Second life Mobile 2021?

WinTrain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 11:50 PM, kinulpture said:

Tried speed light. Didn't work very well, for me. &, It only works for SL. Lumiya could do other places, like kitely, & osgrid. & Ya didn't have to wade thru sign this sign that.

Unfortunately, other grids' creators are not that friendly as Linden Lab.

SpeedLight is mobile+web viewer, so we have to maintain an ability to login from web as well. There are several restrictions in modern browsers: basically, the owner of the web service has to allow browsers to interact with it.

LL tech support greatly helped us and upgraded their login servers. Other grids are smaller, and it would be harder for them to make such infrastructure changes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bane Bracken said:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't since you don't have to use it, but alright.

Voice has take away from the SL experience of communication and social ability for quite a few of us,  alienating a whole user base of people that have issues with hearing, speaking and other norms that hurt our ability to communicate.    Text chat is the only way that is needed to communicate in SL.   

I understand what you’re saying but with respect, I completely disagree. You shouldn’t remove voice entirely just because not everyone can take advantage of that feature. There are places in SL that used to be full of people that are empty now for the sole reason that voice has been turned off there.

Also I strongly suggest you also take into account that there are a lot of people are physically unable to type and for whom voice is the only way that they can actually communicate in SL

With that being said I think we should leave it at that so as not to continue going off-topic.

Edited by Bane Bracken
Additional additional
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But it's free, right? Like most all viewers seem to be? 👍🏾

Free things are free and good until they are no longer useful, perhaps due to being overloaded,  or no longer free.  They are costing somebody money to operate.  When that someone cannot continue funding it themselves, they shut it down or attempt to charge.

Nothing about Second Life is free.  It is all paid for my someone.  You may not pay for the parts you use but Linden Lab does, and it gets money from other residents that covers the costs of the parts that can be used without direct payment from the user.  Likewise, any remote rendering client we have had available in the past has shut down because the money from paying users was insufficient to support the service, whether it had a non-paying tier or not.

I "did the math" when considering either trying a remote client or purchasing parts to assemble a computer that would comfortably render Second Life locally.  It was way less expensive for me to build the computer and pay for the energy it would consume, based on the number of hours I am on line daily.  Using this data I formed the assumption that the remote rendering client would either cease to be free, impose strict usage limitations, or both.  It did, for a while, then it was shut down due to insufficient cash flow from paying users.

Since then a couple more attempts have been made to offer this service to Second Life Residents.  The one I know of that survives is not specific to Second Life and is far from free.  Speedlight is new, appears to be doing something that is not strictly installing an existing or slightly modified Second Life Viewer on a remote host and accessing it remotely.  I hope Speedlight thrives in this endeavor.  I won't be using it because I built a computer to run Second Life Viewer on, but Good Times to those that do use it!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Dokter said:

Question about SpeedLight ... what makes it different from MetaChat? Looking in the app store they look the same except for the price.

Check the features on the change log on iOS it says patrons also have 3D view apparently but I've yet to see anything other than a screenshot myself.

• 2 months later...

OK So I have a bit of an odd thought in my head, and perhaps I am missing information.

Sometime back Apple announced it was moving away from the OpenGL graphic processing scripts which everyone uses and moving to a proprietary one called Metal API. Metal is being developed to be implemented ACCROSS ALL APPLE PRODUCTS. Including the mobile iOS.

Linden Labs when asked about Metal replied that it would be impossible for them to rewrite the core codes to allow metal to work so they would be unable to support Apple products once that change over happens. So has something changed and SL will run in Metal API now? Otherwise why develop an app on a system that in the near future will not function? Unless it is NEVER planned to have 3D elements, and is strictly a chat system?

17 hours ago, ErikWall said:

OK So I have a bit of an odd thought in my head, and perhaps I am missing information.

Sometime back Apple announced it was moving away from the OpenGL graphic processing scripts which everyone uses and moving to a proprietary one called Metal API. Metal is being developed to be implemented ACCROSS ALL APPLE PRODUCTS. Including the mobile iOS.

Linden Labs when asked about Metal replied that it would be impossible for them to rewrite the core codes to allow metal to work so they would be unable to support Apple products once that change over happens. So has something changed and SL will run in Metal API now? Otherwise why develop an app on a system that in the near future will not function? Unless it is NEVER planned to have 3D elements, and is strictly a chat system?

Metal will use a wrapper of sorts to access openGL 4.1 and Vulkan based graphics, it will be up to Apple to make sure people can develop for it, if not.   the only alternative will be chat based clients. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Alvin Ashland said:

i missed using  the Lumiya app that was taken off google play  due  to being illeagal

It was never illegal. For reasons unknown it was taken off the TPV list, the creator stopped developing it. it was taken off the play store if not by the creator, google because it no longer met the requirements to be on there. There are alternative means of getting the viewer from slide.me however it's not free

3 hours ago, Alvin Ashland said:

@Claireschen Hesten : why direct me to a website that isn't secure , Not secure websites are full of malware , hackers & yes Lumiya wasn't free in the Google play store.

You will likely be waiting a long time for the mobile android version to come out from LL and even then it will not have nearly the capabilities that Lumiya does. I've not heard of anyone in the inworld Lumiya group mention a problem with the Slide.me site but the version there is an older 3.2 instead of the last 3.42 one. Someone in the group might be able to recommend another source for the viewer otherwise.

16 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You will likely be waiting a long time for the mobile android version to come out from LL and even then it will not have nearly the capabilities that Lumiya does. I've not heard of anyone in the inworld Lumiya group mention a problem with the Slide.me site but the version there is an older 3.2 instead of the last 3.42 one. Someone in the group might be able to recommend another source for the viewer otherwise.

Hello does someone know if it is possible to buy lumiya with lindens?  because PayPal commission it's probably higher than price of this application😄

thank you very much n have a fantastic day

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, subgay said:

Hello does someone know if it is possible to buy lumiya with lindens?  because PayPal commission it's probably higher than price of this application😄

thank you very much n have a fantastic day

As soon L$ are a wordlwide accepted currency, you might be lucky, but till that time : no

22 hours ago, Alvin Ashland said:

@Claireschen Hesten : why direct me to a website that isn't secure , Not secure websites are full of malware , hackers & yes Lumiya wasn't free in the Google play store.

I was merely pointing out where the viewer is now available, i've never used the service since so wouldn't know how secure it is

On 8/22/2021 at 9:39 PM, Alvin Ashland said:

Cant wait for the SL Mobile  APP as i missed using  the Lumiya app that was taken off google play  due  to being illeagal that cost but movin on to the real deal & hope its free to download & use when its released 

Check out https://speedlight.io/ wich is actively being developed, is listed in the TPV directory and runs in your browser, on Android and on iOS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 6:39 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

As soon L$ are a wordlwide accepted currency, you might be lucky, but till that time : no

I wonder it would be so difficult to just set one webpage where we would be able to download Lumiya using linden dollars? This is a call for the Lumiya creator  or staff if she he is not available soon 

Thank you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.