Make Us Laugh!

10 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

temp laugh.jpg

When I lived on farmland with my mother, there was a male blond lab-shepard mix who'd come around to visit our dogs and who fathered 2 litters of puppies by two of our females. My mother called him Eric, because he reminded her of a blond viking, who always had a few cuts a scrapes from fighting with other dogs somewhere. 🐕 

One day one of our Mexican neighbors came by and said, "Hey, that's my dog." Mom told him he treated our place like a one of his homes and we called him "Eric". He said, "His name is Jose." I figured he had a different name at each house he visited.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

When I lived on farmland with my mother, there was a male blond lab-shepard mix who'd come around to visit our dogs and who fathered 2 litters of puppies by two of our females. My mother called him Eric, because he reminded her of a blond viking, who always had a few cuts a scrapes from fighting with other dogs somewhere. 🐕 

One day one of our Mexican neighbors came by and said, "Hey, that's my dog." Mom told him he treated our place like a one of his homes and we called him "Eric". He said, "His name is Jose." I figured he had a different name at each house he visited.

I saw a video yesterday that showed how very many names are basically "John". I wouldn't be surprised if Jose and Eric are basically the same name!

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Jose and Eric are basically the same name!

Then perhaps you'll be surprised - because they're not. John is from the Hebrew name Yohanan which means 'graced by God'. Eric comes from old Norse by putting together the words E- (aina-) and -Ríkr, which can be translated a variety of ways, meaning 'a ruler/nobleman/rich person unlike any other/without peers/alone'. Though it's more likely to mean 'a ruler mightier than any other' than 'a lonely rich guy'. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I saw a video yesterday that showed how very many names are basically "John". I wouldn't be surprised if Jose and Eric are basically the same name!

Certainly in Viking terms, Erik is not less popular than John or Jose. :D 

temp laugh.jpg

• Like 1

There have been discussions here on the Forum about "Hey" vs. "Hello" and even the much-despised, "Oy"!

I just saw a comedy "fake news" video with the script:

"A Northerner has been accused of terrorizing London by walking around saying, 'Hello'."

Found it!

• Haha 3

On 7/10/2023 at 1:15 AM, Orwar said:

Then perhaps you'll be surprised - because they're not. John is from the Hebrew name Yohanan which means 'graced by God'. Eric comes from old Norse by putting together the words E- (aina-) and -Ríkr, which can be translated a variety of ways, meaning 'a ruler/nobleman/rich person unlike any other/without peers/alone'. Though it's more likely to mean 'a ruler mightier than any other' than 'a lonely rich guy'. 

I'll take the lonely rich guy.

• Like 1