Turn off the white dot?

sunnyrio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

How do I turn off that annoying white dot floating over my head without disabling voice?  Even if I'm not currently talking myself, I still want to hear others.  But that dot!  It's really irritating!

As far as I know, the only way to get rid of the dot is to disable voice.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

How do I turn off that annoying white dot floating over my head without disabling voice?  Even if I'm not currently talking myself, I still want to hear others.  But that dot!  It's really irritating!

The white dot is a visible indication that you have voice enabled. It shows for you and for everyone else. The only way to make the dot go away is to turn off voice.

4 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I haven't seen those dots in world for months, so I'm thinking people generally have voice turned off.

Do you have it turned on or off? They only show if YOU have it turned on too.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

is a thing that Linden might look at if you file a JIRA Request New Feature

something like a Debug Setting which turns off our dot on our viewer only. Other peoples' viewers would still show the dot over our head when we have Voice enabled

• Like 1

If you are using Firestorm Viewer.
Enable the Advanced menu in the top menu bar of the viewer with CTRL+ALT+D
Advanced -> Show debug settings.
Type or paste in the debug search bar: FSShowVoiceVisualizer
Set FSShowVoiceVisualizer to FALSE.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

oh oh oh.. learned a new trick! when in doubt poke whirly about something. she might know!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Unfortunately I'm just using the standard viewer.  I don't want more new stuff to learn just now!  Tried to find a similar thing in the normal viewer but failed.

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

is a thing that Linden might look at if you file a JIRA Request New Feature

something like a Debug Setting which turns off our dot on our viewer only. Other peoples' viewers would still show the dot over our head when we have Voice enabled

I found the bug tracker, but where is the request new feature?

I just tried Firestorm and was inundated with many useful extras that should be in the standard viewer, including the annoying white dot now gone!  I won't be using the standard rubbish any more.

Only thing to customize now is to remove the "report" buttons everywhere.  Everything you do in SL you can report people.  What is this police state?  I don't want to grass people off every 5 minutes.

Edited by sunnyrio
  • Haha 2

Firestorm used to be the cutting edge viewer. If you wanted new features 'first,' you used Firestorm. That has changed somewhat. The big new features like EEP come first in the Linden made SL Viewer. Firestorm (FS) still adds new "handy" stuff the users want. Some of those things make it into the Linden Viewer.

Features migrate between brands. The Black Dragon Viewer's Poser is planned to be in the Linden Viewer. No ETA.

The new EEP feature is being added to FS and we'll likely see it in the next FS release.

The Linden Viewer is designed with new users in mind. Seems the goal is to avoid overwhelming new users. I am not sure that is possible. FS compensates for their complexity by providing classes in using theer viewer. Black Dragon (BD) is designed for NiranV's personal use. Niran likes to see a beautifully render world and has added features for that and tweaked parts of the viewer. Unfortunately Niran doesn't like the  Linden Viewer user interface. So, it got changed in BD. That makes it difficult for people to switch between Linden, FS, and BD.

Then there is Catznip... it has awesome inventory tools.

Saying a viewer should have all the features of another brand of viewer is like saying Ford should have all the stuff GM puts in a Chevy. Life doesn't work that way.

But, finding FS means you have found SL's most popular viewer. Between 70% and 80% of residents use FS. I am not sure we can class it as the BEST viewer. I am crashing a lot when I use it, which may not be FS's fault. But, I use BD more and more to avoid the crashes.

People make viewers to suite their personal preferences.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.