Unsure what to do

Caroline Bunny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, 

So I signed up as a premium member about 3 weeks ago and went ahead and got a Linden home as I thought it would be a good starter. 

And now I slightly regret my decision because while I really LIKE my house and the Bellisseria area I am not in love with it. 

My question is this on whether I could do the following: 

• Abandon my Linden home 
  • Buy a parcel on mainland 
  • Rent out the parcel on mainland 
  • Rent myself somewhere on a smaller island from someone else 

How easy is it to buy mainland right now and what would I need to consider in case I want to rent out the mainland parcel? 

Any advice welcome and appreciated

27 minutes ago, carolion1989 said:

How easy is it to buy mainland right now

FInding a plot to rent on mainland isn't too difficult. Renting it out can be much harder unless you already have a tenant lined up for it.

31 minutes ago, carolion1989 said:

what would I need to consider in case I want to rent out the mainland parcel?

Maintaining a rental business in SL is a lot more work than people realize and a small operation isn't that much easier to run than a bigger one. With a business as small as this you can't really justify buying a professional rental system either and that makes it a lot more complicated.

Getting a long term tenant usually helps a lot though. Anybody who stays for less than a month is a dead loss even for the big rental businesses. If you're only planning to keep a 1024 m2 parcel for rent until your premium membership expires, find one tenant who is guaranteed to stay for the whole period. If yuo can't, it's really not worth the bother.

• Like 1

Frankly, in your place, II'd rather jump on the "Linden Home lottery" of abandoning your current one and hoping for another more to your liking. Rinse and repeat for as long as you wish.

That'll buy you time to (continue to, as you seem to have a basic idea) read up on the differences of land, how to buy a plot, how to rent it to someone else.

Like Chin already hinted, chances are very, very, very... did I say very?... slim that someone will be interested in renting your little bit of Mainland for enough money to cover your rental fee on a private estate.

Definitely buy the parcel on the mainland.  No need to deal with landlords and no silly Belliserria covenant and no crazy neighbors measuring your trees.  Renting a single parcel is not worth the trouble.  If you go into the rental business you need a lot of parcels and then the renters to pay for the tier fees.  Buy the parcel and use it for yourself.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, carolion1989 said:

Hi, 

So I signed up as a premium member about 3 weeks ago and went ahead and got a Linden home as I thought it would be a good starter. 

And now I slightly regret my decision because while I really LIKE my house and the Bellisseria area I am not in love with it. 

• Abandon my Linden home 

How easy is it to buy mainland right now and what would I need to consider in case I want to rent out the mainland parcel? 

One thing: The Linden home does not count against your land impact. You have all 351 to play with. When you buy mainland, you must start to see at the land impact for the house you want to place there. Because there, if you place out a 100 Li house, you are left with only 251 Li to decorate with.

I would say, abandon your home and hop around for a while. It has been some really nice abandoned houses lately. Try different kinds.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, carolion1989 said:

Abandon my Linden home

There are forum threads where people get a Linden home, abandon it, repeat.  You can join that club too, until you find your "perfect" home.

Honestly, Linden homes (and the land / covenants) are pretty good these days (the new batches).  Versus Mainland - you are taking a chance that you will like it - then if you don't, you have to SELL it (or abandon it and lose your L$ investment).

9 hours ago, carolion1989 said:

Hi, 

• Abandon my Linden home 

As opposed to buying a Mainland parcel, you could also look at picking up some Abandoned Mainland. I recently read that Mainland prices are a bit higher than they have been because of the new region shortage.  No clue if that is true or not.  You can find an Abandoned plot and submit a Support ticket to buy it directly from LL.  If it is not considered a highly desirable plot - next to water, next to road, etc.. -- then LL will often sell it directly to someone for 1 L$ per sqm.  Last I checked, it has been taking 3-10 business days for them to work the Land tickets, but if you find a place you like, it is a good option.

Side note - if you pull up the map and click areas that look empty, the parcel description will tell you if it is Abandoned.  LL will cut a parcel out of a large piece, assuming you aren't wanting to leave a tiny piece that would be of no use to anyone.  In the ticket, give LL the coordinates of the 4 corners of what you want cut for you.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

It is cheaper to rent a small parcel than have a premium membership.

Net of stipend, an Annual membership costs L$176 per week, so that would be the budget for a 1024 m² rental. (They exist; I see Prokofy has some Mainland 1024s at L$150/wk.)

On 7/16/2020 at 8:12 AM, carolion1989 said:

Hi, 

• Abandon my Linden home 

There is so much abandoned land around now you should dump the Linden home and buy 1024 of abandoned by scouting out a nice place and then filing a ticket with the Concierge to get the parcel for $1/m. Be sure to check the area with volume and water and land owners showing to make sure there are no hidden surprises. Put draw distance high and see if the area has anything you don't want to look at or keep de-rendering. Look at your neighbours' parcels as see their claim date to see if they are keepers.

And if you hate it then dump it and find another.

You can also contribute 1024 to a mainland rentals' group and get an equivalent rental -- I have this system as do others, 1025 = $700/wk credit which generally will give you a lot of prims, more than the Linden homes certainly.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.