getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Good news on this!

Senate passes sweeping police reform bill, limits qualified immunity protections

"Dubbed the Reform, Shift + Build Act, the bill creates a certification system for officers and third-party committee to oversee decertification proceedings. It bans the use of deadly and excessive force tactics like chokeholds and requires other officers to intervene when they witness their peers commit misconduct. The bill emphasizes de-escalation over punitive enforcement and allocates money to social and community programs.

The Senate passed a sweeping reform police package hours before daylight broke this morning, ending a 5-day stalemate over changes to qualified immunity protections for police that split Democrats and generated days of protests in front of the State House.

“This begins the long, necessary work of shifting power and resources to Black communities and communities of color who have, for too long, faced criminalization and punishment instead of investment,” said Sen. Sonia Chang-Diaz, D-Boston, following the roll-call vote of the Senate.

The bill now moves to the House, where it faces a fresh round of review. House leaders have already committed to a “public process for soliciting feedback” later this week — something opponents of the bill say the Senate skipped. It’s likely to face backlash from law enforcement agencies who have already spoken out in opposition, particularly to changes to qualified immunity that protects police from lawsuits in connection with misconduct on the job."

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/07/14/senate-passes-sweeping-police-reform-bill-limits-qualified-immunity/

It's only for the state of Massachusetts, its their state Senate and House you are referencing-not at the national level.

https://www.wwlp.com/news/state-politics/massachusetts-senate-passes-reform-shift-and-build-act/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

It's only for the state of Massachusetts, its their state Senate and House you are referencing-not at the national level.

https://www.wwlp.com/news/state-politics/massachusetts-senate-passes-reform-shift-and-build-act/

All journeys begin with one step!

I should quote the author of these wise words of wisdom by Lao Tzu, who said, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step".

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I should quote the author of these wise words of wisdom by Lao Tzu, who said, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step".

..and I was taught in school (college? Dunno) that if with each step you crossed half the distance, you will never actually reach your target / goal.

• Haha 2

Really like this plan, as so much of this extreme, armed, military-style policing is not needed:

City of Berkeley Approves Police Defunding Plan

Major changes are coming to the streets of Berkeley.  The city council is moving forward with a plan to stop using police officers to make traffic stops, a move that could cost the police half their budget.

The early morning decision by the city council aims to flat-out change how police operate in the city of Berkeley.

The plan is to take traffic enforcement out of police hands in favor of enforcement by unarmed city employees.

The police would also stop responding to homeless outreach and mental health crisis management calls. Instead, the city would create an unarmed community safety coalition, and pay for it by cutting the police budget in half.

"I think we can do this thoughtfully," said Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin. 

The mayor approves the plan but admits there will be disagreement.

"What a person in the hills thinks is safety may not be what a person in the flatlands thinks. We need to have that conversation around, what does health and safety mean for our community," he said. 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/east-bay/city-of-berkeley-approves-police-defunding-plan/2326874/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Really like this plan, as so much of this extreme, armed, military-style policing is not needed:

City of Berkeley Approves Police Defunding Plan

Major changes are coming to the streets of Berkeley.  The city council is moving forward with a plan to stop using police officers to make traffic stops, a move that could cost the police half their budget.

The early morning decision by the city council aims to flat-out change how police operate in the city of Berkeley.

The plan is to take traffic enforcement out of police hands in favor of enforcement by unarmed city employees.

The police would also stop responding to homeless outreach and mental health crisis management calls. Instead, the city would create an unarmed community safety coalition, and pay for it by cutting the police budget in half.

"I think we can do this thoughtfully," said Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin. 

The mayor approves the plan but admits there will be disagreement.

"What a person in the hills thinks is safety may not be what a person in the flatlands thinks. We need to have that conversation around, what does health and safety mean for our community," he said. 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/east-bay/city-of-berkeley-approves-police-defunding-plan/2326874/

Are you insane?  What world are you living in?  You have crime at record numbers all over your country and your response is to get rid of the people who are there to protect you from it? 

At the rate you're going, there will be no-one on the end of any 911 calls to come to your aid if you ever need them, so pray you stay safe.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

as so much of this extreme, armed, military-style policing is not needed

Have any of the proposals you've found included provisions for giving back to US Gov any military equipment?

I haven't come across that yet, but I bet it's out there somewhere!

BTW, how did the US ever come to this, being so authoritarian and giving too much power to security forces?  Do you know?  Many other so-called 1st world nations are not like the US.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Are you insane?  What world are you living in?  You have crime at record numbers all over your country and your response is to get rid of the people who are there to protect you from it? 

At the rate you're going, there will be no-one on the end of any 911 calls to come to your aid if you ever need them, so pray you stay safe.

The plan in many cases is to invest some of the money allocated to police to communities so that they have jobs and resources.  Much of crime relates to poverty, and when people have more resources they have no need to steal.

* Any cursory glance at police budgets and resources (like military tanks, for example) will show they are over-funded.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The plan in many cases is to invest some of the money allocated to police to communities so that they have jobs and resources.  Much of crime relates to poverty, and when people have more resources they have no need to steal.

So how does that stop the rapes, child abuse, murders, drug dealing and all the other crimes?  

Although here's an idea.  Maybe all that money that went to BLM should be used for that instead of going into politician's pockets.

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:
20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So how does that stop the rapes, child abuse, murders, drug dealing and all the other crimes?  

Although here's an idea.  Maybe all that money that went to BLM should be used for that instead of going into politician's pockets.

We don't need military-style police presence for such things as traffic stops, homelessness outreach, and mental health crisis management calls.  Often civilians are hurt in these interactions via using excessive force. Police are already funded well enough to deal with the severe types of crimes you've mentioned, plus creating a healthier community with some of the police funds will reduce much of the severe crime.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

So how does that stop the sexual abuse, child abuse, murders, drug dealing and all the other crimes?  

If you haven't checked the statistics, most of those crimes especially including sexual abuse and murder are committed by those under the influence of a drug or alcohol or both.  

Rehab is needed badly here.  

As far as drugs, Southern California needs help desperately.  For almost 40 years at least there has been a drug war in Southern California.  We need our borders better protected as well as our shipping ports and airports.  I'm so sick of the drugs here, Jordan.  So, sick of it.  The drugs are the main reason my nephew lives in another state as there are not drugs everywhere in the other state he lives in.  Here in my building I could find ten men today to score me drugs.  I've been asked.  I turned it all down as I don't do illegal drugs and never will.  May as well play Russian roulette with your brain.

It was a man named Timothy Leary in the 1960's who believed everyone should be on LSD.  Many at that time thought of Leary as a Guru and did the LSD, even the solders in Vietnam.    There is a Vietnam vet who lives in my building and he told me he took LSD before jumping out of the land to land in Vietnam.  Many drugs seem to happen during the time of Vietnam and I'm not sure why or how this occurred but we need to end this.

South America says it is not to blame for the drugs but that people should simply stop doing drugs.  Many of the drugs do come from South America as they are grown there but just having people not do the drugs is not enough and especially even more so now with the land of opportunity turning into a land of haves (the rich) and the have nots (the rest of us).   

I say let the FBI handle the "tough" and hardened criminals.  The drugs, somebody please help Los Angeles!  It's not safe for the kids here!  Drug dealers hang around the schools here too and there are 9 year old drug dealers.  

Okay, off my soap box now.  But, somebody needs to help the people growing up in this mess of drugs.  I say more specialty task forces are needed.

Here's a bit on Timothy Leary

Timothy Francis Leary (October 22, 1920 – May 31, 1996) was an American psychologist and writer known for his strong advocacy of psychedelic drugs.[1][2] Opinions of Leary are polarized, ranging from bold oracle to publicity hound. He was "a hero of American consciousness," according to Allen Ginsberg, and Tom Robbins called him a "brave neuronaut."[3] But to Louis Menand, it was a put-on: "The only things Leary was serious about were pleasure and renown." Leary was not a seeker of truth, according to Menand: "He liked women, he liked being the center of attention, and he liked to get high."[4]

As a clinical psychologist at Harvard University, Leary worked on the Harvard Psilocybin Project from 1960–62 (LSD and psilocybin were still legal in the United States at the time), resulting in the Concord Prison Experiment and the Marsh Chapel Experiment. The scientific legitimacy and ethics of his research were questioned by other Harvard faculty because he took psychedelics along with research subjects and pressured students to join in.[5][6][7] Leary and his colleague, Richard Alpert (who later became known as Ram Dass), were fired from Harvard University in May 1963.[8] Most people first heard of psychedelics after the Harvard scandal.[9]

Leary believed that LSD showed potential for therapeutic use in psychiatry. He used LSD himself and developed a philosophy of mind expansion and personal truth through LSD.[10][11] After leaving Harvard, he continued to publicly promote the use of psychedelic drugs and became a well-known figure of the counterculture of the 1960s. He popularized catchphrases that promoted his philosophy, such as "turn on, tune in, drop out", "set and setting", and "think for yourself and question authority". He also wrote and spoke frequently about transhumanist concepts of space migration, intelligence increase, and life extension (SMI²LE).[12] Leary developed the eight-circuit model of consciousness in his book Exo-Psychology (1977) and gave lectures, occasionally billing himself as a "performing philosopher".[13]

Edited by FairreLilette

22 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Crime rates in the United States have steadily declined since the mid '90s.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

So how does that stop the SEXUAL ABUSE, child abuse, murders, drug dealing and all the other crimes?  

If you haven't checked the statistics, most of those crimes especially including sexual abuse and murder are committed by those under the influence of a drug or alcohol or both.   (Please Note:  I had to change a word to sexual abuse because the censor will not let me say the r - word.)

Rehab is needed badly here.  

As far as drugs, Southern California needs help desperately.  For almost 40 years at least there has been a drug war in Southern California.  We need our borders better protected as well as our shipping ports and airports.  I'm so sick of the drugs here, Jordan.  So, sick of it.  The drugs are the main reason my nephew lives in another state as there are not drugs everywhere in the other state he lives in.  Here in my building I could find ten men today to score me drugs.  I've been asked.  I turned it all down as I don't do illegal drugs and never will.  May as well play Russian roulette with your brain.

It was a man named Timothy Leary in the 1960's who believed everyone should be on LSD.  Many at that time thought of Leary as a Guru and did the LSD, even the solders in Vietnam.    There is a Vietnam vet who lives in my building and he told me he took LSD before jumping out of the airplane to land in Vietnam.  Many drugs seem to happen during the time of Vietnam and I'm not sure why or how this occurred but we need to end this.

South America says it is not to blame for the drugs but that people should simply stop doing drugs.  Many of the drugs do come from South America as they are grown there but just having people not do the drugs is not enough and especially even more so now with the land of opportunity turning into a land of haves (the rich) and the have nots (the rest of us).   

I say let the FBI handle the "tough" and hardened criminals.  The drugs, somebody please help Los Angeles!  It's not safe for the kids here!  Drug dealers hang around the schools here too and there are 9 year old drug dealers.  

Okay, off my soap box now.  But, somebody needs to help the people growing up in this mess of drugs.  I say more specialty task forces are needed.

Here's a bit on Timothy Leary

Timothy Francis Leary (October 22, 1920 – May 31, 1996) was an American psychologist and writer known for his strong advocacy of psychedelic drugs.[1][2] Opinions of Leary are polarized, ranging from bold oracle to publicity hound. He was "a hero of American consciousness," according to Allen Ginsberg, and Tom Robbins called him a "brave neuronaut."[3] But to Louis Menand, it was a put-on: "The only things Leary was serious about were pleasure and renown." Leary was not a seeker of truth, according to Menand: "He liked women, he liked being the center of attention, and he liked to get high."[4]

As a clinical psychologist at Harvard University, Leary worked on the Harvard Psilocybin Project from 1960–62 (LSD and psilocybin were still legal in the United States at the time), resulting in the Concord Prison Experiment and the Marsh Chapel Experiment. The scientific legitimacy and ethics of his research were questioned by other Harvard faculty because he took psychedelics along with research subjects and pressured students to join in.[5][6][7] Leary and his colleague, Richard Alpert (who later became known as Ram Dass), were fired from Harvard University in May 1963.[8] Most people first heard of psychedelics after the Harvard scandal.[9]

Leary believed that LSD showed potential for therapeutic use in psychiatry. He used LSD himself and developed a philosophy of mind expansion and personal truth through LSD.[10][11] After leaving Harvard, he continued to publicly promote the use of psychedelic drugs and became a well-known figure of the counterculture of the 1960s. He popularized catchphrases that promoted his philosophy, such as "turn on, tune in, drop out", "set and setting", and "think for yourself and question authority". He also wrote and spoke frequently about transhumanist concepts of space migration, intelligence increase, and life extension (SMI²LE).[12] Leary developed the eight-circuit model of consciousness in his book Exo-Psychology (1977) and gave lectures, occasionally billing himself as a "performing philosopher".[13]

Edited by FairreLilette

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We don't need military-style police presence for such things as traffic stops, homelessness outreach, and mental health crisis management calls.  Often civilians are hurt in these interactions via using excessive force. Police are already funded well enough to deal with the severe types of crimes you've mentioned, plus creating a more healthy community with some of the police funds will reduce much of the severe crime.

And how many police are hurt or killed during traffic stops or mental health crisis calls?  I live in a country where our police do not even carry guns, and we had two policemen shot (one of them died) during a traffic stop earlier this month.  

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It was a man named Timothy Leary in the 1960's who believed everyone should be on LSD.

Drugs are definitely a problem, and we should focus on rehabilitation instead of prison as a solution (for all but the major dealers).  However, Timothy Leary is not responsible, nor is LSD the substance we should be concerned about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Crime rates in the United States have steadily declined since the mid '90s.

Yes they have, thanks to a tough stance on crime and a strong police force.  Take that away and what will happen though?  Just look at what has been happening in Chicago and New York over the past couple of weeks.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We don't need military-style police presence for such things as traffic stops, homelessness outreach, and mental health crisis management calls.  Often civilians are hurt in these interactions via using excessive force. Police are already funded well enough to deal with the severe types of crimes you've mentioned, plus creating a more healthy community with some of the police funds will reduce much of the severe crime.

And how many police are hurt or killed during traffic stops or mental health crisis calls?  I live in a country where our police do not even carry guns, and we had two policemen shot (one of them died) during a traffic stop earlier this month. 

I'd venture to say the police who would be hurt would be far less in number than citizens who would be harmed.  Sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils where we save the greater number of people and accept this as the best outcome.

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
16 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It was a man named Timothy Leary in the 1960's who believed everyone should be on LSD.

He spoke at my conservative university (college) when I was there, about 1984. Thank goodness for Tim and his work!

Check it OUT!    :)  .....the man who discovered LSD, and if I remember right a friend of Leary's.

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd venture to say the police who would be hurt would be far less in number than citizens who would be harmed.  Sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils where we save the greater number of people and accept this as the best outcome.

Unreal. O.o

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.