Mesh eyes don't stay in place

Jammy Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I help a friend with her appearance by logging into her account and working on her avatar myself.

I added some mesh eyes that are used instead of the eyes that come with the Genus head. When I'm logged into that account, the eyes seem fine. When my friend is logged into her own avatar, and when her AO moves her head, the eyes sometimes seem to not be rigged correctly and fall back into her head, leaving empty space where they ought to be.

I'm wondering if there is some setting that is viewer specific that is causing this. Secondarily, I wonder what settings in general are viewer specific, by which I mean specific to the individual person's viewer.

Edited by NavanaxSacratus

20 minutes ago, NavanaxSacratus said:

I help a friend with her appearance by logging into her account and working on her avatar myself.

I added some mesh eyes that are used instead of the eyes that come with the Genus head. When I'm logged into that account, the eyes seem fine. When my friend is logged into her own avatar, and when her AO moves her head, the eyes sometimes seem to not be rigged correctly and fall back into her head, leaving empty space where they ought to be.

I'm wondering if there is some setting that is viewer specific that is causing this. Secondarily, I wonder what settings in general are viewer specific.

It could be the viewer. I’ve noticed in the past my eyes were in a different position in firestorm vs black dragon, but I haven’t seen that in the last couple of versions.

It’s a good idea in my experience, to attach 3rd party mesh eyes to the eyeball bones and adjust them to the correct position.

3 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

It could be the viewer. I’ve noticed in the past my eyes were in a different position in firestorm vs black dragon, but I haven’t seen that in the last couple of versions.

It’s a good idea in my experience, to attach 3rd party mesh eyes to the eyeball bones and adjust them to the correct position.

Janet, thanks, I'll look into adjusting the attachment.

I had the same problem with my Genus head (hadn't had that issue with Lelutka). It took forever and many adjustments but they work pretty well now. I "think" that it depends partly on the AO used (mine is both old and pretty active). If you jave noticed -- eyes (even system eyes) can be quite WRONG in some poses and animations.   

If you are going to try and fix this for her then using her AO and watching carefully where the eyes go and keep adjusting them a little at a time will likely work. It did for me, but as I say it took a long time.  I suggest adjusting each eye separately and as far as I know mesh eyes are always attached to eyes.   OH, I just remembered. You can turn off the "eye blinking" in the Genus head. I did that as when I first put it on I was blinking WAY too much for my taste. That might help some too.   

Good luck. Once you get it right, make and outfit  and tell her NOT to touch those eyes LOL.   

What @Chic Aeon said about the AO is correct. I had to buy new AO stands. When the avatar with Genus head look down, the eyes roll back in the head so only the edge is visible. It is annoying like heck. Many AO stands that are "girlie" and "shy" has the avatar looking down on her feet. Deleting those stands and buying new ones where the avatar does not bend her head and look down, helps a lot.

I will try what @Yuumo Ichibarasuggested too.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NavanaxSacratus said:

I'm wondering if there is some setting that is viewer specific that is causing this. Secondarily, I wonder what settings in general are viewer specific, by which I mean specific to the individual person's viewer.

I'll tell you what someone told me. You can reattach them to your ears. Right eye to right ear and left eye to right ear 😛 I know it sounds funny, but it works. :D Unless you want to use the eyes from the head, if your avatar is mesh you can use the eyes from the head and buy appliers, or use the colors for the eyes in the eye hud.  You probably know this already, but just in case.

• Like 1

@NavanaxSacratus I helped someone out with this a few months back, and I don't wear the Genus head now, so am kind of having to recall what I did but... I think I switched off the eye animation that is in the head hud. I actually found that as far as my own AO went, I straight away then no longer had a problem with the eyes rolling up, so I honestly think it is more to do with the head hud's own eye animation than a separate AO that someone is wearing. Well that was the case for me anyway. So yeah, try switching off the eye animation in the head hud, and see if that works.

Edited by Scarlett Fenutzini

I get this sometimes with certain stands, with my Catwa head, so it's definitely not head-specific. What I think happens is the animation lowers or raises the head but the eyes keep looking in the same direction. I think there's a setting in Firestorm to stop that from happening, but I've never found it, at least not one that works consistently.

31 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I get this sometimes with certain stands, with my Catwa head, so it's definitely not head-specific. What I think happens is the animation lowers or raises the head but the eyes keep looking in the same direction. I think there's a setting in Firestorm to stop that from happening, but I've never found it, at least not one that works consistently.

Disable random eye movement.

firestormavatarpreferencesfirestormavatar_orig.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Yea but why not start a riot and burn down these content creators who don't fix their stuff

Moving defunct stores to Marketplace Remainder Outlet would help. If the parcel where "see object in world" goes changes ownership or goes away, the store owner should get periodic messages to update their store. If no update happens, the store should be moved to Remainder Outlet. Same for store operators who don't log in for some number of months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just turning off the eye animation in the genus head hud was all I did, and it fixed it instantly. This has worked for a few others who tried it too, so not just me! It would be nice if creators fixed things like this, I agree, but if you can find a fairly easy way around it, there's probably a lot more fun stuff to do with your SL time, other complaining about something you can pretty much fix yourself, and isn't THAT huge a deal.

2 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

My eyes still move slightly just not all crazy like.  

Are we talking about stopping eye movements in the Genus HUD or in Firestorm >avatar>preferences?

I stopped it in Firestorm preferences. I did not have it on long, so it is possible it has tiny movements. But I have stopped to believe we all see the same all the times... Not in this case, but in other cases, I have done just as I have been told. And could not get the same result. Trying next day or next week, and it has behaved differently.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Are we talking about stopping eye movements in the Genus HUD or in Firestorm >avatar>preferences?

I stopped it in Firestorm preferences. I did not have it on long, so it is possible it has tiny movements. But I have stopped to believe we all see the same all the times... Not in this case, but in other cases, I have done just as I have been told. And could not get the same result. Trying next day or next week, and it has behaved differently.

As I don't use any of the rigged.eyes that come with.the heads, it may have something to do with.it.  I used unrigged  eyes and have movement shut off in firestorm and the head HUD.

I took a break from my genus head for this very reason... i got sick and tired of going to preferences>avatar to keep them normal. Im using my catwa HD head lately.. and no issues with eyes..which is a huge relief..and doesnt make my eyes look stupid lol..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.