To stick a heart under the belt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh I love that song. One of my DJs plays it regularly at Noir, when he does a French-themed set. If you turn up this coming Sunday, you'll probably hear it there.

Here's another one that never fails to put me in a happy mood. 

(I'll spare you the 13-minute version by Benny Goodman).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OMG I love swing music!  I can’t listen without gushing tears. What is a greater testament to the human spirit and what used to Be America’s, than the most exuberant music imaginable while the world burned to the ground? 

Glenn Miller is my favorite. He died piloting a bomber. (This is from the bio pic.)

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

OMG I love swing music!  I can’t listen without gushing tears.

Dad was a Corsair pilot in WWII and learned engineering after the wary on the GI Bill. Mom and Dad's favorite tune was "String of Pearls"...

Thirty or so years ago at an air show, I watched Dad and his friend/our neighbor Walt (a ME-109 pilot, engineer and fan of the Corsair) run their hands, silently and gently, along the curves of a restored Corsair. That evening, in the airport's largest hanger, and under the wings of several restored bombers, Mom, Dad, Walt, Trudy (my emergency backup mom), and dozens of other couples, many frail, danced to the music of the Big Bands.

Sometimes you just can't hold back those tears.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

Oh, this gives me the happy feelings.

My dad was a jazz/swing musician (sax) in the Navy band after WWII. It's how he met my mom. The band was playing in London at the Hammersmith Palladium. My mom had nothing... was dirt poor... but needed a night of fun. She and her sister borrowed dresses and pumps from a dress shop Mom was working in, and they went to the show. There was a big staircase that led down into the ballroom. Dad saw Mom coming down the steps (she was grasping the rail trying not to fall because she wasn't used to wearing heels), turned to his buddy playing the trumpet, nodded at Mom and said, "That's the one for me."

Dad married Mom (a dramatic and romantic story in and of itself) and his buddy married her sister. 😊

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Dad saw Mom coming down the steps (she was grasping the rail trying not to fall because she wasn't used to wearing heels), turned to his buddy playing the trumpet, nodded at Mom and said, "That's the one for me."

Dad married Mom (a dramatic and romantic story in and of itself) and his buddy married her sister. 😊

Dad first saw Mom at a tavern. He leaned over to his buddy, pointed at Mom and said "that's the girl I'm gonna marry."

Two weeks later, Mom proposed to him.

Four years later, they got married.

Nineteen years after that, they had me.

Start with a bang and fizzle out... that's my folks!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Dad first saw Mom at a tavern. He leaned over to his buddy, pointed at Mom and said "that's the girl I'm gonna marry."

Two weeks later, Mom proposed to him.

Four years later, they got married.

Nineteen years later, they had me.

Start with a bang and fizzle out... that's my folks!

Yeah... Mom popped my oldest brother out before they were married. Long story, but he wasn't allowed to marry her for a few reasons (the Navy wouldn't allow it, and her mother had forced her to marry some nasty old man) and they had to wait to get officially hitched.

And then they had 7 more kids. There were lots of bangs... lol!

• Like 2

I realize this isn't the genre of the thread so far, but it is in the spirit of the comments I'm reading. I think my dad bought one record album in his entire life and this was it. I remember playing this over and over. I loved it and I'd stare at the cover for ages because I loved it, too. :)

• Like 1

Speaking of the Navy, according to NBC, they've relieved the captain of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt for sending an email to command authorities requesting aid for his crew of 5000...coronavirus was spreading through the ship.

The Big Stick was sent to Guam, and offloaded about half the crew there (and how Guam is going to care for that many potential coronavirus cases is anybody's guess.  Can they even test them to see who's positive?)

The captain wasn't relieved for asking for help.  He was relieved because he didn't use proper, secure channels and the message leaked to the news.  That has two undesirable effects.  1) It lets potential enemies know that one of our major warships is operating at half strength, and 2) it doesn't let the Navy brass cover up the situation.  I am not sure which issue was uppermost in their minds...

The whole issue of the military and coronavirus is a thorny one.  Military installations and ships are not set up to accommodate "social distancing".  The military has apparently been instructed to keep information about infections under wraps, for national security reasons, so no one...not the troops, not the public and (we hope) not our adversaries knows the real situation.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Really? Because the word "Navy" was used in this light-hearted thread about music we "have to" get into yet more politicized comments about COVID-19? Like there aren't other places to post? Gosh, speaking of the word "and" there's a NJ newspaper delivery man who is now delivering his papers AND groceries to needy people without charging for his services.

I really dislike it when people take it upon themselves to be the Forum police, so I admit my hypocrisy, but jeez, time and place. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I realize this isn't the genre of the thread so far, but it is in the spirit of the comments I'm reading. I think my dad bought one record album in his entire life and this was it. I remember playing this over and over. I loved it and I'd stare at the cover for ages because I loved it, too. :)

My mom Loved Herb Alpert!  I remember that cover!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.