i'm looking for designer stuff

mistrestorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unless Chanel, Gucci and such actually create content for SL, using their brands is expressly forbidden by the TOS and international copyright law. 

The best that you can hope for is to find something that LOOKS like these designer brands, but is branded differently.

The TOS says "Linden Lab responds to complaints that content infringes trademarked or celebrity material. Trademarked material includes trademarked logos, trademarked brand names, and trade dress, which is the distinctive visual appearance of a product or its packaging.

It is often difficult to tell what may or may not be trademarked or protected as trade dress. However, use of designer logos and brand names without permission, such as Gucci, Nike, Louis Vuiton, etc., is usually not acceptable. If you don't have permission, please don't just use a misspelling of the brand name, for example, "Njke" instead of "Nike" – instead, create your own original brand name that's associated uniquely with you!

If you're creating objects inspired by real-world objects, take care that your objects have an original appearance and shape. That's the best way to avoid trade dress issues. Be wary of imitating distinctive and recognizable product appearances. For example, the well-known appearance of the Eames lounge chair and ottoman from Herman Miller is protected under trade dress law."

See also http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Intellectual_Property

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mistrestorm said:

Okay thanks i didn’t know

Yeah... it kinda sucks.Even worse there have been times when the Lab would go through and purge all infringing items from the system. So it poofs out of your inventory. That only has to happen once and you learn to avoid buying knockoffs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mistrestorm said:

I’m new to secondlife and people learn by experience not by memorizing guidelines, also on Youtube i saw a person with a “designer bag” and the exact same bag doesn’t exist in real life but the print is really similar.

as i said ... it sounds hard , but it's true, you need to read the TOS before entering, and not just click "agree"... don't shoot the messenger but your own hurry to get in the world of SL.
And it's not different to RL ...copied stuff is illegal.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mistrestorm said:

I’m new to secondlife and people learn by experience not by memorizing guidelines, also on Youtube i saw a person with a “designer bag” and the exact same bag doesn’t exist in real life but the print is really similar.

You can find cool stuff by using the blog Seraphimsl. It is a "must" to keep informed about sales and events.

https://www.seraphimsl.com/ I always look at the Weekend sales, and I often find items there that look like RL stuff. "Like" is the thing here, not "copy". It is also a way to find new, cheap stuff. (I shop too much when it is sales) 🤭

Last weeks offers here. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=Access.SecondLife&set=a.4186617158070678

Look next Saturday they put them up then.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

You can find cool stuff by using the blog Seraphimsl. It is a "must" to keep informed about sales and events.

https://www.seraphimsl.com/ I always look at the Weekend sales, and I often find items there that look like RL stuff. "Like" is the thing here, not "copy". It is also a way to find new, cheap stuff. (I shop too much when it is sales) 🤭

Last weeks offers here. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=Access.SecondLife&set=a.4186617158070678

Look next Saturday they put them up then.

I will check this out thank you

There is one “designer” on SL who is guilty of blatantly reproducing RL high-end brands in SL complete with the exact same names, logos, and designs. I am astonished as to how they are still on SL despite the reports. What makes it worse is that their mesh and textures are so poorly executed it makes those brands look like something you can buy from Ross. I am not saying this out of personal vendetta because they bashed and blocked me when I called them out on it but please do not support creators with serious copyright/copybot and trademark offenses. It is not only illegal but heinously tacky.

Warning aside, if you like haute looking items especially bags inspired by (not outright copybotted) luxury labels, I recommend Vive Nine, DDL, MONCADA Paris, Rowne, Clef de Peau, Jacobs, Salvadori, BETRAYAL, MOGUL x Plush Studios. I personally like them and I know some of them participate in weekend sales.

EDITED to add landmark to Tres Chic event: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nika/104/139/22 - some nice luxury looking items here

Edited by Yuumo Ichibara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

I am astonished as to how they are still on SL despite the reports.

LL don't tend to care too much about user reports of these things. There's no shortage of pirated stuff on the grid, lots of game assets just ripped from various AAA games, often sold with their original name (there even was a statue from Skyrim at an event that opened the other day - and I've seen that exact statue in several other stores before). It's the same thing with assets nicked off of Turbosquid and similar sites for selling game assets (which is against their ToS). If it's a free-for-all to go around reporting 'I think I saw this bench in this game' or 'this sneaker looks a whole lot like a Converse', they'd be absolutely swamped.

The only time LL must react (or rather, 'must react unless they want to risk getting sued'), is when the actual copyright holder, or their representative, files a proper DMCA notice. This notice will target LL as the platform provider rather than the individual, and it is LL's responsibility to remove the content specified by the DMCA.

It is then LL's choice of what to do with the offender; the TOS does point out that pirating stuff isn't cool, and you may well get yourself banned if you do. Whilst it's in LL's interest to remove some obvious offenders and prune the market a bit here and there, actually monitoring everything that's uploaded into SL and figuring out whether it's an original creation or if it's a copyright infringement is next to impossible.

9 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

There is one “designer” on SL who is guilty of blatantly reproducing RL high-end brands in SL complete with the exact same names, logos, and designs. I am astonished as to how they are still on SL despite the reports. What makes it worse is that their mesh and textures are so poorly executed it makes those brands look like something you can buy from Ross. I am not saying this out of personal vendetta because they bashed and blocked me when I called them out on it but please do not support creators with serious copyright/copybot and trademark offenses. It is not only illegal but heinously tacky.

Warning aside, if you like haute looking items especially bags inspired by (not outright copybotted) luxury labels, I recommend Vive Nine, DDL, MONCADA Paris, Rowne, Clef de Peau, Jacobs, Salvadori, BETRAYAL, MOGUL x Plush Studios. I personally like them and I know some of them participate in weekend sales.

EDITED to add landmark to Tres Chic event: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nika/104/139/22 - some nice luxury looking items here

I know who you mean. I'm always shocked this has managed to continue. Vuitton too large to care about a virtual knock-off I'd guess.

A good way to get more haute couture looks, is to buy pieces from several designers based on the RL ones you like.

Lots of interesting designers such as Mimikri, United Colors, Bauhaus Pixiecat, Amias, Asteroid Box and Coco have more unique looking clothing and accessories which will mix and match well with others. Finding good basics to layer (BOM tights/t-shirts) are excellent at pulling a look together with other pieces. 

Find a few that feel like "your look" and go from there. For me the real fun is mix and match.

• Like 2

I suspect we will see more brand enforcement activity in this area as the "non-fungible token" crowd gets more branded "rares" sold in virtual world.

Vogue Business reports that Gucci is getting into having a presence in games.

Until recently, there was no money in it. So many brands didn't care. Also, there was a court decision in Europe that Ducati's trademarks for real-world bikes did not extend to video games. Ducati then came out with their own racing game, so they could hold a trademark in that category. Nike now has their shoes in Fortnite. You have to have a product in a category to have a trademark in that category.

Someone might pitch to Gucci's and Chanel's legal departments that they should have a few items in SL stores. That meets the "use in commerce" requirement, so they can then add the computer entertainment trademark category to their trademark.

Copyright is a separate issue.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I know who you mean. I'm always shocked this has managed to continue. Vuitton too large to care about a virtual knock-off I'd guess.

If you are an insatiable shopper and follower of many fashion bloggers, yes, you know who I am talking about. That brand is notorious for pulling the race card and shoving BLM into their detractors and stalking/lambasting them on social media (SL/RL) every time someone notices or speaks up about their brazen BS. So classy! :rollseyes:

BUT ANYWAY moving on... I’m glad that you mentioned Mimikri, Bauhaus, and Pixicat; I love them too because they have many pieces that resemble VOGUE or Harper’s Bazaar. DIRAM also comes to mind, they have a lot of outfits that work well for runway, glamour, and editorial photoshoots. Some of their items are not well rigged so demo, demo, demo.

RIZZI, the 5-star hotel has their own small collection called RIZZI RESORT that carries dresses, shoes, and bags that are inspired by Gucci. I like their humorous satirical take on the puffer coat. You can visit the store at their lobby in-world: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Soft Voices/178/98/29

Edited by Yuumo Ichibara
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, Yuumo Ichibara said:

Thank youu

On 4/6/2021 at 10:12 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

Yes i did read it

Yeah, right.....
You would be the only one in the history of SL.

A TOS is there to agree upon, not to read it.
People search in it at best, when they are in doubt about something.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Yeah, right.....
You would be the only one in the history of SL.

A TOS is there to agree upon, not to read it.
People search in it at best, when they are in doubt about something.

I read it as well.. When you want to sell items within a platform you read the ToS fully to see what you need to do to CYA. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.