Second life Mobile 2021?

WinTrain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let’s talk SL mobile for iPhone. MetaChat has long been bad and not very good, however Android has had Lumyia for many years and you can still get it today although it’s off the App Store. I was following the updates for mobile but where do we stand? Is there a chance Linden Labs will put out an app this year? I heard they submitted an app to Apple store and got declined and then had to change things but that was over a year ago at this juncture.  I wished we could have an official word from the Lindens on when we can get the companion app. Any ideas? Is there anything other than MetaChat for IPhone? 

3 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

There is https://speedlight.io/ which not only runs in your web browser on your PC, but it's also available on Google Play and in the Apple app store.

Speedlight in the Apple App Store

Speedlight on Google Play

Speedlight  on iPhone is over $23 dollars to buy the app. Also I tested it when it was free and it’s the most buggy and awful app for second life mobile. Complete garbage and crashes and also the reviews all agree. MetaChat is somewhat ok tho it still force closes and freezes up as it has been for many years now. Sparkle was the only good SL app for iPhone. Going back to speedlight, 23 dollars wow, wonder what made these developers think jacking it up that high is a good idea? No one is going to buy it.  I miss Sparkle. Hopefully the lindens speak soon on the companion app progress, I hope we see an app by the summer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WinTrain said:

Let’s talk SL mobile for iPhone. MetaChat has long been bad and not very good, however Android has had Lumyia for many years and you can still get it today although it’s off the App Store. I was following the updates for mobile but where do we stand? Is there a chance Linden Labs will put out an app this year? I heard they submitted an app to Apple store and got declined and then had to change things but that was over a year ago at this juncture.  I wished we could have an official word from the Lindens on when we can get the companion app. Any ideas? Is there anything other than MetaChat for IPhone? 

There is a mobile section of the forum here https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/359-mobile/  that is supposed to be for that purpose. Check the posts by Keira Linden in this thread to see the official word on the status of the projects. There is also inworld meetings here where little tidbit updates are sometimes mentioned.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There is a mobile section of the forum here  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/359-mobile/   that is supposed to be for that purpose. Check the posts by Keira Linden in this thread to see the official word on the status of the projects. There is also inworld meetings here  where little tidbit updates are sometimes mentioned.

This is the general area in the mobile area for people  to ask about things.   if they are like me they see a topic that's not been posted into in ages, they are not going to bump it.     so sometimes it's just easier to make new ones, I like new ones the best, instead of bringing up things months old

Linden Lab has announced in late 2020 they are currently working on an IOS official Second Life App once they monitor IOS they can do Android, it will NOT have the virtual 3d interface, but users can manage their group, their ims, inbox, secondlife marketplace, listings they are working on it please watch Lab Gab episodes on Second Life official Youtube channel to know more about what Linden Lab is actually doing ! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bollycoco Dallas said:

Linden Lab has announced in late 2020 they are currently working on an IOS official Second Life App once they monitor IOS they can do Android, it will NOT have the virtual 3d interface, but users can manage their group, their ims, inbox, secondlife marketplace, listings they are working on it please watch Lab Gab episodes on Second Life official Youtube channel to know more about what Linden Lab is actually doing ! 

As far as I know this will be a kind of "chat" client. You will be able to access IMs but you won't be online anywhere in world. I mean, you login to Second Life but do not connect to any sim (staying "in space").

Actually, during the early development of SpeedLight, I was going to concentrate on IM/chats as well - a kind of web text client for Second Life. But it turned out that residents do want to be online, fully rezzed and visible in world. That's why we've started adding 3D.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, WinTrain said:

Also I tested it when it was free and it’s the most buggy and awful app for second life mobile. Complete garbage and crashes and also the reviews all agree

Really sorry to hear you had the bad experience with SpeedLight. However, we fix bugs every week; probably you could give us a chance.

SpeedLight IMs, chats and groups usually work like a charm: about a thousand of residents use SpeedLight regularly. The most complex and troublesome part is 3D view: we put a lot of efforts there, there's still a lot of issues and lot things to do.

However, we've recently managed to display avatars in mobile and web (still in development): 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Bollycoco Dallas said:

Linden Lab has announced in late 2020 they are currently working on an IOS official Second Life App once they monitor IOS they can do Android

To be more specific, after https://modemworld.me/2020/10/08/october-2020-wug-summary-with-sl-mobile-news/ :

- The iOS version of the mobile client was submitted to Apple for review – and was rejected. LL is currently working to address the issues as a part of Apple’s review.
- Once this has been done, the app will again go through LL’s QA process and then be re-submitted to Apple for evaluation / App Store listing,
- The version currently remains available to those on the closed Alpha only.
- Interestingly, the Lab’s data suggests to them that the number of users with iOS is slightly greater than those with Android, although it’s not clear had this data is derived.

- The android version is still being developed, but remains “some way” behind the iOS version.
- Currently it is not ready for any user-based testing.

• Like 1

Thank you so its still very close to what has been announced in the Lab Gab episode before they even started this project, very good to know hopefully the new version will pass the Apple review.
 I'm on Android I dont mind waiting, once the official Second Life app is there its there its not moving anywhere.

Yet I do not understand how avatars can even fantasize to see their avatars fully 3d rendered in a phone, do they know that our bento bodies and bento heads and accessories all type of mesh contet DEFIES the law of polys and optimization and could litterally make our phone explode that's nonsense, as long as the items we wear on our avatars are highly dangerous for such a tiny device tousand times weaker than a computer no way, most designers are not even professional 3D content creator that followed studies there's so much dangerous content going on that makes our computers overheat, not even thinking about last iphone or samsung tell me if i'm wrong open to discussion !
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bollycoco Dallas said:

Yet I do not understand how avatars can even fantasize to see their avatars fully 3d rendered in a phone, do they know that our bento bodies and bento heads and accessories all type of mesh contet DEFIES the law of polys and optimization and could litterally make our phone explode that's nonsense

Yes, this is the biggest problem, a lot of avatars are too complex to even render in static. And animating them is a nightmare for a mobile device.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

Really sorry to hear you had the bad experience with SpeedLight. However, we fix bugs every week; probably you could give us a chance.

SpeedLight IMs, chats and groups usually work like a charm: about a thousand of residents use SpeedLight regularly. The most complex and troublesome part is 3D view: we put a lot of efforts there, there's still a lot of issues and lot things to do.

However, we've recently managed to display avatars in mobile and web (still in development): 

I don’t care for 3D. All I want is just a app to IM people online. However it is cool you are working on 3D. All I wish is for a app to run in the background on iPhone without logging you off, to check and send IMs. Inventory for  is good too. I remember downloading speedlight previously when I had a android and seen boxes for avatars. So  I can say at least you are trying compared to MetaChat which seems like it has been the same for many years now. Either way, hopefully your app gets better before the lindens put out their version. 

8 hours ago, Bollycoco Dallas said:

Yet I do not understand how avatars can even fantasize to see their avatars fully 3d rendered in a phone, do they know that our bento bodies and bento heads and accessories all type of mesh contet DEFIES the law of polys and optimization and could litterally make our phone explode that's nonsense, as long as the items we wear on our avatars are highly dangerous for such a tiny device tousand times weaker than a computer no way, most designers are not even professional 3D content creator that followed studies there's so much dangerous content going on that makes our computers overheat, not even thinking about last iphone or samsung tell me if i'm wrong open to discussion !

You obviously have not tried the Android Lumiya viewer that has been capable of rendering the inworld scene including bento mesh avatars on phones for the past 7-8 years. Updates unfortunately stopped in 2017 when the developer went missing however had she continued development, I have no doubt it would have been quite capable of rendering even the BoM avatars we have today. The point here is that Android phones and tablets have been proven to be capable. More and more people are using these tiny devices as desktop replacements and is why there is an increasing focus by game developers on making their products for the Android platform. The Lab is foregoing a large segment of the market by not putting a lot more time and focus on an Android capable viewer that at the least would be on par with what Lumiya has been able to do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The Lab is foregoing a large segment of the market by not putting a lot more time and focus on an Android capable viewer that at the least would be on par with what Lumiya has been able to do. 

By all means, feel free to create an Android viewer of your own

• Haha 1

I asked the lab about more details about the upcoming launch of the mobile app via Twitter and here is their response. I would imagine we will know more before Easter unless the development has been delayed or something. 

Hello Daniel. Please keep an eye on the Mobile section of the Second Life Community Forums for all and any updates about the mobile app. You can also ask your questions there and the mobile team will respond with any updates. Thank you.

- 26th January 2021

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Was Lumya doing any of the rendering on the phone itself at all?

It does seem like it, check https://modemworld.me/2012/10/08/lumiya-2-3-1-avatars-animations-outfits-and-more/

This is the most visible change to Lumiya with this release. Whereas previous versions only generated a greyed-out male avatar form, this version aims to render recognisable avatars and provide them with a decent walk animation. Now, the results aren’t 100% like-for-like with avatar rendering in a full viewer – and in fairness, you shouldn’t expect this to be the case. Even so, what is offered is really remarkable, and adds a huge depth to Lumiya in terms of offering mobile access to SL and OpenSim.

Lumiya is doing a lot of work for an app designed to run on a mobile device  / tablet. As such, don’t expect performance to match a standard viewer when on a wifi connection. That said, as I’ve commented on my previous Lumiya reviews, this doesn’t mean it is a slouch. While there can be pauses when handling large updates, it still runs more that comfortably on my Galaxy S2, and others have reported it runs at least as well on a number of other modern phones. Rendering is not that slow (avatars can take time to load, and this does admittedly take time in a crowded location), but on a wifi connection, it is still possible to use Lumiya with ease and see people, chat, move around and interact.

Edited by panterapolnocy

Lumya I have definately tried it back in time, with a pretty powerful samsung at that time I took with all mighty all the 4G internet speed to render just one avatar I would have to wait a good ten minutes, when my i7 and RTX loads in less than a minute with just 11MB internet not even on cable but WIFI. It's a joke really how Lumya would even render my house I remember everything was grey moving was a pain changing just a top was excessively long 10minutes for a top, what about the rest. Why because its just not optimized and let's not forget the heat of my android smartphone.

Maybe you rendered yourself as a system avatar but mesh, its just out of question for Lumya you can sit and watch a movie while your smartphone battles the law of rendering to produce a proper scene. The best experience that was ever done was SL GO, on tablet it was amazing, Second Life for 5$ per month was streamed on your own tablet in Ultra mode, it just didnt sticked for so long but it was probably the BEST attempt of Second Life to give us the virtual scene in a tablet yet they streamed it so the tablet wont have to render anything. 

An article by Daniel Voyager on SL GO https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/the-launch-of-sl-go-mobile-app/

And many others like Draxtor have videos of it, it was insanely ULTRA graphics on Android devices for 5$ per month, Lumya who ?

Edited by Bollycoco Dallas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 11:36 AM, Fritigern Gothly said:

There is https://speedlight.io/ which not only runs in your web browser on your PC, but it's also available on Google Play and in the Apple app store.

Speedlight in the Apple App Store

Speedlight on Google Play

I have been using SpeedLight in both my iPad Pro and my iPhone for about a month now, and I must say that I am pretty much satisfied. It will depend on which usage each of us does of their SL for sure, and you have to keep in mind that SpeedLight is a W-I-P kinda thing. But overall, and as a change from computer-only-SL to mobility-allowed-SL, I find that SpeedLight does most of the job for me - I’d add a couple things to it, and have by now told the developer. I have not tried Lumiya, as I am an Apple user, but I would recommend SpeedLight.

Just hope this is helpful. Have a great day!

• Like 1

Let's be realistic. SL will never be on a mobile phone with the 3D environment, as long as phones can't run Crysis in 120fps. Without any limits on meshes and as long as "famous big brands" upload shoes with 150k polygon count and 500mb textures it's just technically impossible.

Edited by Tonk Tomcat
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.