Mainland Seasonal Decor Etiquette

Eidolon Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Regular mainland you can have whatever season you please for as long as you want. If you're talking about the planned communities like in Bellissaria, there may be more rules/suggestions like 1 month before and after a holiday/season.  SL is all over the world though, so your winter is someone else's summer. 

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
spelling, commas, extra word. The usual
  • Like 1

Unless your in one of the zoned/themed areas around the colour regions Bay/Nautilus City etc. where you aren't really supposed to veer off theme anything goes. The only exception i'd give is the Sansara snow lands and anywhere else with a snowy terrain it's not the best place to try and have a tropical beach paradise 

12 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Sansara snow lands and anywhere else with a snowy terrain it's not the best place to try and have a tropical beach paradise 

Which of course, since this is SL, means that's exactly where you put your tropical beach. :P

bilde.png.aa7418ccd223ec238c13bb991811b7cd.png

bilde.png.832aa4c99d90dd3644f62953c73e67ae.png

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

SL is all over the world though, so your winter is someone else's summer. 

Yep. I used to decorate for Northern Hemisphere seasons, then decided I was missing the point. Instead, I have some places with an autumn look year-round because it evokes (for me) the season of back-to-school, and I have a little snowland space for when I want winter. Personally, if I really wanted changing seasons on a parcel, I'd do it in a sky build, not the ground level, where I always try to leverage the adjacent environment and built-in terrain as much as possible. It's not so much etiquette to benefit the neighbors as it is using the neighbors' land as context for mine. But it's Mainland, so you do you.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 5:01 PM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

SL is all over the world though, so your winter is someone else's summer. 

This is what raises my eyes about the Bellisseria covenant. I get limits on holiday decor.

But right now half the planet is in late summer, and half is in late winter...

If, as happens to be the case for me - someone is a Northern Hemisphere person of Southern Hemisphere roots within living generations - should their build be restricted to:

1. The hemisphere LLs offices are in
  2. The hemisphere they live in
  3. The hemisphere they have active ties to
  4. The hemisphere of their choice...

This has not come up for me because I don't do seasonal... so it's a hypothetical for me. But I imagine something that could eventually be a real conflict if a Brazilian got a Linden Home and decided to do seasonal decor, or even holiday decor - think of Carnival after all - a holiday throughout latin cultures from Italian to Spanish to Chicano and more, but not recognized in the Anglo world that often dominates in SL.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

5 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

This is what raises my eyes about the Bellisseria covenant. I get limits on holiday decor.

But right now half the planet is in late summer, and half is in late winter...

If, as happens to be the case for me - someone is a Northern Hemisphere person of Southern Hemisphere roots within living generations - should their build be restricted to:

1. The hemisphere LLs offices are in
  2. The hemisphere they live in
  3. The hemisphere they have active ties to
  4. The hemisphere of their choice...

This has not come up for me because I don't do seasonal... so it's a hypothetical for me. But I imagine something that could eventually be a real conflict if a Brazilian got a Linden Home and decided to do seasonal decor, or even holiday decor - think of Carnival after all - a holiday throughout latin cultures from Italian to Spanish to Chicano and more, but not recognized in the Anglo world that often dominates in SL.

I think the main problem was those who cover the ground inside their parcel with snow. Solid white ground cover. And who had snowy fir trees, and snow emitters.

Am I wrong to say "Anglo - American Christmas" with the snow landscape is not popular in other than western culture?

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think the main problem was those who cover the ground inside their parcel with snow. Solid white ground cover. And who had snowy fir trees, and snow emitters.

Am I wrong to say "Anglo - American Christmas" with the snow landscape is not popular in other than western culture?

I'm using small italics for the side-topics this has got me thinking about... that probably should NOT be explored here...

I wouldn't actually know other than that - it's big in Japan; which is NOT Christian (90% Shinto if I recall right), but almost completely not present in Korea, which is about 40% evangelical Christian, and the rest an even split between Buddhist and 'what is this religion stuff you people are talking about'.

Then again that snow stuff is more correctly titled 'Capitalism Day' (it's largely decor that, while not started by Macy's, became a "thing" due to them) and is more cherished by people of marketing than people of faith. A century or two ago Christmas in the 'west' looked like it now does in Korea: A day to spend with family or at church, with minor gifts and maybe a meal.

That noted... wouldn't this then be bias? If only their holiday was seen as seasonally inappropriate.

I find it funny sometimes that the only times I can find a case of seeming 'reverse discrimination', it's white people against white people on a perception of allyship...

(this morning as I was thinking I needed to make a run to Trader Joes to get milk this weekend, I was remembering how they recently cancelled product lines like "Trader Jose" - that were used to call out lines themed to various nationalities... for me, those lines felt like that company 'recognizing and reaching out to me', but it got cancelled - because a white gen-Zer trying to be an ally said it was racist against me... and as I was thinking about that, I logged into the forums here).

When I look at it... I can't see them fairly only going after 'Snow Christmas' and Halloween; then letting somebody's "day of the dead' or 'Carnival' decor hang around for months. I think the policy actually came about in the month between Halloween and Christmas last year - as a reflection of a desire to get people to take down the one, put up the other, but then realize they should keep it time limited.

That said... a better read of it would just be generic: If you have a holiday you want to celebrate, do so, but keep it to the proper time limits before and after that holiday.

ps: I have two Jack-O-Lantern lamps out on my house... am I violating a holiday policy with them, is it subtle enough to not be a thing (is it cultural appropriation for me to have them if they are icon of Anglo-American culture and not Hispanic-American even though as an American we all actually kind of share a lot of our cultures, I went trick-or-treating too after all - and might just want to rethink how far we go with all this 'appropriation' stuff 😉 )...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 1:26 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

they recently cancelled product lines like "Trader Jose" - that were used to call out lines themed to various nationalities

I know this is off-topic, but did they in fact discontinue those brands? About a month ago they somewhat famously announced they would not be changing their branding in response to the petition that they do so. Many folks not particularly engaged in the great "cancel culture" debates nonetheless applauded this (non-)reaction as the voice of reason standing up to mass hysteria.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.