{ Greenies } MoneyGrabber Stole L$80 from me: Is this legit?

Vanity Fair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

Well, this is a new one!!!

I have an alt named Artist Scientist and I just teleported into the Seniha store sim and I got this message immediately:

"{ Greenies } MoneyGrabber: [Redacted Name] stole 80L$ from Artist Scientist"

I check my total balance and it's at L$1. I can't remember if it was higher than that before I teleported in (it was probably higher).

Is this some kind of joke? Who should I report this to: Linden Lab? The owner of the sim? {Redacted name]? I've never come across this before and I'm stumped.

By the way, I did NOT get any sort of warning that anything was about to withdraw Lindens from my account, which is what I would have expected to see before this happened (if it really happened; I wish I could remember my Linden balance before this happened!). 

Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.

MoneyGrabber Message.png

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Haha 1

And now I am getting similar messages in chat about this MoneyGrabber stealing money from other people. Is this some new form of smearing other [Redacted Name]'s reputation or the Seniha store's reputation? This is BIZARRE.

The same name keep appearing in the [Redacred Name] messages:

MoneyGrabber 2.png

Edited by Vanity Fair

Aaaand I just found this on the SL Marketplace. Shouldn't this sort of sick joke be banned? I actually fell for this.Somebody who wouldn't know any better would go after the person named as the thief by the MoneyGrabber.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Greenies-MoneyGrabber-Bumper/19540664

Edited by Vanity Fair

Looks like a fake "steal" message. Very simple to do:

key lastAgent;
default{
    state_entry(){
        //Use less memory
        llSetMemoryLimit(0x2000);
    }
    collision_start(integer dt){
        //Iterate over each collision
        while(dt--){
            //If the collided entity is a agent
            if(llDetectedType(dt) == AGENT){
                //Get the agent's key
                key agent = llDetectedKey(0);
                //If the bumped person is not the last agent or last bump time is greater than 1 second
                if(agent != lastAgent || llGetTime() > 1){
                    //"steal" from the agent (See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_URI_Name_Space)
                    llSay(0, "secondlife:///app/agent/" + (string)llGetOwner() + "/completename stole L$" + (string)llRound(llFrand(90)+10) + " from secondlife:///app/agent/" + (string)agent + "/completename");
                    //Keep track of who we last bumped
                    lastAgent = agent;
                    //Reset debounce timer
                    llResetTime(); 
                    //Stop after this collision event to avoid spamming chat
                    return;
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

As you can see from the above code, it is simply a message put into chat. No real money is stolen.

In order for someone to take money from your account, you would have to:

1. Own the object
  2. Grant permissions to this big spooky dialog:

image.png.4c57c96e37ae87594aef251fb53adc7e.png

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Since it was YOU that the money apparently came from, did you bother to look in your transaction history to check.  I ran into this a few weeks ago and let the sim owner (FLF) know that the person (or bot) was there and that wasn't conducive to traffic. 

You KNOW if you think about it that people can't take money from you without your permission. 

This was pointed out in the post above.    

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Is not this an effective way to grief a place, to stand there and pretend you take money from visitors, so they leave? Since even old residents fall for it. And newer people would teleport out and never come back.

In my rational part of brain, I know I have to grant permission. But the emotional part, thinks "What if it is a new scam that bypass the rules?". I would not be comfortable in a place where a nasty trick script operates, even if I went and controlled my transaction history.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

Aaaand I just found this on the SL Marketplace. Shouldn't this sort of sick joke be banned? I actually fell for this.Somebody who wouldn't know any better would go after the person named as the thief by the MoneyGrabber.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Greenies-MoneyGrabber-Bumper/19540664

So flag it up then.........

8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Is not this an effective way to grief a place, to stand there and pretend you take money from visitors, so they leave? Since even old residents fall for it. And newer people would teleport out and never come back.

In my rational part of brain, I know I have to grant permission. But the emotional part, thinks "What if it is a new scam that bypass the rules?". I would not be comfortable in a place where a nasty trick script operates, even if I went and controlled my transaction history.

Yeah, sorry, I got triggered (even though I did check my transaction history immediately and saw nothing, @Chic Aeon). 

• Haha 2

Hmmm, an over reaction. I'm surprised ppl believe everything that is just in chat.

Next over reaction is calling to the pitchforks (flagging). Want to flag every configuable device too or every chat relay? Well on a place with a chat relay everything I type into the chat appears green. I don't even need a script. I have seen that type of chat b4, there are different jokes.

There are different colours for avatars, objects and system messages, maybe check that out too.

Guess I have a different view  because my 1st reaction is always to believe nothing. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Reminds me of a few years back, I used to moderate a few regions. This one 'griefer' used to come around, he'd walk up to people, extend his arm out with the selection animation like he's editing something, and say in chat "/copybot Vanity Fair" and then move on to someone else. Never rezzed a thing, just walked around doing that.

People were convinced he was stealing the clothes off their bodies, nonstop reports about him. It was actually pretty funny.

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.