Second Life review on Wisegeek

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is one of the top search results for "Second Life". Article updated July 27, 2020, it claims. But that's fake; it's from 2006 or so.

cartoon-girl-with-green-hair.jpg

Avatars represent people in virtual communities. Yes, that's the illustration in the article.

"Property purchased in Second Life is owned by the buyer using a scheme referred to as Internet Protocol (IP) copyright. Some owners reward members for staying at their property with Linden dollars, the community's currency." Yes, that's what the article says.

LL marketing: reaching out to to Wisegeek might be indicated. Or figuring out some way to get them off the first page of search results.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I need to get me some land with an owner who'll pay me for staying there ASAP

Also, WTF are the comments under that article? So far I've read about three marriages that broke up because of Second Life?

Edited by SassySam87

I think what this author means is that camping is a thing (members getting paid for staying at someone's land...) but has some difficulties mastering the art of communication.

Further evidenced by them thinking that IP in this context means Internet Protocol.

3 hours ago, SassySam87 said:

Also, WTF are the comments under that article? So far I've read about three marriages that broke up because of Second Life?

I wouldn't be that surprised, every now and then I've seen people mentioning they've met and married people they met through SL right in their profiles. However, some of these stories do kinda sound like straight up what a soap-opera black mirror episode would look like 🤭

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It seems there was a comment added July 27, 2020. That may be the "update".

Oh, and that made it more current, increasing its search engine ranking. That's probably how this weird article somehow made it to the top of search results.

8 hours ago, SassySam87 said:

Yep it's happened before.  Was even on dr Phil  before. 

I started my SL career 12 years ago by camping for L$1 every 15 minutes, I think it was that.

It cost more for the electricity I used I'm sure.

I earned enough to buy into a Poker Tournament.

I won enough to keep playing and rented some land.

I developed and sub-leased the land, kept playing poker and camping and built up a realty business in 3 years that eventually controlled over a million meters of mainland.

Then they invented Private Estates and islands. Then they outlawed gambling. Then they stopped using "dwell' in search, which killed camping.

My Wife left me because I spent to much time in world. A Million Meters of land is a lot of work. I sold out and took a break for a couple years.

The Wife didn't last but SL did lol. My business is much smaller and I spend a lot less time in world but I'm still here, 12 plus years later.

Edited by Artorius Constantine
  • Haha 3

On 7/28/2020 at 4:37 AM, SassySam87 said:

I let people live for free, is that close enough?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NikolaosSakamoto said:

I let people live for free, is that close enough?

Probably not.  Most Role Play (RP) SIMs let people live for free.  Many are totally empty.  On the clubbing scene, clubs pop up all the time that try to establish a clientele by offering prizes for visiting. 

Just now, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Probably not.  Most Role Play (RP) SIMs let people live for free.  Many are totally empty.  On the clubbing scene, clubs pop up all the time that try to establish a clientele by offering prizes for visiting. 

I know, and it was halfway poking fun at the absurdity of claiming people get paid to live places in SL.  Now for some off topic-ish banter!

I do run such an RP place, and it does tend to sit empty for a few hours a day here and there.  I find most of the people who stick around are Scandanordiwhoovian people and Japanese folks who like that they've found a place which is, as was explained to me, "Japanese enough to be comfortable" (even though I has not going for that vibe at all.. just making it look like a little tiny urban area) but isn't overloaded with the ridiculous living anime/Japan fetish a lot of places tend to be.  Now that this is out of the way, I can tell you why my own place sits a ltitle empty.  I thought originally a lot of places sit empty because the "landlords" are either never around or are overbearing, and I still find that to be true, but I've learned other reasons some of these places fail:

1) Going into it expecting to first build up a community and then start charging rent.  Folks have told me they can kind of "sense" when that's what's going on

2) Skyboxes.  Don't allow them, at all.  Even if you have to cram housing in strange places (like on top of a McDonald's) you need to keep people near each other.

3)  Too damned big!  I used to hang out in a place modeled after Colorado and it was gorgeous!  So many beautiful houses and little things to do, places to eat... and confusing to get anywhere.  You had to drive a minimum of 15 minutes to go visit a friend... so it was easier just to teleport.  You can't develop a community if people can't take leisurely strolls to stuff.

4) This one blew my mind: apparently a lot of free sims exist mainly as a way for dudes to try and develop a harem.  I figured this one out because I noticed my land is almost entirely women and dudes don't stick around.  I asked a guy why, and apparently I am "flaunting my wealth" with my whole slightly more than 1/4 sim.  Paradoxically women stay on my land because I _don't_ try to bang them, but guys don't stick around because they think I am some sort of Mad Max tyrant.

...I just want people to play Cards Against Humanity with.

I don't remember where I was going with this rant so I'll shut up now

(PS: I provide free Mama-Allpa services as I RP Nick as a medic... and it blows my mind people charge money to do this!  It's good fun RP!)

• Haha 2

On 7/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, animats said:

Oh, and that made it more current, increasing its search engine ranking. That's probably how this weird article somehow made it to the top of search results.

Not for me 'taint. Search engine results are tailored to the individual. I see this article nowhere.

• Like 3

Google "filter bubble". Is wisegeek a site you frequent? Never  heard of it myself. My first page results look pretty good. Official site, wikipedia, panel of youtube videos (First three: official, official, one by Yorkie from 2019). Then Vice and Verge with "Is second life still a thing" type pieces  that aren't all that bad for what they are. My two cents.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.