The Coming Holidays

Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:21 PM, RowanMinx said:

Never in my life have I gone out on Black Friday.  I don't care what kind of deal I could get.  In fact, you couldn't pay me enough to do it.

I have vague memories of going out with my mother to these sales when I was a child. I'm pretty sure they were never as crazy or dangerous as they now are.

Maybe I'm just too old with a warped memory, but it really does seem to me that people were more respectful of others back then.  I truly don't ever remember seeing folks shove others down just to get something at a super discount.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have vague memories of going out with my mother to these sales when I was a child. I'm pretty sure they were never as crazy or dangerous as they now are.

Maybe I'm just too old with a warped memory, but it really does seem to me that people were more respectful of others back then.  I truly don't ever remember seeing folks shove others down just to get something at a super discount.

The only thing I remember vividly about Christmas when I was little was the tree.  We apparently didn't have a lot of money so dad would go out Christmas Eve and get a fresh tree on discount since it was Christmas Eve.  He and mom would bring it inside after we went to bed and decorate.  I remember being amazed that Santa brought presents AND a tree for us.

Obviously, I didn't know why at the time but it still makes me smile thinking about it.

I know mom never did the black Friday thing.  She was a big layaway at K-Mart shopper.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

She was a big layaway at K-Mart shopper.

OMG - I totally forgot about K-Mart layaway.  That is pretty much the only way we got new school clothes and the only reason I was ever glad that the fall clothing came out in late Spring (so there was plenty of time to get it paid for).

• Like 1

Our family doesn't celebrate the holidays, but I sure do love the time off from work..

I enjoy the time of year and been to friends houses that celebrate and always enjoyed that.. I still get into the spirit with them when I'm around them and them enjoying themselves.. I enjoy that a lot..

I don't really get my head tied up into what the holidays are about more than, it's just a good excuse to hang out with my friends and families more and have a good time..

That'll probably tone down a lot this season..

We'll probably do what we've always done with a gap in time from work, just get more stuff done around the farm and house..There is always something that needs getting done there.. hehehe

• Like 2

I'm not really big on the holidays to start with so they are pretty much just another day for me.  

I always take Dec 24th off work as it is Demon Spawn's birthday and then I alternate taking Xmas week off every other year.  I took the week off last year and went away, so this year I will be working my normal roster which will see me working Xmas day, as being elderly or infirm and needing help doesn't take time off.

May hit the beach or sales on Dec 26th as I do not work Saturdays so will have that day off!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It's so ridiculous, especially when you can go online.. Plus a lot of things like those big tv's get changed out for lessor models..

Myself, I've never done a black Friday because, for me there has always been online shopping and I'm glad.. I still wouldn't do that  gauntlet even if there wasn't online shopping.. I'd have mine done in November..hehehe

I wonder if the stores like walmart are going to make people come in like they were when there is a big crowd during the start of the shutdown,with only so many allowed in at a time and the others waiting in a line for their turn? Or will they be greedy and let them all loose to not hurt their sales?

Hopefully people do the smart thing and go online..

Black-Friday-Memes-6.jpg

black-friday-meme-11.jpg

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

I got nothing.

We had to jettison our plans. I have an immune disease and complications in recent weeks, more medicines than usual, which means I can't go anywhere or have people over, the doctors are insistent on this. I can go outside and see people six feet away, but it's gotten really cold at times here. I can't go to an outdoor restaurant as they are kind of really indoors now with tents and Cuomo is moving on them again soon.

My children are in jobs that have high COVID exposure (hospital, news crew, real estate) so they can't sit in my house. So that's that. I do not want turkey TV dinner so honestly? I think Afghan take out and not even Zoom. Zoom tires me. I'm going to be taking a long winter's nap since I hope to have a demanding job out the door by then. Every Thanksgiving of my life I have had to work because the places I worked for were in Europe or Russia and didn't celebrate it. But I would work like a half day and then have the turkey. This year, definitely not working.

I am grateful for all the Thanksgivings I have had, especially in places like Russia where people have served them to me even if they don't celebrate it. My two oldest best friends usually host T-day and we drive down there and it's a big party. Recent years became very saddened by losses of young men in Afghanistan. Five rode away -- two came back, like the Civil War. But new babies have been born. They are debating whether to have anything, either due to elderly, etc. 

I watched the Foo Fighters live last night. It was really strange. I mean, Dave Grohl in your living room! Pat Smear -- the guy is 60! -- was jumping as high as I've ever seen him, practically in your lap. I mean this is not Zoom, but even closer, live stream. And they found it weird and I did too. You realize why they have Chris Sharlett just sing that one song Everlong because Taylor Hawkins' job on the drum kit is so hard and fast he couldn't possibly sing. As it was they had 4 back-up girls, was one Dave's daughter? Anyway. If there was a live thing like that on Thursday even if it were just my nieces and nephews playing ukulele it would be nice!

I do have turkey and ham dinners in SL -- there are really nice ones by Newchurch and Luc Lameth. But it doesn't feel at all the same for me to have SL friends come to that in SL even though they might on another occasion like a birthday. Maybe this year will be the first.

PS among our family and friends especially in VA and MD people work at Home Depot or Wal-marts and they always had to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday. There's always be someone you'd be driving to work and then picking up some ingredient somebody forgot for the dinner. Now I think those companies are getting more lenient. As for shopping? Never on Black Friday. It's a zoo.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's so ridiculous, especially when you can go online.. Plus a lot of things like those big tv's get changed out for lessor models..

Myself, I've never done a black Friday because, for me there has always been online shopping and I'm glad.. I still wouldn't do that  gauntlet even if there wasn't online shopping.. I'd have mine done in November..hehehe

I wonder if the stores like walmart are going to make people come in like they were when there is a big crowd during the start of the shutdown,with only so many allowed in at a time and the others waiting in a line for their turn? Or will they be greedy and let them all loose to not hurt their sales?

Hopefully people do the smart thing and go online..

I've never done the Black Friday shopping actually in a store - not counting my childhood, going somewhere with my mom.  Even prior to Covid, I have done the majority of my non-grocery shopping online -- pretty much since the beginning of Amazon Prime.

Here in Colorado, almost everywhere is still limited to 50% of in-store capacity -- and many counties have dropped back down a level and thus their capacity limit is 25%.   That will make a difference in how those "first come, first server" sales happen.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I don't do the Black Friday or the day after Christmas sales, mainly for one reason.  Several years back we did the day after Christmas thing until I was at the local Target, with my arms full of wrapping paper.  Some woman came down the isle brandishing a large heavy roll of wrap yelling out of my way, out of my way!  She proceeding to coldcock me with it and several others in her way, knocking the wrap out of my hands, and almost knocking me to the floor.  No apology was forthcoming and I stood there for a moment stunned at what just happen.  I said out loud, " Nothing is worth this kind of abuse,"  and walked away and out the store.  I have never done a Black Friday weekend nor a after Christmas day sale since.  People are crazy.  

• Sad 4

On 11/12/2020 at 12:23 PM, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

holidays are a pain in the rear end and only an excuse for the lazy bums in the postal service not to work

Our postman must be the exception to this.  This young man literally jumps out of his truck and RUNS with packages to deliver them to homes.  Homes with long steep driveways and staircases up to the door.  Not just one house, but house after house after house. Not just one day, but every day. I've watched him.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.