.

I suppose the next step is going to be animesh hair that detects the wind in a region and the avatar's orientation and whirls it around...

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

Ceka 2008

" I'll always be this amazing hawtliciousness even years from now, as long as I never lose dis hair"

2275707606_01f48c4411_o.jpg

Ceka 2021 contacting Ceka 2008

" Your flexi is really an alien squidster and eating your brain, Take it off!!\o/ "

Signed future Ceka nonflexi.

50731271753_97ea9274ca.jpg

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ceka 2008

" I'll always be this amazing hawtliciousness even years from now, as long as I never lose dis hair"

2275707606_01f48c4411_o.jpg

Ceka 2021 contacting Ceka 2008

" Your flexi is really an alien squidster and eating your brain, Take it off!!\o/ "

Signed future Ceka nonflexi.

50731271753_97ea9274ca.jpg

hehehe

I know old Ceka wants this one.

A&A Minerva Hair Chocolate-pic.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.