Where did the land bots go?

shireena1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

just wondering..

Because i have a 1024 mainland i don't want anymore, and instead of just abandoning it, i was told there are land bots, and if you price it to sell at 0.5 L a meter, land bots pile up almost instantly and you sell it straightaway. Ok, i thought, set it for sale at 0.5 L .. waited.. waited.. nothing. Ok, set it for sale at 0.2L a meter.. waited..no land bots..  Oh well, if anyone wants a odd shaped 1024 for a few hundred L's, send me an IM or something, and i will reply as soon as i can.... ( if you reply i will give u the landmark)

I know i probably should have put this in the land forum, but it was just a question about the bots, really.

http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-bans-second-life-camping-bots-traffic-bot-alt-avatars/#:~:text=Video of Second Life Camping Bots%3A Other bots,and more use of the web site tools.

Article is from 2009.

Other bots will soon be banned as well such as those that automatically search for and purchase virtual land parcels. Those using bots will first be warned and then suspended or banned. Linden Lab hopes to remove the need for these land bots by allowing resident auctions between avatars and more use of the web site tools.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

As Silent says, LL made land bots illegal years ago.  They were taking advantage of people who didn't understand the details of how the land sale system worked, and were setting their land for sale at a very low price, intending it for a specific person...but setting it for sale "to anyone" instead of that specific person.

While they are a bit slower on the uptake than bots, real flesh and blood land flippers will notice your bargain-priced land.  Give them a few days.  You can also advertise it in the Land forum, and in the Marketplace if you have a store there.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

As Silent says, LL made land bots illegal years ago.  They were taking advantage of people who didn't understand the details of how the land sale system worked, and were setting their land for sale at a very low price, intending it for a specific person...but setting it for sale "to anyone" instead of that specific person.

While they are a bit slower on the uptake than bots, real flesh and blood land flippers will notice your bargain-priced land.  Give them a few days.  You can also advertise it in the Land forum, and in the Marketplace if you have a store there.

I lost my first land years ago because of not understanding how it worked.  wanted to move it to another account I had started to use and bam bot got it, bot owner refuses to return it "I dont return seaside land" is all I got...  so I've never bought mainland again and never will.  

• Sad 3

I trapped several land bots to abuse report their owners.  Upon hearing what I was doing, Michal Linden staged a little demonstration for a gathering.  I think he would have done it anyway.  He was fun.  He disabled land sales on a region then set a parcel for sale to anyone with a very low price.  Within a minute he had captured 8 land bots and an avatar with a driver.  It was funny so see.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

Where did the land bots go?

I drowned them. The rest got tossed into the volcano.

Well , that explains the groups of avatars you sometimes see underwater that look like they are not doing anything obvious. 😁

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, shireena1 said:

jOh well, if anyone wants a odd shaped 1024 for a few hundred L's

what you could try with an odd-shaped parcel is cut it into two. A regular 512m 16x32 and try to sell that for about 250L. Then reverse auction the other odd shape. Start at about 150L and then drop it in increments of 10L over some period. Someone will buy it eventually. Might only get 50L for it tho.  But if you do get 50L for it and 250L for the regular then 300L, a little under 0.3, which is a little bit more than the 0.2 you tried it at

1 hour ago, Maryanne Solo said:

They were combined into one mega bot, renamed Curiosity Rover, blasted into the ether and 
now its merrily cruising around on Mars :) 

I’ll always feel sad for the rover.  It sang happy birthday to itself in 2013 on its first “birthday”, all alone up there on that barren wasteland.  But the engineers said there was no scientific merit to having it do so again, so it’s been up there alone, but now in complete silence for seven years.  🎂 🎶 😢 👾 🤖 

• Sad 2

You could look at group owned land in the same region. They are often looking for small, 200 m parcels since they can have bought a 2048 m, but the group can hold 2048 x 10%.

It is hard to find parcels that includes the group bonus.

I agree with @Mollymews, make one regular shaped parcel of 512 and three small ones from the leftovers. No one will live on the small ones, but they buy it to add to their land impact.

This only works if the buyer live in the same sim/region as the tiny plots. I had 2048 m in a region and suddenly I saw some tiny, weird plots that I bought as soon as I saw them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

what you could try with an odd-shaped parcel is cut it into two. A regular 512m 16x32 and try to sell that for about 250L. Then reverse auction the other odd shape. Start at about 150L and then drop it in increments of 10L over some period. Someone will buy it eventually. Might only get 50L for it tho.  But if you do get 50L for it and 250L for the regular then 300L, a little under 0.3, which is a little bit more than the 0.2 you tried it at

Anyone buying the 512 will more than likely (at some point) want to buy the odd shaped parcel, too, so your suggestion is a really good one. Wish I had thought of it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.